• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bordertown - Challenge 4 by tooheys

Started by tooheys, May 01, 2009, 11:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooheys

Hmm, I seem to be waiting on a message from the separatists. What could they possibly want  %confuso

antn

I have been chosen to represent the separatists. What we want is for you to build a town in Tile H.
This is a map of what we want.

1. Jobs and housing.
We need jobs and decent housing as anyone else, we want you to zone for industry in the gray areas of the map, in the rest of the town we want mixed residential and commercial neighbourhoods. For now we will settle with homes and jobs for at least 1200 people. We also want farms developed along Route 87.

2. Power
As we don't have a power station on our side of the river we need you to build one for us, this should be located in the industrial district (marked with gray on the map). You can choose the source of power, but it needs to be environmental friendly, we do not want any three-eyed fish in our catch during our next year fish festival.

3. Education, safety and health.
Even if we may use some unorthodox methods of making our voices heard we still want to feel safe, so we need policing and firefighting capabilities, build us a police station and a fire station. We have also understood that there may be some better ways to destroy roads and rail than using harvesters and we do not want our kids to make the same mistake as we did when it is their turn to rebel against the federal government, build us a school and a library. For us to stay as healthy as we are we need a medical station. All these buildings are to be built in the area marked in a green tone, between these buildings, if there is room, we want parks.

If you for any reason feel that the planned streets and roads is not enough for you to meet my demands you may extend the road network in the area south of the town and east from route 87 and the area east of the town, but you may not build east of the river. I hope it is clear what you should do but if you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck!

tooheys

Message understood. Now if I could only get my workers out of the pub  ::)

tooheys

Mr antn, if I could ask for a minute of your time, a slight problem has been encountered.

After finally getting them out of the pub, I've had my best town planners (might be overstated, their main
qualifications are that they're good at jigsaws) surveying the land and I must humbly report that the
planned road network, well, it just don't quite fit.

This is what we consider a suitable alternative, close to the original plan, and we hope in you infinite wisdom,
you agree that we proceed on this basis.

We await your reply

Mayor tooheys

antn

Your alternative to the original plans seems to work, you may proceed.

tooheys

Mr antn, development is coming along nicely in Bancroft Bends. All demands will be met on time.

We do seek one minor change to such demands. The fire station, police station, school and library are all in place, and there's even a park as well. However, to place the park, it is necessary to build the hospital across the road as follows (orange area):-

This will not impact on other demands as population is already over 1200, there are several commercial areas and the industrial area is fully developed.

We hope you agree, but workers are standing by to demolish the park if need be.

Mayor tooheys

antn

You may build the hospital across the road, park space is needed even in such small communities as this and as the other conditions are met I see no problem with building the hospital there.

mrbisonm

Reminder,

You have a little over 24 hours left to fill your challenge, remember this please.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

tooheys

Thanks Fred. Almost done and it will be posted within the next 6-7 hours.

Dave

tooheys

Copy of Orders to turtle

Quote from: tooheys on May 04, 2009, 01:36:19 AM
Mayor Turtle, I have recently surveyed the north and have some concerns that need to be fixed immediately.

First and foremost, we are worried that we have no presence around the region's only remaining road crossing at
Bordertown. We could increase patrols to stop illegal crossings, but why not just develop the north side and rely
on the eagle eyes of our separatists and their families. So we now request that you commence work on the following:

1. Green A : Build a residential area, low density only.

2. Green B : Build a residential area, a mix of low and medium density.

3. In or near the above two areas build an elementary school to provide basic education
    for our young ones.

While it is expected that areas A & B are fully built out, we have no objection to a park or two being included for
the enjoyment of our people.

4. Blue : Build a small commercial area. No highrise allowed and include a supermarket/mall (no smaller than 4 x 4)
for the people to shop for food and clothing.

5. Purple : Build a riverfront walkway and park area for the people to relax (and scan the
  river for illegals). A statue of me would be an added treat, but is not essential, just
desirable.

6. Yellow : We need to improve our supply of weapons, barbed wire and televisions.
  Please build an industrial area here. Some of the required components do come from 
  dirty industry so it is expected to see one or two chimneys spewing out smoke and other
  toxic fumes. But not too may though, we have to look out for the health of our workers.

7. Build one fire and one police station. These can be placed anywhere other than the
   residential or riverfront park areas.

8. Brown ; We have control of the power plant so no additional plants should be required.
   However if needed a small plant can be constructed here to cover any shortfall. (top right corner, it's a bit hard to see)

9. A water tower may be constructed if needed and can be placed anywhere.

10. Please ensure there is a suitable bus network to transport people between the residential and commercial/industrial areas.

And most importantly, I need somewhere to live when I'm inspecting the area:

11. Green – Secure : Build me a grand home in a secure compound.

So that's it. I've set no population targets, this is all around development. I hope I've explained things clearly enough, but please let me know if you have any questions.

Now get to work Mr Mayor.

Dave the Separatist

Meeting the Demands of antn

Bancroft Bend (Tile H) - Population 1,880

Farms along Route 87

The industrial area and the power plant which uses thermal energy, no three headed fish here.
You can also see one of several small commercial areas behind the water tower.

Public services, here we have the school. Across the road is the fire and police station seperated by a
park and the library. A medical clinic is located just above the fire station.

Above and below a closer view of some of the residential area and more of the parks created for
the people. You can also see another small commercial area in the picture below.

Work to the North

Bancroft

Work north of the river has been a little slow as most of our workers have been sent to
the south to work in Bancroft Bend. However Bancroft has still shown some good growth,
although the workmanship may be a bit shoddy. Something for the lawyers to fight over in the
years to come.

The Memorial - Bancroft

Recently built to remember those still trapped across the river. The memorial is slightly elevated to provide a
great view of the opposite bank and despite some rumours, Mayor tooheys confirms that there is no military
presence on the site (well none he can tell you about anyway).

The prevalent winds in the area come from the NE. The locals have taken advantage of this and purchase balloons
from a couple of scammers entrepreneurs. On these they write messages of goodwill to their southern neighbours before
releasing the balloons to be carried by the winds over the main southern town of Bancroft Crossing.

One foolhardy soul bought up all the balloons one day and attempted to soar across the river. You can see his grave just
in front of the memorial. It wasn't the fall that killed him, but the sudden pop at the end  $%Grinno$%.

Jmouse

Absolutely outrageous! Completely irreverent! I love it!

Later...
Joan

turtle

Wow, this development looks great! Nice farms also!

I really like the silos near the powerplant. Could you provide a link for them?
My name is Thomas...

newsimaddict

The farm picture with the long driveway is fantastic - great job on it!

mrbisonm

Glad you were able to finish this challenge without too many difficulties again, now did you?. We have taken notice of your pictures and your separatist demand. Thank you.

Now we will take the time again to judge it properly which may take a few days. We will have the time enough to do so since the next challenge will have  two weeks to be worked on.
You still have no right at all to touch the separatists side of the region, but you can build whatever your desire is in your half, of course with fully respecting the general Rules.
Thank you and Good luck. Lynn already started judging some days ago.

Lynn and Fred

tooheys

Thanks for the comments everyone. turtle, the silos are here http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=14944. If that doesnt work just search the STEX under Aigo Cement Storage Tanks

Dave

antn

You have met our demands with grandeur and we are pleased with our new town, it is really neat.

turtle

Quote from: tooheys on May 18, 2009, 12:03:28 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. turtle, the silos are here http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=14944. If that doesnt work just search the STEX under Aigo Cement Storage Tanks

Dave

Thanks, I've got them now

Thomas
My name is Thomas...

mrbisonm

Judgements for challenge 4.

We have been away from judgements for the summer, first because of some illness of Lynn's mother and then missing some free time, after we took an almost two month vacation, but now we're back judging. Most of these judgements were done since quite a while, but only on paper.
This challenge was a bit harder to judge than others, because orders were given by an adversary, so we will judge it so, putting ourselves in the shoes of the adversary. I must say that we also were very generous with points at this time, something that we will change a little bit for the next coming challenges. Don't worry, we won't start giving bad points now..... ;) Please go and judge my challenge 4 now. Thank you.

1.  Your demands to the adversary are great, well done and thought over and excellently presented. A solid 5 points.

2.  You have completed the demands of your separatist like no one else has I think. They are on the millimeter correct to the plans that antn proposed, probably having measured every distance....lol... Great job. 5 points without doubt.

3.  The statue is wonderful too and therefore another 5 points are added.

Besides missing an exiting looking downtown, your challenge was very nicely done and earned you a total of 15 points. Very good job.!

Fred and Lynn