• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Challenge 6

Started by MandelSoft, June 20, 2009, 08:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

Challenge 6

Summer is coming and the Gouvernour and his wife want to go on vacation. Therefore, we must build a beach, an hotel and a restaurant. But not just a random beach/hotel/restaurant, but an extraordinary beach/hotel/restaurant. This is the hard part of the challenge. And to be honest, it looks like I haven't enough experience to build a special beach, so excuse me if it's looking bad  ()sad().

But first, let's see the region view.

Changes in the north (former Seperatists) side of the region:
- Connected the rails from Quad A with Quad C and E in Pattersville (Quad B). The rail connects Camelot (Quad C) and Land's End, a important industrial area(Quad F) with the rest of the region.
- Extended the farmland and ressidential area in Bordertown (Quad E). New rail bridge constructed over the central river (Loyer)
- Michaelstown founded (a small village) on Quad F. Connected all road stubs to each other.
- Extended the industrial area from Quad Q to Quad L (as requested by Dedgren in Challenge 4). New road bridge constructed over the central river (Loyer)

I hope I didn't make too much changes on that side of my region.

Changes in the south side of the region:
- Renamed a few cities (Loyerburg->Rokkeveen, Grensstad->Seghwaert, Overvloede->Palenstijn, Anderheide->Driemanspolder, Oosterfoort->Oosterheem). Why? Because the citynames are now all named after a city district in Zoetermeer (where I live, in the city district of Rokkeveen-West).
- Connected rail from Noordhove (Quad H) with the main railway.
- Founded Meerzicht on Quad L.
- Founded Oosterheem on Quad M.

There are still checkpoints located on the N10/A10, but they are open again.

O.K. Let's go to the beach resort town, Oosterheem (Quad M)!

As you can see, the beach, the restaurant and the Hotels are very close to each other, so you can easily walk from one of those areas to another.

The beach is - even in my eyes - not so very special (I could try to promote my beach, but it wouldn't help much). I tried various things, but this was the best I can get  (believe me; the sandy beach I had constructed at first looked bad, and even worse in region view!):

That was the beach, so now we move on to the better part of my Challenge: the hotels. You can choose between two hotels: the Maxis Holiday Hotel (with extra luxurious interiors and suites) or the Hilton Hotel. Both hotels offer a nice view over the sea.

And of course, Oosterheem offers an top class restaurant: Deep Blue Seafood Restaurant. You can order exotic dinners here. How about squid? Or caviar? Or maybe you just want a Pizza Fruit di Mare? You can eat it all here!

Well, that's it for today!

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

jmyers2043

What I like the best is the sandy area you put together that lies across the road from the waterfront. Especially the bonfire. The straw roofed cabana's give the scene a tropical feel.

Good Luck.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

turtle

Hello Maarten

Here's my judgement:

1. Bordercrossing: Looks sufficient. could use a parking lot or building next to them. 3 points

2. Beach: I quite like the beach. The sandy area ahead of the hotel is quite unique. 4 points

3. Hotel: Nice hotel, and a good effort in the surroundings 3 points

4. Restaurant: Looks like a great place to eat. 4 points

This gives a total of 14 points

edit: oops, yeah you're right - it's 14 points. sorry
My name is Thomas...

soulchaser

Hi mrtnrln,
here's my opinion on your Ch. 6:

1. Bordercrossing: Another "Toll"-Checkpoint. At least you can't avoid these, otherwise, you would go faaaaaar down. 3 Pts.
2. Beach: I like the idea of your "camping beach", divided from the rest by a street. The real beach is a bit empty. 4 Pts.
3. Hotel: I don't like the choice for your hotels, because there are so many nicer BATs out there. The placement is good, though. 3 Pts.
4. Restaurant: Compared to the hotels, the restaurant is quite uniqe and you have chosen a nice place to put it on. But the surrounding is kond of poor. 4 Pts.

That's a total of 14 Points.

And turtle: that's 14 Points. ;)

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

BarbyW

My points:

1. Border crossing - excellent border crossing. 5 pts
2. Beach - odd way to show the beach. 2 pts
3. Hotel - not sure either make me think of luxury. Could be traffic noise.  3 pts
4. Restaurant - luxury dining at the edge of the sea 4 pts

Total points: 14
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

threestooges

Border crossing: simple but effective: 4 points

Beach: good lots, but they just need to be blended into the terrain a bit better, and connected to the water. 3 points

Hotel: basic setup, but they don't look bad: 3 points

Restaurant: Good BAT (which one is it?) but needs some work on the surroundings. Try to put some flora or things around the lot so it doesn't seem so rigidly placed on the terrain: 3 points

13 points

jmyers2043

Border crossing - 4 - Good crossing

Beach - 4 - The beach needs to be near the water and I'd have given it a 3 for that.  I do like the cabana's. And I can just small the clams and other shellfish steaming underneath wet palm leaves in that fire pit. Those last two details merit an additional point.   

Hotel - 3 - I usually stay at hotels like this when I'm on a business trip. I was hoping for something more exotic. Like the Maxis Resort hotel you placed in the scene. Why is that not your resort hotel?

Restaurant - 4 - I like the Deep Blue Seafood place. But I would have spent an extra minute or two to get the pilings to display properly for the picture. It's like the difference between leaving the grid on or taking it off (which I often do  :o  then have to go back to take a second snap)

Points = 15
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)