• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM 31.1 Technical Support and Bug Report Thread

Started by Tarkus, April 16, 2013, 12:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z

Quote from: prismatist on April 29, 2013, 06:09:35 PM
Yep, I read the manual, and the wonderful/terrible effects it describes are what I wanted to play around with. But when I set it down to 1, wanting to unleash all kinds of destructive fun on the city, it does not seem to have an effect. Has anyone else experienced the checkbox just not staying selected?

The checkbox is not supposed to stay selected, as this is one of the few features in the TSCT that can actually degrade the performance of your game.  This feature has been tested, though, and is known to work.  If you set the Max Commute Time down to 1, it doesn't immediately affect all Sims; it just affects those who are looking for new jobs, and even then, you have to wait for the next run of the traffic simulator, which typically takes over a year when you restart a city.  If you run the game for several years and still don't notice anything, that means that the vast majority of your Sims are within a minute's commuting time of their jobs.  This is not unusual, especially if you follow the original game advice and intermix your zones.  The original game actually multiplied the commute time by 25, so a one-minute commute would show up as 25 minutes on the Commute Time graph, assuming you had a small city with no connections to other cities.

prismatist

Quote from: z on April 29, 2013, 06:41:56 PM
Quote from: prismatist on April 29, 2013, 06:09:35 PM
Yep, I read the manual, and the wonderful/terrible effects it describes are what I wanted to play around with. But when I set it down to 1, wanting to unleash all kinds of destructive fun on the city, it does not seem to have an effect. Has anyone else experienced the checkbox just not staying selected?

The checkbox is not supposed to stay selected, as this is one of the few features in the TSCT that can actually degrade the performance of your game.  This feature has been tested, though, and is known to work.  If you set the Max Commute Time down to 1, it doesn't immediately affect all Sims; it just affects those who are looking for new jobs, and even then, you have to wait for the next run of the traffic simulator, which typically takes over a year when you restart a city.  If you run the game for several years and still don't notice anything, that means that the vast majority of your Sims are within a minute's commuting time of their jobs.  This is not unusual, especially if you follow the original game advice and intermix your zones.  The original game actually multiplied the commute time by 25, so a one-minute commute would show up as 25 minutes on the Commute Time graph, assuming you had a small city with no connections to other cities.

Right on, thanks for the knowledge and the rapid response.

redlandcannibal

Quote from: z on April 29, 2013, 05:09:03 PMEither you somehow got a bad download, or else you have more basic system problems.  Do you all other programs work fine on your system?  I'd recommend doing a fresh download of the NAM; this is known to help in some cases.

Thanks for the quick response! I downloaded it from both this site and then again from SimTropolis, but get the same error both times. This is my first time seeing this error, so I don't think it's a system problem. I will try to download the file again and see if that helps.

z

Quote from: redlandcannibal on April 29, 2013, 10:41:13 PM
Thanks for the quick response! I downloaded it from both this site and then again from SimTropolis, but get the same error both times. This is my first time seeing this error, so I don't think it's a system problem. I will try to download the file again and see if that helps.

This sounds very strange.  What's your hardware configuration?

roadgeek

I don't know if this has been reported yet, but I noticed a texture glitch on one of the rotations of L1 RHW 6C over OWR; the other three look fine. I will try to post a pic.

GMT

Quote from: GMT on April 28, 2013, 09:02:32 AM
2) the hack to fake a street-neighborhood-connection with one tile of road.
it used to be just a snipped of road and mostly street textures when you did this trick, thus leading to the visual impression of a street neighborhood-connection while it actually was a regular road intersection.
since 31.1, this doesn't work anymore as almost the entire border-tile turns into road now. basically it's just the other way around than it was before, texturewise; when it ended up with 90% street 10% road across the tile's length, it's now 90% road and 10% street, making it impossible to span a street across the city border in a visually pleasing way...

now this problem is solved I might say...
the problem came with the us texture override wich changed the street2road transition to a more smoother one thus leading to the above mentioned problem.

... really, it is. I swear.

itsacoaster

Quote from: itsacoaster on April 27, 2013, 01:27:05 PM
I can't rotate the L2 RHW-4 filler piece. :(
Just wondering, have you looked into this at all?

And just to add to this, the filler piece tab ring seems to have problems.  Sometimes when I select the fillers menu, the tab ring goes through L2 RHW-2 but restarts after that.  Sometimes it doesn't and you get the full array of fillers.  I have no idea if that's a related problem, but it's something.  Can anyone else confirm it or do I have a bad file somewhere?

Tarkus

We're aware that the filler pieces are (yet again) misbehaving.  They seem to be behaving on the test build that I'm currently using, though, and as all that code's in the Github (and we now have a way to build the controller automatically from that, thanks to memo), it's going to be in 31.2.

-Alex

MOREOPTIONS

Good day,  Question.  In the attempt to have a 31.2 I am wondering.  would it be possible to have in play options to on the older sim HWY's/RHW's and off.  so one can mingle the types of textures and puzzle peaces.  after I have tryed the 31.0 and the 31.1.  I can see differences in functionality.   where one is buggy and is fixed by using the other.  then buggy in new areas when switched.  would be nice NOT TO HAVE TO KEEP RE_STARTING THE GAME. if it's possible to use a tool like DAMN with in the HWY menu that can disable or enable various setting's.  I think that would be a workable way to solve some buggy problems that keep re-appearing between the changes in the NAM,  without having to keep re-starting the game and re-loading between versions.  I hope this is simple and clear to understand what I am getting at.
Thank you for reading and I hope to be helpful in my idea!!!
Quote from: Tarkus on May 02, 2013, 04:06:00 PM
We're aware that the filler pieces are (yet again) misbehaving.  They seem to be behaving on the test build that I'm currently using, though, and as all that code's in the Github (and we now have a way to build the controller automatically from that, thanks to memo), it's going to be in 31.2.

-Alex

z

For now, we're simply working on increasing stability.  NAM 31.2 should be a lot more stable and reliable than its two predecessors.  As for crashes, do you have the 4GB patch installed?  Generally, it's extremely effective in ending crashes.

Quote from: MOREOPTIONS on May 02, 2013, 07:54:55 PM
if it's possible to use a tool like DAMN with in the HWY menu that can disable or enable various setting's.  I think that would be a workable way to solve some buggy problems that keep re-appearing between the changes in the NAM,  without having to keep re-starting the game and re-loading between versions.

Unfortunately, this isn't really feasible.  The problem isn't that particular settings are enabled; the problem is that they've been loaded into memory and are taking up space.  We really have no way of unloading them.  But a large number of bugs have been fixed for NAM 31.2, and if you have the 4 GB patch installed (assuming you're running on a 64-bit version of Windows), you shouldn't be seeing crashes even now.

MOREOPTIONS

HAVE NO CRASHES. only buggy NAM'S.  i look forward to try the 31.2.   if you look back,  you can see some of my posted pics. mostly related to RHW and textures that were missing. As well as complete set's between 31.0 and 31.1.  I was told one part is fixed in 31.1 but no one has posted a patch for it.  that's the one with missing menu Items in 31.1 puzzle peaces
Quote from: z on May 02, 2013, 08:41:33 PM
For now, we're simply working on increasing stability.  NAM 31.2 should be a lot more stable and reliable than its two predecessors.  As for crashes, do you have the 4GB patch installed?  Generally, it's extremely effective in ending crashes.

Quote from: MOREOPTIONS on May 02, 2013, 07:54:55 PM
if it's possible to use a tool like DAMN with in the HWY menu that can disable or enable various setting's.  I think that would be a workable way to solve some buggy problems that keep re-appearing between the changes in the NAM,  without having to keep re-starting the game and re-loading between versions.

Unfortunately, this isn't really feasible.  The problem isn't that particular settings are enabled; the problem is that they've been loaded into memory and are taking up space.  We really have no way of unloading them.  But a large number of bugs have been fixed for NAM 31.2, and if you have the 4 GB patch installed (assuming you're running on a 64-bit version of Windows), you shouldn't be seeing crashes even now.

spot

RHW-6C -> AVE-6 smooth transition no longer possible ??

Tarkus

If you downloaded the initial aborted 31.1 release (Controller e179/s179), that was an issue.  It was fixed for the real 31.1 release (Controller e180/s180).  Hover over the NAM icon at the bottom of the Highways menu to check which controller you have.

-Alex

spot

Quote from: Tarkus on May 05, 2013, 12:24:11 PM
If you downloaded the initial aborted 31.1 release (Controller e179/s179), that was an issue.  It was fixed for the real 31.1 release (Controller e180/s180).  Hover over the NAM icon at the bottom of the Highways menu to check which controller you have.

-Alex

You are correct. I'm downloading the newer version. Thank you.

vinlabsc3k

Sorry if already posted, but there's a bug with Project Symphony and Monorail overpass.
Some props without texture appear on monorail intersecting the PS ortho and diagonally :o and CTD (crash to desktop) with HSRP. :'(
I've installed all the NAM with small controller and without BTM.
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Opkl

Not sure if anyone posted something earlier, but the PS L2 ramp A is missing a rotation when pressing the "end" key. Also, the maxis avenue has issues when crossing under a L2 6C RHW.   

Tarkus

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on May 08, 2013, 10:21:51 AM
Sorry if already posted, but there's a bug with Project Symphony and Monorail overpass.
Some props without texture appear on monorail intersecting the PS ortho and diagonally :o and CTD (crash to desktop) with HSRP. :'(
I've installed all the NAM with small controller and without BTM.

We'll have to test that one.  I could potentially see the PS x HSRP being a case of stray triangles on the S3Ds.

Quote from: Opkl on May 08, 2013, 01:26:03 PM
Not sure if anyone posted something earlier, but the PS L2 ramp A is missing a rotation when pressing the "end" key. Also, the maxis avenue has issues when crossing under a L2 6C RHW.   

The PS "missing ramp" issues were one of the first things documented after 31.1 (Issue #119).  They've been fixed on our end for some time, and will work properly with NAM 31.2.  The L2 RHW networks are still less stable than the L1s and ground networks.  I'll take a look at that one.

-Alex

feyss

Hello. My game crash one time in two when I save the map. I tought it was solve with the last update. Someone has a solution to fix it ?

z

It sounds like you need to install the 4GB Patch, which was mentioned in the release announcement.