• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisnhl

Im sorry, did you just say that the next version of the RHW will be released sometime next year?

Andreas

It will be released once it's ready - see #3 in the stickied posting.
Andreas

chrisnhl

I realize that but korot just stated that it will be next year as far as they know and im wondering if what he was talking about was the next version or a different one.  Im not asking when but Im just curious if were looking at months or years here. Very greatful for all the fabulous work btw!

Tarkus

I'll just reiterate what Andreas said.  None of us (myself included) can give any sort of a timeline or hint as to how long it'll take, because we honestly have no idea.  Any purported "release dates" you may hear from others are merely speculation. 

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on August 02, 2009, 08:21:00 AM
you'll be able to do diagonal-diagonal crossings, even with different overrides, much more easily now.

The Diagonal-Diagonal stuff is going to still be a bit finicky in terms of a draggable setup, unfortunately, despite my best efforts.  What projectadam has shown should be possible, but if you're looking to drag two parallel Diagonal ERHW-4s over two parallel Diagonal RHW-4s in a close configuration, you'll likely run into trouble, because Maxis screwed up that configuration so much that it'd take me ages to fix it.  Fortunately, I am planning a few "failsafe" puzzle pieces for that particular situation, and will likely be adding Prevents RULs to make the wacky situations impossible to draw, so as to require folks to use the puzzle pieces in those circumstances.

-Alex

Ramona Brie

Another suggestion, this time new ramp styles:

4-D: The ramp turns off perpendicular to the highway. This would be beneficial for, say, a parallel road interchange.
4-E: The ramp is a loop ramp and turns 180° (opposite direction, like a cloverleaf).
4-P: A combination ramp that spawns a parallel road or RHW-2 and acts as an on-ramp and off-ramp.

I'll get a rough drawing of the concept for 4-P, because it's hard to visualize.

projectadam

You people keep doing what you do; when the pieces are out, they will be out. Who would have ever thought that when this game was released that certain talented individuals would even be trying to solve problems like this. I am still amazed with how this game has evolved and just wanted to again state my appreciation for the amount of hard work and resources you put in. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
The Constitutional Monarchy of Ichigamin

Terraforming Update (8/25/09)

sincitybaby

Hey Tarkus (Alex).  I have a great idea that I thought of the other day. I was noticing that when I layed down my RHW that at first it had no traffic.  In my city I placed it as an interstate.  So I got traffic flowing on it but there was no traffic flowing the other way due to morning and evening commutes.  It had 330 cars on it but showed little traffic.  But on a simple street next to it there was a constant stream of traffic even though only 8 cars used it.  This made me wonder if there was any way to modify the network so that even if there was not much traffic, it could show some traffic.  Because in RL there are always cars on Interstates and other highways while there is minimal traffic on a residential street.

Thank you for reading and thank you for this amazing mod!

Ryan B.

I believe you could use a traffic generator for that, if you'd like to see more traffic on your RHWs.  Look on the STEX & LEX for 'em.

Andreas

Quote from: chrisnhl on August 02, 2009, 10:28:14 AM
I realize that but korot just stated that it will be next year as far as they know and im wondering if what he was talking about was the next version or a different one.  Im not asking when but Im just curious if were looking at months or years here. Very greatful for all the fabulous work btw!

Well, the thing is: We're not a company that has to meet a deadline. Even if we do some good planning and know how much free time we might have over the next few weeks or months, nobody knows which obstacles might occur, and since nobody is perfect, an error could be detected later, causing a lot of work to fix everything until it works as intended. Then there are other times when we're simply don't have the desire to work on SC4, but rather enjoy a movie or doing a barbecue with some friends - so yeah, it's done when it's done, and not even we know the date. ;)
Andreas

Citywolf

Sorry, I don't know if I'm right here but I need some serious help with draging RHW-6S to be a curve like the inner curve shown here on one of Haljackeys pics

I just tried and tried but I'm probably too dumb for this. The only results i got were ...funny stuff like that:

&mmm

Could someone post a short "how-to-do" tut or a video or at least explain it to me, please?

Thanks,
Citywolf

Tarkus

Citywolf, first of all, welcome to SC4D!  To answer your question, the RHW-6S curves as shown in that first pic are not draggable.  There's a series of puzzle pieces toward the end of the TAB Loop under the RHW Curves button (you can quickly access them by going backwards through the loop with Shift-TAB).  There, you'll find RHW-6S and RHW-8 curves and diagonals.

