• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAM - General Discussions

Started by RippleJet, May 01, 2007, 01:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoreman905

For several weeks now I have concentrated on testing the new lots and have not spent time actually developing my CAM cities. I returned this morning to attempt a goal I had set for myself, a city with a population of 1,000,000. And, here it is, CAM8-1, my oldest CAM8 city. Population 1,000,106. I am sure many of you have reached this before, but for me it is a personal best. And with room left and demand high, who knows where I can take this.

thundercrack83

Congratulations on reaching 1 million population, shoreman905! You've got a lot of room left on that tile, too. I bet you can push it even higher.

RippleJet

I have to admit that the cities I've seen being developed by the CAMsters have exceeded my wildest imaginations I had on the mod when I started it. ::)

For your information, the Readme is well underway... 10 pages written so far... "$Deal"$

BigSlark

That sounds like "A short dissertation on the development, installation, and use of CAM in Sim City 4 Rush Hour and Deluxe editions" than readme, RippleJet!  :D

Cheers,
Kevin

BarbyW

And it is now double that size, Kevin ::) or so Ripplejet tells me.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

dioangel

LOL @ Rippjet and barby  ;D

shoreman - Hoooolllly COW!!!!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o That's unbelievable!!! :o :o

"Beethoven is known for writting the most daring music has ever known to man...DioAngel is known for writting outragous stories has ever known to a lady."
My new MD: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6796.0

RippleJet

Quote from: BarbyW on July 24, 2007, 03:33:13 PM
And it is now double that size, Kevin ::) or so Ripplejet tells me.

I'm stopping for tonight... at page 22 ::)
Will continue tomorrow...

BigSlark

That does it-I'm getting this readme bound for my living room bookshelves!  :D

All kidding aside, I'm glad to hear CAM is getting close. I haven't hit the "development wall" in my new region yet, but I think I'm getting close...

Cheers,
Kevin

Rayden

Quote from: RippleJet on July 24, 2007, 05:31:51 PM
I'm stopping for tonight... at page 22 ::)
Will continue tomorrow...

No wonder people skip readme files $%Grinno$%

Diggis

I skim read the one pagers as it is.  22 pages....  &mmm  We'll see.

Andreas

So you expect me to translate a 30-something pages readme file? No way! ;)

But seriously, although I was able to follow the development of the CAM with one eye, I'm eager to read the full documentation - two or three times, if necessary. I did the same with the NAM readme, and it was really insightful (and answered nearly all of the questions that constantly pop up in the NAM threads).
Andreas

Mayor Abe

Wow. 1 million in a large city tile. That mod must work wonders. I just got 1 million in my entire region.
The government should be afraid of its people. any other way is a dictatorship
"Free people and Free Markets" Wall Street Journal editorial philosophy
The views of any one group should not be imposed upon people as a whole (that means You, religious right wingers)

RippleJet

Quote from: Andreas on July 25, 2007, 03:07:38 AM
So you expect me to translate a 30-something pages readme file? No way! ;)

:P

And I also hope you could make the installer for the CAM ::)

Bluebeard

30 pages for a Read Me?.
   Are you serious?.I can barely stand reading 1 page from a RL book. ;)

BarbyW

Ahh, BB, this will be much more interesting than any book you have ever picked up. :thumbsup:
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

cammo2003

I'll be honest. I skim-read at most readme files. I'll have a closer look if I have a problem with a lot/BAT/mod, though.

I have a slightly different question for the testers... Just how much stress is your transport network under? I imagine alot...  :D

I'm looking forward to giving this a go. I have several fresh regions at the ready.

Rayden

Quote from: cammo2003 on July 25, 2007, 06:18:55 AM
... Just how much stress is your transport network under? I imagine alot...  :D

This mod it's going to make what the MAxis didn't with the Rush Hour, testing your ability to build networks to hold all this population. ;)

jmyers2043

Hello Bluebeard. Let me put it this way. I've played the CAM since beta 5. Never did I have to go through a complex installation or un-installation process. When I read the above "22 page" statement I thought to myself   "Hmmm....Tage must be writing a comprehensive overview of what the CAM is and what it does."  Kind of like that old Prima Strategy Guide. One didn't actually have to purchase the book to play the game but it was helpful for those who really like to dig into the inner workings of things.

Perhaps there will be two readme's? An installation readme and a strategy guide type of readme? I've not seen any drafts so I am probably speaking out of turn.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Bluebeard

JM I think it's great that this mini guide for Cam is getting written but now I gotta go shopping for a printer or will this be available in paperback?. :thumbsup:

shoreman905

About transportation networks. I was concerned with that when this started, however the mod was quite friendly towards transportation. Rayden is correct though, some thought will have to be put into the planning for such large populations. The pedestrian rate has been changed, so more Sims are walking around your CBD. That means careful placement of subway stations and bus stops relieve much of the vehicle traffic. I had to experiment, but it all seemed to work out. I use it all, heavy rail, subway, bus and monorail, but I am sure you folks will fine tune the transportation even better when you get your hands on CAM.