• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Some American Football fields

Started by Chrisadams3997, September 28, 2007, 11:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisadams3997

Sorry RRP fans, but I'm taking a few days off to finished up an old project and try to get it released.  Some of yall might have seen some of it floating around between some of my and Travis's posts over the last several weeks.  Or you might have even seen the original posts back in March or so ::) on ST... So here's a teaser of the latest work on it ;D

Maybe I'll fill yall in on the rest tomorrow.
(Or you could just look at the LEX Candidacy board)

Chris

DFire870

You are my new favorite person. :D First the Rural Renewal Project, and now this. I've seen the other football fields in the LEX Candidacy Board and they look great. Now my high schools will look more complete (since I used urbanlegend's football field in every high school and it looks so repetitive).
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

XiahouDun

Fields look good. I've always said SC4 could use more middle/high school style football fields :thumbsup: My one question though is if the football field itself is a texture or a BAT?
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

Pat

Chris that is some killer fields.... great job  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Chrisadams3997

Thanks guys, lots of work put into them.

Well in full tradition of a Bat projects thread, they are indeed bat's, but in no more sense than a ploppable water tile is, as it's a rectagle with a UVW map applied, so the hard part is indeed the texturing.  I've chosen that approach for a few reasons.

In no particular order:

• Doing these in textures would take away any control in changing the size of the field after the texture is finished, and if you look at the candidacy thread(I'm leaving the technical discussions over there for now), I'm rendering some in two different sizes for flexibility.

• Textures also fix it's position in relation to the grid on a lot, whereas doing it this way always lot makers to move it over a couple meters one way or the other, again adding to flexibility. 

• It allows use of prop families to add diversity among lots without having to have multiple lots. 

• It allows me to produce more variations, as creating a series of 16x16 meter textures to piece together into a field is a LOT more work than rendering a field.

• If you've ever pieced together the maxis soccer field on a lot, you know how annoying fields built out of textures are.

• Fields to my knowledge are all built on level ground, which means you don't need slope tolerance.

And thanks to oppacity maps, they are by no means restricted to squares:

I'll be using this thread primarily as a showcase for the fields themselves, as some of these I will not even be producing lots for(though Travis will be using a couple of them in the near future :).)  Some time next week I'll be releasing a prop pack with a variety of fields, as well as some stands, Goal posts, pylons, etc. for me and Travis's lots as well as any other lotters that would like to use them.  That said, it doesn't take much for me to put together new textures on a field, so if anyone would like to request anything in particular, just show some RL source pics along with any other explanation(wording in endzones, endzone color, etc.) and I can make the texture.  Anyway, here's some that have made recently:

This are a couple Travis requested:
Based closely off the old Nomad field from the Stex

This was his original(just the field, not the rest of the lot):

Source Pic(and a good example of one ;))

Gmax Preview

And one more thing, a Press Box for the bleachers I'm working on:

Travis

As I've said before, you're amazing.  :thumbsup:

I'll be making lots for these soon, as soon as I finish rendering them.  ;)

ky72x

Hey!  I remember this on ST!  It's so awesome to see that you are still working on them.  :thumbsup:

- Kyle

skyliner

Those look awesome! If only my school could afford nice bleachers like those, the lights and a RUBBER TRACK! damn public school, always broke....

Filasimo

awesome work so far chris keep it up! aaaahh rubber tracks they were so great to run on when i had track meets back in HS
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Chrisadams3997

Kyle: I think the proper term is 'finally working on again' instead of 'still working on' :D.  But thier coming out this time :).

skyliner:  my public school had a larger stadium than that and a rubber track, but it probably depends on how large the school is too.  We had about 1,000 students, so.

And just for you, maybe if it did have a rubber track, it might have looked more like this one :P:

People who saw the old posts on ST might remember this one, though I've finished it now and got it ready to render.

Chris

skyliner

Our school has about 2000 kids but most schools in the innercity school district like mine is SFUSD, lack the  proper fields as were pretty broke. We have a dirt track and old bleachers. So when we practice for track, we have to commute to an arts school that has a track about a few miles away because they dont use it. Strangely enough it was the worst school in district but it was the only one with a rubber track! But when we face those suburban schools, we dont stand a chance!

Oh yeah, one of the schools, Burton got a rubber track and astro turf field because apparently, the 49ers donated money to the school for such things. I think its because it is close to the stadium.

Pat

WoW chris this is simply stunninng  :thumbsup: &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Chrisadams3997

Just to show my lots in action here and how the fields look alongside each other.  My lots will use the two textures seen here, both with normal and a dual purpose markings(to make 4 different possible fields) in prop families.  This also shows the new press box from a few angles, I kind of like how it came out, and it will appear randomly on these lots.

Chris

Pat

WOW very nice... i love your dual purpose fields they are looking greaaaaaat...

thundercrack83

These looks absolutely wonderful, my friend! They remind me of my high school's football stadium (high school football's kind of a big deal in Pennsylvania). The press boxes look great, too! I can't wait to see more progress!

jayo

How about a running track with athletics stuff in the middle :P
I'm back

Pat Riot

you are my hero!!! ive sent you a pm asking for the TG feild model, im having trouble finding a good feild, so so far ive only been able to do "Patriots" inspired stadiums.

Chrisadams3997

Pat: thanks a lot

thundercrack: Well, I'm from Texas, so I understand-only there's no kinda in the big deal part here :P.  Appreciate you looking in here.

jayo:  pictures, pictures....

Pat riot:  already on it's way.

Pat Riot

eh..thats the only thing i dislike about massachusetts. In texas or calafornia, or pennsylvania, if someone throws 30 touchdowns, they are automatically in a D1 school. In massachusetts, if you do really really good you might get into BC, but thats it as far as D1 schools go. course BCs lookin pretty good right now, eh? and then at the games in texas, everyones glued to the game in the stands. at my schools game last night, there were a 1000 plus people there, and maybe 400 of them actually watched the game, everyone else just did other stuff like play football and socialize. In fact i bet half the people there probably didnt know the final score.

Chrisadams3997

Just a little update here, but I'm slowly getting more of these actually ingame and that's got me excited.  I've tweaked one the textures(the original one) to fit in a little better(the markings in particular are toned down considerably and the color's had some blue added to it) and added another that's basically a neutral version of the TG field to the prop family for my lots.