Hope that helps!

Jayson (sithlrd98) and projectadam--thanks for the all too kind words.  I had no idea I'd be able to keep this project going as long as it has--it's been a long road (pun fully intended) :D, but worth it.  And I'm just ecstatic to have such a talented group of folks on board now:

Blue Lightning
choco
deathtopumpkins
jmvl
Shadow Assassin
smoncrie
Swamper77

A hearty round of applause for all of them! &apls

-Alex

deathtopumpkins

Ahh, but Alex, you must remember that none of this would be possible without you!  &apls

And to show that I'm earning my place on that list...

RHW-6S smooth curves anyone?

[Click for full HD-sized version ;)]
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Blue Lightning

Alex: Well we have to thank you quite a bit too, for you're the one who keeps it all together, works the hardest, and we probably wouldn't be here withoute you ;)  &apls

DTP: Awesome texture work, seems like you pretty much have the hang of inkscape now. Now all you have to do is get it ingame :P

Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

u.mueller

Great work everyone! This keeps getting better and better! Smooth RHW-6S curves are more than welcome! Also looking forward to more over- and underpass possibilities! :thumbsup:

Keep up the great work!

BR,
U.

Flatron

Hi
would it be possible to create some compakt interchange ramps for RHW2?
like this[/URL][/img]

Citywolf

Quote from: Tarkus on August 02, 2009, 05:37:48 PM
Citywolf, first of all, welcome to SC4D!  To answer your question, the RHW-6S curves as shown in that first pic are not draggable.  There's a series of puzzle pieces toward the end of the TAB Loop under the RHW Curves button (you can quickly access them by going backwards through the loop with Shift-TAB).  There, you'll find RHW-6S and RHW-8 curves and diagonals.

Hope that helps!

Jayson (sithlrd98) and projectadam--thanks for the all too kind words.  I had no idea I'd be able to keep this project going as long as it has--it's been a long road (pun fully intended) :D, but worth it.  And I'm just ecstatic to have such a talented group of folks on board now:

Blue Lightning
choco
deathtopumpkins
jmvl
Shadow Assassin
smoncrie
Swamper77

A hearty round of applause for all of them! &apls

-Alex

Thank you for the welcome! Didn't notice that it is my first post because I registered quite a while ago.^^
And thank you for your help but unfortunately my problem isn't solved yet. :(

All i get with the puzzle peaces of the curves section are directions from 0° to 45° and then back to a 0° angle like this:

But what I meant is that I need a direction change from a 0°  to a 90° angle. To get the traffic flow from northwards to westwards (or northwards to eastwards). But it's not possible for me to do so with the puzzle peaces and I have the newest version of the RHW project or am I simply missing some puzzle peaces?

Thanks,
Citywolf

Blue Lightning

Citywolf: As the FAQ in the stickied post states,

Quote17. How do I make a 90-degree curve with the RHW-6S and RHW-8?  Is it possible?

It is not possible at this time with Version 3.2.  This capability will be incorporated into RHW Release 4, however.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Citywolf

Quote from: Blue Lightning on August 03, 2009, 04:11:50 AM
Citywolf: As the FAQ in the stickied post states,

So Haljackeys picture is photoshopped? :(

Blue Lightning

citywolf: Well I belive the inner curve was dragged, however it does not function and I belive they have now been made impossible to drag (prevent RULs)
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Shadow Assassin

4-D: The ramp turns off perpendicular to the highway. This would be beneficial for, say, a parallel road interchange.
4-E: The ramp is a loop ramp and turns 180° (opposite direction, like a cloverleaf).
4-P: A combination ramp that spawns a parallel road or RHW-2 and acts as an on-ramp and off-ramp.

All of these ramps will be able to be done with puzzle pieces in 4.0... so no additional ramp types, apart from FAMIS, will be added, to my knowledge.

For instance, 4-D can be done with either a Ramp Type A combined with a MIS 90 degree curve or a FAMIS Ramp Type E combined with a FAMIS long inner curve piece.

4-E, same thing, except with a 90 degree curve piece added on the end.

4-P... not sure what you're suggesting here... but can probably be done with an existing A-type ramp.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!