• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAM - General Discussions

Started by RippleJet, May 01, 2007, 01:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxdita

Is everyone sufficiently confused yet?

So what have we learned?

The traffic simulators that were originally packaged with CAM were modified, using the best information available at the time. If you'll notice, the CAM has been on the LEX since July 07, the latest NAM traffic sims were originally released I believe in February of this year, and are really a lot better for the game. Since the file Promote_X traffic sims that came with CAM were installed into the z_CAM folder, it is a necessity to remove those,  by using the Cleanitol that came with the April 08 NAM release, otherwise it will override any other traffic simulator you install. It's always important to check the release dates of files, and try to install from oldest to newest, so that you have the most up to date Plugins. Run the NAM Cleanitol again, and you'll start having more realistic traffic. But prepare to fight off dilapidation and abandonment in the first few years. Rezoning problem areas is the best way to go usually.

Also, CAM doesn't really "ration" the stages. It's not that at each capacity level you'll have X% of a particular stage, but that each stage has X% of a chance to grow in any zone, all depending on various other factors, including demand, and other stage caps.

By "phantom" sims, I'm not speaking about eternal commuters, but a specific problem found with CAM 1.0 causing the game to report a doubled Regional Residential Population, as well as a doubled Regional Workforce. Of course, this doesn't apply to you anymore Rayden (hopefully), since you're testing the fixed version.  $%Grinno$%
Eternal commuters were around long before CAM, and probably always will be to some extent, but can be limited based on how you play the game.

We can figure out some of the information provided by Alt-Shift-Ctrl Query, but not all of it just yet. Considering it's only been discovered (or at least made public) a week or so ago, I think we're doing pretty well with it.

And while it would be great for EA to release more add-ons for the game, I just wonder how much more they could add at this point, that hasn't already been provided by the custom creators, or is at least in the works. Or would another Expansion Pack just screw up everything that's been done already? Probably better not chance it huh? It's not likely that they would listen to any of the people that actually play the game anyway (see SCS).

Last point: it's not the actual physical size of the building that determines how well it will grow, but the number of job that the building provides. As the only Stage 3 farm actually included in the game (though to be fair it looks as if Pedriana's is on 3 different lots), and Stage 3 being the highest stage in the Vanilla game, it didn't really matter how many jobs Pedriana's provided, as long as it was a lot. The only way to completely even out the playing field would be to have every building in each stage have exactly the same number of jobs provided. Then, you would have truly random growth, but that would be boring.

mightygoose

hey just a quick note, even with the CAM/BSC maxis blocker i still get several maxis midrise lots growing, the only one whose name i can remember is bennet music corp, its a little brick box but there are about 4 others.... all tend to be CO$$. is there any reason for this or is there simply a bug with my system....
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

RippleJet

Can you verify that you do have the file no_CO$$.DAT in your plugins?

mightygoose

RippleJet

Any chance that no_CO$$.DAT is loaded before CAM itself (which is in the a_CAM folder)?

mightygoose

the root path is plugins\zz_nomaxis\no_co$$.dat
cam is in plugins\a_cam, not to be rude tage but i wouldn't have posted here if i hadnt considered those possibilities....

RippleJet

Quote from: mightygoose on May 29, 2008, 10:32:16 PM
not to be rude tage but i wouldn't have posted here if i hadnt considered those possibilities....

Yeah, I know... just ruling out the obvious, since I'm running out of ideas... &Thk/(
Is there anything being loaded after zz_nomaxis?

mightygoose

zzzmtp\ mountain trail pack textures

zzzpegprod\ water mod

zzzzrocks\ rock mod

zzzzzSFBT\ rail texture mod

thats all....

RippleJet

Just to be certain, could you list the content in zzzmtp?

mightygoose

PEG_MTP_TEXTURES_vol2.dat and a readme....

RippleJet

Can't blame the readme... $%Grinno$%

One remaining option would in that case be that those Bennet Music Corps,
which is a Maxis building, would be someone's relotted version of the ingame building... &Thk/(

BarbyW

I also have the same problem and have never been able to work out where this file resides. I know it is a relot but cannot find it.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

catty

Would this have anything to with your problem with the Bennet Music Corps

QuoteCommercial Offices Vol 02, by JMyers

Four commercial office buidlings that grow at or about the same time as the Maxis Bennet Music.  The Maxis Bennet Music grows at  stage two through four. It was placed on ten lots. Consequently it grows a lot in my cities. These buildings do not replace Bennet but are intended to add variety.  Each is placed on three or four lots. A stage two 3X3, one or two Stage three 2X3 lots, and finally a stage four 2X2 lot. Each builing offers jobs to 96 Sims.

%confuso
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

xxdita

No, not quite. Although JMeyers has a knack for creating buildings that compete well with Maxis, he hasn't relotted any Maxis buildings with this package. The search goes on...

mightygoose

i know its only four buildings.... but the lots are anywhere from 2x2 - 4x4

Insert User Here

Sorry if I'm being a newbie. I'm very interested in the CAM, but wondering about a few things.

Firstly, as a suggestion: I don't think I recall seeing in the manual regarding wich growth stages grow on which zone density. Maybe this should be added?

I was wondering how "compatiable" the CAM is with existing regions. I have a well established region and would like to continue using it if possible.
I know I have a few incompatiable mods, I will remove them if I decide to install the CAM, but I was wondering if there were any known issues with any NDEX lots, SimGoober's farm lots and Pegasus' CDK sets? They're my main groups of plugins. Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance, it seems like you've put a lot of effort into the CAM, and it looks very useful!

xxdita

Welcome to SC4D, and to CAM IUH. It's a lot to take in huh?  $%Grinno$%
Most regions created with Vanilla/Rush Hour will not be able to be used after installing CAM 1.0. Testing is underway to find out if those regions will be able to be used with future versions though.
Any NDEX buildings, or other skyscrapers downloaded from other sites will also not be compatible with ANY version of CAM, though if you check the LEX, you will find that many of them have been remodded and relotted specifically for use with CAM. Most (if not all) of SimGoober's works have also been updated for CAM, and are available on the LEX as well. No clue about the CDK lots, as I have never used them, and don't care to speculate.

wes.janson

As far as I know there is no issue with Pegs work and the CAM. I am no expert, but having used Peg's work in every one of my CAM cities over the past god knows how long, I have yet to experience any problems whatsoever.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

V3nn

how to increase desirabillity for co? ()what()

RippleJet

Quote from: V3nn on July 09, 2008, 07:01:27 AM
how to increase desirabillity for co? ()what()

The drive for CO§§§ comes especially from rich people with an EQ above 100.
Thus, you need to have a good system of education, and you need to have a certain amount of rich people living in your region.

If you already have all that, then you need to look at the desirability for CO§§§.
In order to increase it you need to:
  - have no garbage lying around your city,
  - have no crime,
  - have buildings or plazas with landmark effect,
  - have as little air pollution as possible and
  - have as much traffic as possible.

The last two ones are usually working against each other though...