• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SFBT-Project: Realistic Modular Containerterminals

Started by Sam Johnson, May 13, 2009, 08:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allan_kuan1992

Yes... a little variation won't hurt. ::)

Just that there are many variations in container crane design. $%Grinno$%

For example, our cranes in Vancouver are special in that they were designed to squeeze under the Lions Gate Bridge:
http://www.tsi.bc.ca/gallery/album07/CranesByMorley_006

(text and image clipped as the link has suddenly fallen silent)

Another thing I want to mention is that Bremerhaven's cranes are a little unique in having that middle "block" sitting at the centre of the crane... they also seem to have a much smaller counterweight than other cranes I've seen.

However, the designs are similar enough that only one variant of design (along with a mix of colours) would probably suffice at the moment. The suggestion for more crane designs is of course entirely dependent on your schedule...

Now, back to your current cranes... I haven't really seen the nights on container cranes but the ones you made are quite excellent in making it easy for operators to see =)  The colour schemes are also coming along well... I particularly like the orange one =O

There are a whole bunch of colour schemes that could be done. I would be quite satisfied if you worked on some all-colour designs like black, white, green, blue, red, and yellow. If you want to go further you can also do a few striped/patterned designs but that would be somewhat complicated to do given the number of designs that exist out there.

- Allan Kuan

Sam Johnson

@io_bg: Thanks  :)

@jmyers2043: thanks, and a totally agree with you, maxis had'nt ever planned that SC4 would be today still alive  ;)

@Ennedi:Thank you , but in my opininion not in all previous container crane BATs the nightlights were missing the nightlights at tag_ones cranes are nice, to , I think ;)

@art128: Thanks :)

@ShadeSlayer: Thanks, too

@FrankU: Thanks, but I'm not sure if you've understand that every colour I have made or will make is going to be available in the final Port Set ;)

@allan_kuan1992: Yes, I agreed there are many designs and of course I won'n be able to bat every design that just would be too much :D  To your pictures yesterday I started a crane which will have a similar design like these http://www.ld-host.de/uploads/images/0664a9b1f16659fd516b94f9ae1d0aa5.jpg cranes here in Hamburg so far I know are cranes with a similar design like these common all over the world. Colour Variations won't be a big problem because I managed my textures so that I can change the colour just in a few of clicks ;)

FrankU

Ah, no, I didn't understand that. But that is great news!
I have no new suggestions though.

allan_kuan1992

Ah... so you have started on a third crane.

The work that I see right now is stunning. Keep up the good work.

EDIT:  June 13, 2009

Hmm... things seem to have fallen silent here... I guess you must be really busy lately?

- Allan Kuan =)

Sam Johnson

Year sorry for my long abstinence here  &mmm

Year like Allen Kuan said I was very busy this time but at the latest in 4 weeks I'll have more time, because then my summer holidays begin  ;)

But this weekend I had some time to bat again  :)

I haven't finished a new crane but a big part of the modelling is done here's a picture of it:

Now I'll go on with the arm of the crane and the crane trolley  ;)

Criticism amd suggestions are always welcome  :)

allan_kuan1992

Umm... photos of the actual cranes reveals that none of them have those stairs attached to the sides =O

A few other cranes with different specs do have the stairs though.

- Allan Kuan

iamgoingtoeatyou

Looking good! The arm is looking a little short though, how about increasing 25%?

Sam Johnson

@allan Kuan: Yes, the cranes I have shown a few post ago have no stairs attached at the sides but I don't recreate them exactly, because they have some specifications which the most cranes with a similar design don't have. And I think it would be better to bat cranes which have a design what is ever-present. For example those cranes http://www.ld-host.de/uploads/images/1ddcf99292a3361dc6d83ee83500e06a.jpg in Tacoma have a very similar design but those have the stairs ;) But I just recognized something the stairs on my crane are a bit out of place , I'll cahnge that :D

@iamgoingtoeatyou: Thank you :) Mh, yes you are right ist a bit short, Im going to change that.

At this moment there's no prgress here because I just came from school a while ago  ;)

Pat

Sam your crane is looking real great there and even if the stairs are a bit off I honestly cant tell....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Ennedi

I agree with Pat - the crane looks great! :thumbsup:
Stairs are good for me, they contain very small details and they could look worse if they would be smaller.

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

tag_one

Wonderful crane Sam! I love all the details on it and I would certainly keep the stairs  :thumbsup:

FrankU

Sam,

I am sure that real crane engineers will know a lot about the details and probably you will shave screwed up some of them, but I think the crane looks very realistic and detailed and I definitely feel that it will be able to unload Jeronij's and PEG's containerships!
At least, I will give them the opportunity as soon as you have finished and uploaded the stuff.

Sam Johnson

I know It's not very much progress.. but the modelling of the arm is almost done:

I still have to do the crab,the textures and the nightlighting...

Criticism is always welcome  :)

tag_one

... But I don't have any criticism... Your crane is simply the best and most detailed container crane ever made &apls

Sam Johnson

Quote from: tag_one on June 21, 2009, 09:21:22 AM
... But I don't have any criticism... Your crane is simply the best and most detailed container crane ever made &apls
As I read the last sentence I felt really honored, to hear any praise like that form someone like tag_one  :)

I just added the crane trolley and I battet a version with the arm up and I threw some textures on it just for test they aren't final ;)

Criticism is always welcome  :)

pingangster

Stunning! You have a great project going and some awesome models!
-Pingangster

allan_kuan1992

FrankU

I relly don't know what I should criticize here. It looks great!  &apls

Sam Johnson

thanks for the compliments  :)

Sorry but I don`t have any update here, even more bad news  :(

My harddrive is no more working, so I lost many of my BATs. For example are the straddle carriers lost, the bremerhaven cranes and the typical harbour crane.

Sorry guys  :thumbsdown:

allan_kuan1992

ouch. That's some really sad news to what was a great project.

Is the drive damaged or is there some data recovery service that could be tried?

- Allan Kuan