• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

Quote from: bwatterud on December 03, 2007, 10:14:42 PM
Yup.  He's still got it.   ::)

Couldn't have put it any better!

Amazing work, as always, David. Even when you're in the midst of the trials (pardon the pun) and tribulations of the legal profession, you still manage to give us something like this!

douwe

Awesome as always.  You are a master of rustic realism.
"As 't net ken sa 't moet, dan moet 't mar sa 't ken"
Old Frisian Proverb

bakerton

One word= Sweeeeet. I look forward to more of this great stuff David. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

emilin

It seems much to long since I posted here now. Just wanted to let you know that I am still reading, watching the development and generally lurking around.

It would be a very welcome thing with some tips and tricks on the transparent water and how to work with it. I have given it a few tries and I find it much more difficult to get it right than the earlier plop water versions around.

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

bat

Great using of the waterfalls and that water!! Nice picture!!

Heblem

dragonshardz

hmmmm...I assume you reworked your rapids/waterfalls lots for EPW for the TPW?

Will these be available?

BigSlark

David,

You do, indeed, still have the ol' rapids technique down pat. Not that I don't really, really like the maps, but the return of 3RR's amazing scenery every now and then would be better than excellent.

Hope all is well with your latest trial and your family.

Cheers,
Kevin

Pat

Quote from: thundercrack83 on December 03, 2007, 10:16:31 PM
Quote from: bwatterud on December 03, 2007, 10:14:42 PM
Yup.  He's still got it.   ::)

Couldn't have put it any better!

Amazing work, as always, David. Even when you're in the midst of the trials (pardon the pun) and tribulations of the legal profession, you still manage to give us something like this!

David Dustin and Bwatterud have summed it up right!!! Ohhh btw is there anther recongonistion in order for Dustin for hitting a wierd milestone of all 2's??? just wondering lol...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

FrankU

I must confess that I am getting a bit curious wether there will on one day be a development of a real sim City or sim Village..... Beautiful topgeraphics and fantastic landscaping, sure, but where is the old fashioned handiwork of similating a city?  ;)

Thanks for everything Dedgren!

Yoman

Knew you would get to using that new water eventually. Looks nice also. But I actually like how you create streams with the game water even more, don't know why. Nice work though  :thumbsup:

dedgren

Way down at the end of Iron Hook Cape are Nike Site Point and the Pine Cone Islands.  We've had the area described to us before [linkie] but never have seen actual pics.  Here's a few, as I prepare this collaboration quad (Pine Cone NE) for our friend and 3RR Collaborator Joan (Jmouse).

Here's the point area itself from the "1" game view setting.

Please note the trees are not finalized across the entire quad, although I envision both Nike Site Point and Haystack Rock to be pretty much cleared of any vegetation other than grass.

The "work-in-progress" topo map of the quad.

The six islands are the Pine Cones.  Nike Site Point is the commanding height at the tip of the cape.  Haystack Rock sits on the point of the same name on the north shore off to the east.  Haystack Creek, the subject of our waterfalls teaser in the last post, flows out into Diddick's Bay at the foot of the point.  Beacon Hill is the large round feature to the south.

Here's a few more pics of the creek.

More about this area later.  I'm on a public computer in a hotel lobby and am limited in the time I can spend.

A few asides-

Frank (FrankU):  The intention of collaboration is that you folks will be providing all that "old-fashioned handiwork."  I admit, I'm taking my own sweet time getting things ready, but there's not a lot more to go, and I think the wealth of background detail that's being created will really make the individual collaboration efforts work together.  Thanks for the encouragement!

Pat:

Quote...is there anther recongonistion in order for Dustin for hitting a wierd milestone of all 2's???...

As Charlie Brown [linkie] would say:

AAAUUGGGHHHHH!!

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

David all i got to say is I got a rock

EDIT:  No, Pat- You rock! -DE

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

Iron Hook Cape is a natural beauty, David, and it's a pleasure to finally see her face.

Until next time...
Joan

dedgren

Here's a few more pics from the Nike Site Point area, along with a few random notes.

The largest and smallest of the Pine Cone Islands lying just offshore of the end of the cape.  I'm still detailing the shorelines.

The smallest island is little more than a sand bar and a few rocks.

I'm still wishing for someone to create more varied plops to put on shorelines.  I'll reduce that to a "wish list" at some point.

Here's the point and the almost shear east face.  Imagine sitting in a concrete bunker up there with a bunch of rockets in the '50s and '60s.  That's what I did, a very long time ago.

The shoreline between the point and Haystack Rock.  You can see the former fenceline of the Nike site and other old land use patterns in the way the trees are grouped.

Another pic of the point's east face, this time closer in.

That's it for today.  The trial will end this morning, and it's back to what passes for civilization in Alaska tonight.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Heblem

look at that all details, excellent work  :thumbsup:

Yoman

Hmm....I could BAT a quick Nike (Ajax or Hercules?) site, the missiles would've been uninstalled by now but I'd imagine that the site would still be there, looking out for A Tu-95 that will never come. Let me do some research into it  ;)

EDITOwen, hey, that'd be great.  A BATted Nike-Herc (the diff is four booster tubes (Herc) versus one (Ajax) [linkie]) would be a thing of beauty.

There's still a bunch of old Nike sites around.  There was one just about a mile from where I grew up outside Chicago, Illinois that, based on what I learned 20 years later in Air Defense Artillery School [linkie], must have just literally been abandoned by hauling away the missiles, launch rails and HIPAR radar,

along with the BCO stuff.  You could just walk on to it- no fence or anything
. -DE

meldolion

I'm AMAZED of the level of details you put in your work david :D

great pictures

bakerton

Awsome job with the area David. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

dragonshardz

problem - pics 3 and six do not show on IE7. Machine is Vista.

EDIT'shardz, they show up fine on the motel lobby public computer I'm posting from out in rural Alaska.  Anyone else having problems- I'll be happy to re-upload the pics. -DE