• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

Perhaps a CL change to "Mr Override" or "Mr RUL" is in order  :D

Pretty fantastic looking stuff Alex  &apls

Haljackey

7.5m el-RHW. They look so short!

Guess that happens when you are used to 15m high overpasses :P.

Great work guys!

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: noahclem on June 12, 2012, 12:22:15 PM
Perhaps a CL change to "Mr Override" or "Mr RUL" is in order  :D

It should be noted that there are a lot of things in RHW that are RUL-0 (Puzzle Pieces: Ramps and Overpass Pieces) that are being converted to RUL-2 (Overrides) when it was previously thought that RUL-0 was the only way (or the best way).
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

mike3775

Quote from: Haljackey on June 12, 2012, 12:23:11 PM
7.5m el-RHW. They look so short!

Guess that happens when you are used to 15m high overpasses :P.

Great work guys!

Yeah it is going to take some getting used to being able to build such low overpasses 

ps2owner

Just had to log in and say that you're awesome, Tarkus!
I officially can not wait for the next RHW.

Tarkus

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!  I'm glad everyone is as excited by the new developments as I am--and yes, the 7.5m stuff did take a little getting used to for me, too. :D

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 12, 2012, 12:39:20 PM
It should be noted that there are a lot of things in RHW that are RUL-0 (Puzzle Pieces: Ramps and Overpass Pieces) that are being converted to RUL-2 (Overrides) when it was previously thought that RUL-0 was the only way (or the best way).

That's actually been an on-going trend aiming toward that since Draggable GLR in 2007 . . . though it's reached a new level due to overrideable FLEX techniques. 

There's some items that have actually gone in the reverse direction, however.  Turn lanes are the most prominent example, in large part because of the software engineering disaster that draggable turn lane setups (especially the Road Turning Lanes) created when trying to implement override networks on top of them.  It took almost as much code to get the NWM to play nice with the Road Turning Lanes Plugin as it did to code the NWM in the first place.  Items that require or merit "finer control" like that, and especially the cosmetic pieces, make the most sense as puzzle pieces.

-Alex

mike3775

I for one am glad you have the patience that seems to be required in order to do all of this Tarkus. 

And that goes for everyone involved in any aspect of the NAM or NWM

packerfan386

Quote from: Tarkus on June 11, 2012, 09:52:16 PM
Quote from: packerfan386 on June 09, 2012, 08:12:09 PM
Will those chevrons be optional? Because some states don't use chevrons, my state for example uses diagonal hatches
They'll be included by default, but it'll be possible to easily change them.  I still have "chevronless" textures around that could be packaged up . . . someone else will probably have to do diagonal hatches, though.
That's cool, just as long the chevrons are an opt-out thing.

dragonshardz

Chevrons? Fewer puzzle pieces? Better functionality?

Yes please!

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: Tarkus on June 12, 2012, 12:08:31 PM
And this is a taste of what can happen now . . .

<snip>

Just need to add some more overrides in, and then the old puzzle pieces will become "officially" obsolete.

-Alex
I've seen enough RHW development pics to know where this is going. :D Finally, my RHW dreams are coming true! This is great work, Alex!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

chosenreject

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 07, 2012, 01:30:05 AM
Well, I could always make some NEL-CPs (Narrow Exit Lane Cosmetic Pieces) for the RHW-2 ;) I need to add some CPs anyway for the next RHW version...

May i suggest some 8C and 6C entrance and exit lane CPs? i don't think those networks have any. Is it possible to have the HOV lanes with the center median also? I really enjoy your cosmetic pieces they add so much to the RHW  &apls

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: chosenreject on June 13, 2012, 11:56:41 AM
Is it possible to have the HOV lanes with the center median also?

Technically, the 6C, 7C, and 8C already have HOV lane median pieces (and they've been there since V5; They're strictly eyecandy, though). They all share the same median.
<INACTIVE>
-----

chosenreject

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 13, 2012, 12:18:05 PM
Quote from: chosenreject on June 13, 2012, 11:56:41 AM
Is it possible to have the HOV lanes with the center median also?

Technically, the 6C, 7C, and 8C already have HOV lane median pieces (and they've been there since V5; They're strictly eyecandy, though). They all share the same median.

i am sorry, when i said median i meant to say hov lanes with the concrete barrier in between. when i plop the hov lanes the concrete barrier dissapears. unless maybe i am missing a file?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: chosenreject on June 14, 2012, 09:55:39 AM
i am sorry, when i said median i meant to say hov lanes with the concrete barrier in between. when i plop the hov lanes the concrete barrier dissapears. unless maybe i am missing a file?

That's because we didn't T21 in the barrier. :P
<INACTIVE>
-----

AngryBirdsFan436

Is this possible? a ground RHW-6C on top of an elevated RHW-6C?
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

Tarkus

Are you talking about a perpendicular overpass--e.g. something like this (but with 6C instead of 8C)?

If so, yes.

If you're referring to a 6C stacked on top of another 6C in a double-decker fashion, the answer is no, we will not be adding that, now or ever.

I should add a little note about mod progress . . . I've shifted gears toward fixing up some path files, and have nearly finished the ground-level RHW-2, MIS and RHW-4.

-Alex

Moonraker0

Quote from: Tarkus on June 15, 2012, 12:24:17 PMIf you're referring to a 6C stacked on top of another 6C in a double-decker fashion, the answer is no, we will not be adding that, now or ever.
Which is because they can't be added, AngryBirdsFan436, not necessarily because the NAM team doesn't want to.  The cars would jump between decks because of a game bug.  Just thought I'd clear that up.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Moonraker0 on June 15, 2012, 04:46:36 PM
The cars would jump between decks because of a game bug.

Not a bug, a limitation. There's a difference.

All paths are read two-dimensionally and height is disregarded. Doesn't matter how high the paths or offset the paths are; It would be no different than a ground-level network with an extra set of paths that coincide.

Capacity is an even bigger problem. Once again, not a bug, a limitation.
<INACTIVE>
-----

dragonshardz

I suppose a DDRHW6C would be technically possible, by using rail like DDRHW4 and having one deck go each direction, but the interface with anything else would be horribly messy.

Indiana Joe

I never even got the point of double decker RHW in the first place.  It's very uncommon in RL and I haven't found a use for it in SC4.  Don't be distracted by things like that!  Back to coding to eliminate puzzle pieces!