• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Map request: California City

Started by ldvger, February 26, 2011, 08:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldvger

I would dearly love a scaled map of this area of the California Mojave Desert:

I know it's a large area, but I am used to working with large regions, up to 16x16 large city tiles.  I did a very quick calc of the area's size and think a 16x10 large city tile region would pretty much have me covered, but if I am wrong, any size region is fine so long it's at real world scale...that is what is most important to me, scale.  It should actually be a fairly easy map to create, as there are no lakes or water and it's mostly flat desert, but I'm not a map-maker, so what do I know?  If the region needs to be smaller to fit within the 16x16 large city tile max, trimming in the east-west direction would be fine, but if possible I would like to have the hwy 14 junction included at the west edge and at least a part of US 395 on the east side.  To the south is Edwards Air Force Base and I wouldn't need much of that, maybe half of a large city tile would be fine, but I do want the east/west highway included.  Lastly, it would be nice to go as far north as possible, as all the interesting relief (mountains/hills) occurs in the north parts of the area.

I have found STRM grey-scale images for this area on the USGS site, as well as 1/3 arc NED files, but I don't know how to convert the .bil grey-scales to graphic image files that will work with Mapper and I don't know how to convert the GeoTiff files from the NEDs either, or else I would try to make this map myself.  Just letting you know the source material is easily available at USGS.

Thanks in advance!

Lora/LD

(edit:  If you are still having issues with your disk drive bay door, SC4M file would work just fine for me, I know how to render a new region in game)