• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metarvo

Quote from: A200 on January 22, 2009, 05:07:13 PM
People around here seem to have very little respect of Maxis' work in designing the game and creating the transport types, and it some people here seem to have a big chip on their shoulder that the work they produce (which might I say is at a high standard) is better than the original game itself.

$%#Ninj2

Alex is doing a good thing.  Actually, if this game were perfect, there would be no need for any custom content.  However, there are some widely desired concepts missing from the vanilla game.  Even RH/Deluxe didn't fill in all of the blanks, but our community has managed to create a wealth of content that makes this game much more versatile.  You must admit that there are some items and concepts which Maxis left out.  For example, Maxis left out diagonal streets, but the NAM corrects it.  That's at least one thing I can think of that would, IMHO, make this a better game that the initial product.  Of course, we wouldn't even have an RHW if it weren't for custom content, but the great work of Alex and all others involved provides us with this option.  As such, it is an option, as the RHW is not required to play the game, but those who want it and choose to use it can enjoy the full benefits.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Patricius Maximus

Why do you continually call the Maxis Highways the FHW (fake highway)??? It isn't a "fake" highway!!! It is simply a different type of freeway, far better accustomed for urban use and in CBDs than the RHW is :P But the RHW is better in rural areas and areas where you have enough space to take up a whole city tile in a big interchange  :-\

Sorry, but this is one thing that annoys me around here, the continual bagging of the Maxis Highways. If you want to call it something, call it the MHW.  :angrymore: People around here seem to have very little respect of Maxis' work in designing the game and creating the transport types, and it some people here seem to have a big chip on their shoulder that the work they produce (which might I say is at a high standard) is better than the original game itself.

A200 :)

Some do call Maxis highways Fake Highways, or FHW, but I do not refer to them as "fake highways". Indeed, as I have indicated in my previous post, Maxis highways still have some uses in my regions, but RHW has largely supplanted it. Note the key phrase "in my regions". My regions are not the same as your regions, and Maxis highway may be very useful, or even preferable, in your regions, or you may simply use it as a matter of choice.

I refer to Maxis Highways as "FHW", firstly because it is a convenient abbreviation, and secondly because "FHW" evokes for me the image of a freeway, and for me at least the "F" stands for freeway, not fake. "FHW" also rhymes with "RHW", and is convenient to use in discussions.

Do not assume that everyone uses every abbreviation the same way. Just look at "RAM" -- it can mean Random Access Memory or Rail Addon Mod. Same thing with FHW. In this case, it is not what you use, but how you use it.

txbeatz

Im sorry to sound like a dumass , but ive been trying for 3 days to download the RHW and there is no "download" or "click here" link on the page http://www.sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=853  -- someone please tell me something ! lol  ( new to the site )

Dino007

@tkbeatz:
Here the link to RHW download site:

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=853

P.S. You have to register at LEX to.
TIGR

jeronij

Why do you continually call the Maxis Highways the FHW (fake highway)??? It isn't a "fake" highway!!! It is simply a different type of freeway, far better accustomed for urban use and in CBDs than the RHW is :P But the RHW is better in rural areas and areas where you have enough space to take up a whole city tile in a big interchange  :-\

Sorry, but this is one thing that annoys me around here, the continual bagging of the Maxis Highways. If you want to call it something, call it the MHW.  :angrymore: People around here seem to have very little respect of Maxis' work in designing the game and creating the transport types, and it some people here seem to have a big chip on their shoulder that the work they produce (which might I say is at a high standard) is better than the original game itself.

A200 :)

I can hardly see a relation between your post and the discussion going on in this topic. Please, keep the focus on the discussion.

If you want to open a separate discussion about that matter, feel free to open a thread in the appropriated board. However, SC4D wont support those who waste their time talking about ghosts instead actively contributing to the community  ;)

To all, please, keep the focus of the discussion. Thanks  :thumbsup:

I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

metarvo

I thought I would post this pic here since it is something that I built with RHW 3.0.  I always feel like I am hijacking the thread when I do this, so I will gladly move it or have it moved if it doesn't belong.  Anyway, here is the pic:

I have been conditioned to think that any good highway needs frontage roads, so the need to build onramps connecting the frontage roads with the highway is present.  In 2.0, the solution above was not possible, but 3.0 includes left exits from the RHW-4.  Only the A-style ramp is available, but it turns out that this style works great for this application.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

deathtopumpkins

Nice frontage road setup there metarvo! You just gave me an idea.  :)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Haljackey

Well not just frontage roads, this setup can easily be applied to create a collector/express system transfer.  Something useful for those of us who still use this setup with RHW 3.0. 

