• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Fantasy Maps by blade2k5

Started by blade2k5, February 06, 2007, 04:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadyrghluv

what would be your other online activity? don't tell me it's WoW or something, i'll cry!

glad to see all the new maps, looking forward to more. the map aroknan, only thing i don't like on it is the pyramid style mountain on the little island in the middle of the water, other than that it's a great map!

Don't mistake stupidity for courage

beskhu3epnm

Is it possible? Can it be?

I think back to your older projects, and of course they always knocked my socks off (literally). Your performance behind the MSPaint was nothing short of amazing.

But recently, you seemed to have improved a few more steps somehow. I never thought it was possible.

You make bigger (king size) maps, and more detailed at that as of late. It's like the SC4TF was too easy to conquer for you. There is a severe demand for your product right now. It's like, map after map of pure fantasy genius.

I suggest you keep it up! I've some ideas for your skilled hand at the TF tool... we'll definitely be in touch!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

blade2k5

dadyrghluv - The reason for the pyramid on that tiny little island was put there because I thought it would look cool with Berethor's pyramids plopped about it ;)

beskhu3epnm - When Paint is all you have to hand draw maps, well, after awhile you get pretty darn good at it, but that will soon change as I'm on the hunt for a much easier imaging program and Heblem has suggested macromedia fireworks 8 and has already sent a tutorial on it ;).  Once I master that, well, let's just say that my mountains will begin to look as cool as Heblem's does :thumbsup:

I'm going to cut back on the massive maps like the Dragonmounts map I uploaded a couple of weeks ago and concentrate on more reasonable-sized maps.  Right now I have 8 4x4 maps done [the last 4 pictured on page one + 4 more not pictured just yet], that will be uploaded as two-packs.

I suggest you get in touch with me about these ideas of yours ;) on Sun or Mon this week as I'm off work those two days :thumbsup: and will be online as I work more of my magic.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

blade2k5

The first NHP Map 2-Pak has just been uploaded to the LEX and features the two maps pictured below, each comes completete in it's own folder with images and config included with the zip file.  Enjoy :thumbsup:

Map 1

Map 2

dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦

Vandy

Hi, Blade.

Excellent maps.  It is so good to see you creating maps again.  You certainly have not lost your touch or your creativity.  Thanks for sharing these beauties!

Regards,

Gary

In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.  © May 29, 1980

blade2k5

Thanks again Vandy.  Here's the remaining four new maps I've yet to showcase.  These are the coastline themed maps which will be uploaded as 2-packs in the very near future ;)

Coastline Map 1

Coastline Map 2

Coastline Map 3

Coastline Map 4

dadyrghluv

no more disapearing on us, because what else we gonna play on, the sea floor? glad to see u doing maps again.

blade2k5

I have just finished the first two island maps in a series of 4 to 6 that will be uploaded as two-packs. 

Anchor Isles:  Anchor Isles were formed tens of millions of years ago through volcanic activity over a hot spot in the planets' crust.  Three ancient craters remain, two forming semi-circular steep ridges, the third has been transformed into a lake.  The youngest, and still very much active periodically, forms the north-western most island and rises over 2000 meters in height.  This map is good for developing seaside resorts, port towns/cities and could be a great map for using ferry's to connect the islands together instead of bridges.

This a re-do of an older map I originally drew with Paint [before SC4TF was available], and uploaded to the STEX on  February 18, 2006 linkie.  In this re-working of this map, I added in four new islands for a total of eight altogether.  This allows those that want easier to accomplish bridge-building to connect the various islands together without having to do a lot of terraforming. 

This map features two islands that were once one island, but due to tectonic plate movements, the island over the last few hundred-thousand years has slowly ripped this island in two, separated by a narrow channel of water.  The western island features five volcanic peaks ranging from 1600 meters to 2000 meters and have been dormant for several thousand years.  The eastern island more jagged ridges and mountain peaks and features the only more recent active volcano in the region.  Though it has erupted in several hundred years, there's always a chance the slumbering giant could re-awaken at any time.  Both islands are rocked by thousands of earthquakes, most of them in the magnitude range of 2 to 2.5 on a daily basis, though quakes with magnitudes of 6.5 to 7.5 can strike the region.  This map was hand-drawn with Paint, then loaded into sc4tf for further terrafoming and touching up.

This 2-pak will be uploaded at some point today.

Pat

Blade those are by far some great maps!!! You are truly a great cartographer  &apls :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Starmanw402007

I agree, those maps are outstanding &apls. Keep Up the Great Work!

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

Vandy

Hey, Blade.

You never cease to amaze me with the depth and bredth of your creative talent.  What absolutely gorgeous maps you've created in your latest two offerings.  You've got some pretty serious mountain ranges going on in these maps.

This two map-pak will be a great addition to your already great catalog of maps.

Regards,

Gary

In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.  © May 29, 1980

blade2k5

Thanks Vandy, Starman and Pat :thumbsup:  I have many more surprises coming down the pipe soon.  There's a conspiracy afoot, so keep a look-out :thumbsup:

Pat

LoL Blade I'm painstakingly awaiting to hear more news on the conspiracy theory's...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

blade2k5

In regards to a question by Vandy in another thread, I blew the dust off an old map project I never completely finished to answer that question.  That question was about taking pictures of the stars and turning those into maps for sc4.  Well, since I'm an avid astronomy buff, I took a Hubble photo of a spiral galaxy I downloaded some years back and made a greyscale bitmap from it.  After tinkering with it using Paint, this is what I came up with:

sc4tf view

sc4tf Sideviews

Rendered View

Keep in mind this project is still unfinished at this time.  Can't say when it will be as other projects have come up that take precedent over this one.  Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed though as I'll continue to tinker with it when I can.

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

dadyrghluv

i like this map, although the point being so....pointy in the middle looks to me like a pencil sticking out of the ground...a really BIG pencil that is. dont change a thing about the surrounding area's, it has a nice smooth natural swirl with jagged edges like apearance to it, like nature intended it that way so to speak. it looks like mud when u throw something in it, like a rock. that surrounding area like crater swirl is the shiznit! lol.  :P

blade2k5

I have an idea for the 'pencil peak' in the center of the map as it does look a bit dorky :D

beskhu3epnm

Isn't that cool? I guess you could take an image of anything really, and make a map of it. All you would have to do is adjust the gradients so that the highest points are white, etc.

I take it that was your method here? The results are pretty cool. The more I look at that thing in the center (pencil peak), the less I like it. hahaha!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Kitsune

Hey now, I kinda like the supper massive blackhole induced mountain, it adds a nice touch to the area, almost like a rising volcano.
~ NAM Team Member

blade2k5

Quote from: beskhu3epnm on November 26, 2007, 07:22:02 AM
Isn't that cool? I guess you could take an image of anything really, and make a map of it. All you would have to do is adjust the gradients so that the highest points are white, etc.

I take it that was your method here? The results are pretty cool. The more I look at that thing in the center (pencil peak), the less I like it. hahaha!

What I did was take the color image, loaded it up with Irfanview, switched the image to greyscale, re-sized it to suit my preferences, then opened the greyscale with Paint and went to work on it.  After getting rid of all the star points that were not needed in the map [would have ended up with pencil thin mountain peaks which would have looked silly], and afterwards opened it up with sc4tf to see what I had so far.  The pic above in my previous post are the results.  Now of course, things may have been easier if I had had a better imaging program back then, but Paint can work wonders if you're a master at it like I am :P