• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Kongshavn, "Planning ahead!"

Started by ExiLe, September 05, 2008, 06:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

Welcome to page 3! ;)

Great new pictures there! Your city looks beautiful! Nice work on it! :thumbsup:

ExiLe

UPDATE 23 January

Hi guys, I am back in SC4 town!

Even though I have not posted for a while, I have not been idle either.
Actually I have had some time to finish off 3 Regions, as of now. Well technically they are not finished, but they are ready to be improved upon at a later time...

The 3 areas I am talking about are, Kofting, Follduland and Vargheim-Kjerre. Kofting which is the area are you have seen the most images from, is represented as the larger urban area south on the picture. Vargheim-Kjerre, which is technically two areas, but one region, is a totally new region. The last, Follduland, you have seen some photos of, and is the area between Kofting and Vargheim-Kjerre. It is by far the largest area both in population and acre of land, especially compared to Kofting, but as you can see Kofting is much more densely populated. Only the regional Vargheim-Kjerre is larger than Follduland in this eastern part of greater Kongshavn, but as they are two different counties and Follduland is one, they cannot really be compared.

First off I'll post the regional map you have seen from the 1'st page, and then I'll size it down, and show you what the new areas look like. This update will, as explained before, not include much talk about planning, or how it might change in the future. That would spoil the fun, right? ;)

This is the greater Kongshavn area regional map.

This shows the area in which we are operating at the moment, I will use the area squared in as reference on the other images.

This shows an areal photo of the area, nice huh?

The counties, explained...

Some cities and towns, cities marked with a larger font as usual...

Halløen [Island of halls]

Kofting north east, shows the new tunnel being built. What it might not show so well is all the traffic that has to move over that small bridge in the centre of the image.

Close-up

Kofting industrial area, you've seen this area before ;)

North of Halløen and Kofting, lies this area. Within the southern parts of Follduland. Check the map for reference!

Residential area near Karlsvik. Just east of north Kongshavn along the motorway.

Just north of Karlsvik, showing Karlsvik northern suburbs and townships. This Northern part is often referred to as Fagerhaugen.

Zooom out!

Just west of Vargheim, an area visited before aswell :)

Vargheim, now this place should seem familiar ;) [Varg is swedish for wolf]

Just north of Vargheim

A nice zoomed out view over Kjerretun, and the surrounding areas.

What we in Norway call a "B-Motorway". These roads often have a concrete block in the centre, to keep the meeting traffic from colliding.

West of Kjerretun, showing some of the Kjerre-land area.

Kjerretun up and personal ;)

Well, thats all I have time for today, have to grab some food. Hope you like what I have done with the place!

,take care
...coming soon

Nexis4Jersey

Awesome update , great region i like how your small city melts into the country side like butter on hot toast!  :thumbsup: &apls :)

Schulmanator

Nicely done - an appealing region  &apls
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

kbieniu7

Fields and rural areas looks beautiful   ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Feroxx

Very, very nice, I like espacilay your fields, they look great from regionla view.

ExiLe

REPLIES!

Nexis: Oooh, me like me some butter n toast ;). Thanks man, I try to make my regions feel as natural as possible. They are of course more inspired by scandinavian planning, than what you would see in america or asia.

Schulmanator: Thanks! As appealing as it might be some places, it can also be quite gritty and dirty in others. Just wait and see!

Kbieniu7: naww, gosh thanks! If you look closely enough though, you'll find that farms in Kofting actually had to be plopped, compared to the other regions. That took some time! :(

Feroxx: Hey there! Thank you very, very much! I try to make the crossover from regions as smooth as possible.

take care,
...coming soon

metasmurf

This looks very realistic, and..very norwegian :)

Ennedi

That's really very good MD!  &apls

Your regional views are fantastic! Field shapes are very realistic, and the way you place trees is excellent  :thumbsup:
Transit networks look very well on regional views, but maybe some smooth curves here and there could be used too?... :) It would improve closeups greatly, and you have enough space, especially outside of cities to use them.

Very good work!

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

ExiLe

Some quick replies:

Metasmurf: Thanks, and yes it does... or personally I would say it looks very: Scandinavian. Sure my way of planning is very influenced by the fact that I am from Norway, but I have lived in other countries aswell, one of them being Germany. Personally I believe my methods of planning rural areas and farm areas are just as German/Swedish as they can look Norwegian.

also, the term Norwegian can be very decieving, as there is a lot of different ways of building and planning areas in Norway. This is because Norway was developed from all sides of the country, some parts earlier than other, and some parts have not even fully developed yet (structurally wise as urban areas, or farm lands). Most of the Norwegian farm land lies in eastern Norway, and looks very similar to the farms you'll find in Sweden. Though farms in southern and western Norway are often totally different because of the difference in climate and terrain. :)

Ennedi: thanks, and yes as I have said: as I am uploading pictures to sc4D for my MD and show them here does not mean that I won't go back to that area at a later point and change it. The very subject of this MD is to plan changes and put them to test in an area that has already been built upon, urban or not...

Also I am no wizard when it comes to the RHW or the NAM, and now that there are some extras in the newest edition of the NAM I'll have to update some roads, especially roads without good curves, or any other unnatural form.

EDIT:

Small update:

-Here are a couple of close-ups:

Vargheim

Vargheim

Karlsvik

Karlsvik near Fagerhaugen

take care,

...coming soon

kbieniu7

I guess you have big traffic on those small streets :P And I think you should use RHW curves sometimes  ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

just_a_guy

Very nice MD so far. I really like the small downtown feeling in that first picture. Though in the 3rd picture it might be a good idea to use the RHW smooth curves and reduce it to just one bend there becuase ,well RL-wise, the more curves on the highway the more speed and safety is lost.
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing

ExiLe

To Kbieniu7 and just_a_guy like I just said to Ennedi, this MD is about how I'll improve upon areas that are already built. So I will have to build up the rest of the region, THEN I'll start improving upon the cities and rural areas (roads, power, water, everything...). I also said this at the start of the MD.

About the curves, like I've said, I'm doing it. I just don't have that much time atm.

,take care
...coming soon

Ennedi

Quote from: ExiLe on January 27, 2009, 02:57:45 PM
To Kbieniu7 and just_a_guy like I just said to Ennedi, this MD is about how I'll improve upon areas that are already built. So I will have to build up the rest of the region, THEN I'll start improving upon the cities and rural areas (roads, power, water, everything...). I also said this at the start of the MD.

,take care

This is very good idea Exile! Personally I'm going to make a tour around my region twice: building it and then looking again at every city and improving them. This is very interesting for the player himself, he learns a lot of new things building next cities, and if he returns to the first one, he looks at it in a very different way (at least it happens to me  ;))
It would be very good if you would show in future some places "before" and "after", with a short explanation why did you changed particular things  :thumbsup:

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

urban

Your forests and fields look fantastic :thumbsup:

probably the best tropical forests Pat Riot
the jungle and the seaside resorts are looking spectacular kwakelaar
such stunning and natural tropical sceneries iamgoingtoeatyou
Walker's Island

bat

That are two wonderful set of pictures there! Nice work on that area... ;)
The overviews are great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: