• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simpson

Fine update there David
I love the road who is looking very good
:thumbsup:

My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

pvarcoe

Ok, I gotta ask...
How did you plop those road signs without causing the road to have sidewalks?
Overhanging prop perhaps?

Very nice stuff David.

Andreas

Quote from: pvarcoe on August 11, 2008, 09:19:10 AM
Ok, I gotta ask...

I think it's called "SPM" ;)
Andreas

JoeST

andreas: I was guessing at that too :D
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

jplumbley

Quote from: pvarcoe on August 11, 2008, 09:19:10 AM
Ok, I gotta ask...

Very nice stuff David.

Not Overhanging Props... nope.  They are no wealth lots, I think.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

dedgren

So how do we do this, eh?

I'm a huge believer in the idea that it's the very small details- not a ton of them, mind you- but some, that often make the biggest impact on the realism of a pic.  In the built world, the eye is accustomed to seeing the usual "furniture" along roadsides: signs, phone poles, billboards, junk- that sort of stuff.  I have always had a few main criticisms of SC4 roadways- the striping is not realistic (I'm from the US, where we are always looking for the next passing zone), the shoulders are not realistic (more about that in a while), and the rights-of-way are generally sterile.  Oh sure, folks have tried to address this with LOTted stuff, signs and the like, but that leads to a degree of organization and repetition that defeats the purpose.

The built world, while it's certainly less random than nature (that's why, for you entropy-challenged out there, it's built), still is never perfect.  Nobody goes out and measures everything.  Signs are more or less a basic distance off the shoulder, but that varies.  Poles criss-cross the landscape not in formal and exact straight lines, but rather where the working guys and gals who place them "eyeball" them up.  If there's space in the easement, corners will be shaved, and unsuitable ground avoided.

So, what was the question... oh, how do I do this?  I'll tell you that...

Later (gotta go to work).

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

JoeST

uh david... stop trying to kill me :p

thankyou so much

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

bat

...all pictures there are looking wonderful!
Looking forward to more... ;)

Tarkus

Ah . . . sign "trees". :D  Very nice idea, I might add.  Certainly the most flexible sort of system.

This is all fantastic stuff as usual.  And I hope you've been having fun with the FAR/FARR. :)

-Alex

dedgren

Awww... work can wait another minute or two.

The sign pack I DLd did not include stop signs, otherwise I would have placed them along the side road.  I'll post more about it tonight.

Alex, you're correct- these plop from under the flora menu.  Because they are LOT independent, they don't invoke sidewalks on roads.  They are somewhat of a pain to place, but nothing good is too easy.

Now, later for real.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

thundercrack83

Wow, David!

There are no bounds to your creativity or to your pursuit for perfection!  These road signs are simply wonderful, my friend!

Magnificent work!

Dustin

deathtopumpkins

HA! I was right.  ()stsfd()

Those are so awesome. Why hasn't anyone thought of something like this before?

David, you rock.  :thumbsup:
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Kitsune

Whats wrong with no shoulders? Growing up in Alberta, I learned to drive on narrow main roads with no shoulders out in the mountains. Needless to say, it solved my earlier driving problem of driving a little bit crooked.  :D
~ NAM Team Member

wes.janson

David.. once again, you are part of making this game that much better. Thank you.

Quote from: Kitsune on August 11, 2008, 02:48:51 PM
Whats wrong with no shoulders? Growing up in Alberta, I learned to drive on narrow main roads with no shoulders out in the mountains. Needless to say, it solved my earlier driving problem of driving a little bit crooked.  :D

Alberta saved my crooked driving too. Those annoying bumps on the edge of the #1 sure now how to wake you up. I almost had to change my pants when I first encountered those.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

mightygoose

OM NOM NOM NOM...

[EDIT]:-Now in all seriousness, this is some truly fantastic work, It is these small touches that make seemingly simple images that much more realistic and living. I cannot wait to see this progress. (although my opinion on rail points still stands)((see my post on previous page))
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

ben_meissner

QuoteThey are somewhat of a pain to place, but nothing good is too easy.

I agree, the trouble would be worth it. The road signs look great. With these and the RRP stuff, the flora menu will be the only place I need to use.

Have you thought about park signage? Like this
Or park benches?

We have farm animals. How about wild animals that would reside in 3RR? Moose, deer, bison, bears.

Of course these are only suggestions, the possibilities are endless. I would offer to help with these, but as far as I know there are no custom content tools for Mac.(someone please let me know if there are)

Anxiously awaiting more

Ben

[EDIT] These reside on the other side of North Dakota from 3RR. Anyone up for it?

dragonshardz

David, is that floraplop sign pack publicly available?

Tarkus

It looks to me like David may have used ja/att's latest sign prop set for those, and just modded them to use under the flora menu.

-Alex (Tarkus)

girlfromverona

I am in absolute awe, David! You are officially King of SimCity, as far as I'm concerned!  ;D