Left entrance/entrance ramps are not the safest type out there, but they get the job done with little space.  When room is an issue, and you want to sacrifice some safety, the left entrance/exit MIS ramp is for you!   :P

Best,
-Haljackey

JoeST

I wonder if a Left exit to OWR would be possible?
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

berubium

Metarvo, I have the same setup in one of my cities, but with a RHW-6C in the centre & RHW-4 on the outside.  It works very well & the RHW-4 on the outside can be used as a collector either with limited access or not.  Very practical.

Patricius Maximus

Berubium, that is an interesting idea, seeing as RHW-6C doesn't have splitter pieces.

JoeST: Such a thing is already possible -- just use the existing left exit, then transfer the MIS to OWR.

jeronij: Thanks for that... message.

chrisnhl

Hey guys! I was just wondering what the speed limit is on the MIS systems compared to the regular RHW?

berubium

I'm having a great time with all the new tools introduced with RHW 3.0.  My sincere thanks to all involved in this project.

My opinion on the whole Maxis-FHW brouhaha:  The Maxis highway is very useful for the functionality of the game, especially when trying to fit as much in a certain amount of space as possible; but I play SC4 to create (functional) cities based on some sort of objective I have in my mind, not necessarily just to grow bigger & bigger.  I strive for a certain degree of realism in my cities, which in my humble opinion, the Maxis Highway just can't properly contribute to.  While it doesn't look bad all alone, it just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the buildings & infrastructure in the game.  The lanes are much narrower (an understandable constraint of trying to fit into 2 tiles), the exit ramps are waaaaay too short, and it just looks somewhat blocky compared to its surroundings.  Overall, it is just way out of scale.  The RHW goes a long way in restoring scale to my highways (they look a lot more natural), not to mention the oodles of interchange & interface possibilities that it brings, especially thanks to RHW 3.0...

I'm having a lot of fun replacing the Maxis Highway with new RHW interchanges in some of my regions.  What a difference.  I now have fewer exits & fewer overpasses than I had before, which is much more realistic.  I appreciate the fact that many of us play SimCity 4 for different reasons & with different objectives.  That's why I appreciate all the choices that are out there for us.  Maxis did a great job of getting started, but we should all be thankful that this community has worked so hard to make this an even better game & to broaden its appeal.

My suggestions for future development of the RHW.  It would be great to see the RHW crew expand on the exit options & transitions.  RHW 3.0 was the biggest step ever & I think only small steps will be needed from here on.  I'd love to see more Exit Type-C options and a splitter from a RHW 8 to a RHW 6S & RHW 4.  As for transitions, it would be great to see a transition from RHW 8 to RHW 6C or something to that effect.  The RHW 6C is a fantastic network.  Kudos to all involved in the great work done so far...

RHW = Realistic Highway Mod???

JoeST

PatMax: I know about that, I was just thinking it might be nice for a smooth/sideways transition like the one shown, but with road networks instead, if you get what I mean
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Patricius Maximus

JoeST: Ah, now I know what you generally mean. That would be nice.

elliey-sama

Quote from: Owaen on January 16, 2009, 12:42:01 PM
--> elliey-sama

Do you mean something like this ?

If you do, then I haven´t seen a tutorial but I could try to make one if anyone would be interested in one.
This one was made with "old" RHW 2.0

Ps, the on slope pieces work best at a height/depth of 15m

Yes Something like that only on a more bit small scale not so big more like the realistic freeway off ramps and avenues intersections that go over or under the freeway but thanx for the info :3 if anyone does make a tutorial of that plz let me know :3 ill try to take screenshots of my attempd designs

Fresh Prince of SC4D

I was wondering if I should put this idea out but might as well do so... ahem.... Traffic lights for RHW? %confuso
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

bob56

Quote from: Fresh Prince of SC4D on January 23, 2009, 01:22:41 PM
I was wondering if I should put this idea out but might as well do so... ahem.... Traffic lights for RHW? %confuso

In my opinion, I think they should be an OPTION...Not forced, maybe plop?
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

j-dub

This has been discussed earlier. When I want traffic lights, I use a network that has them. The RHW gives us the option to avoid them for a lot of network work arounds. It is for that reason the RHW would not have signals on it by default. When it comes to making realistic highway junctions that would have signals once a main road crosses, I make the MIS into OWR before the intersections. Then that way the exit widens up, and serves as turn lanes. However, when you have a bare intersection, you can customize it anyway you want. Personally I like the way it is, so I could create something like this:

The intersection has been slightly upgraded since I took this picture.