• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derwilly

Hi there

I seem to have a problem that is stopping me from releasing the next update in my MD  &ops

I cannot get this piece of the NAM. I tried removing and re-downloading the last NAM several times. Do you know what might be missing?

I also have the SAM and RHW. Any idea what might be interfering with this??

thanks!

Indonesia: land of smiles, home of chaos, nation of disorder. My favorite place on Earth!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66788325@N00/collections/72157600071762388/

Andreas

If you can see the other new NAM items in your menus (i. e. avenue roundabouts for GLR-in-Avenue), your NAM installation should work properly. The piece in question might be "hidden" in the rotation ring, that means you have to TAB to a similar piece and then rotate this piece until the right rotation shows up.
Andreas

GrayHalcyon

There seems to be an issue with the Elevated One-Way puzzle pieces, specifically one of the turns. It refuses to let any traffic go through.

So the steps I've took are as follows

1. Make sure all One-way pieces and roads are facing the proper direction. CHECK.

2. Build bypass around Elevated One-Way piece. Traffic was using bypass.

3. Uninstall, run Cleanitol, Reinstall with recommended. Ran test in a new city, no improvement.

4. Remove all plugins from Docs/Simcity 4/plugins and Maxis/simcity 4/plugins. New city, no improvement.

5. Repeat #3 after re-downloading NAM April 2008. No improvement.

Attached are illustrations involving the offending one-way piece, supporting my previous statements.

If I missed something really dumb, which I tried extra-hard not to do, don't go to hard on me. :D

Tarkus

Hi GrayHalcyon!  Welcome to SC4D!

To answer your question, that issue with some of the OWR puzzle pieces is the result of some of the Path Files for those accidentally being moved over to the Left-Hand Drive (LHD) Plugin by accident.

If you install the LHD Plugin in the main NAM folder (moving it out of the Z_LeftHandPlugin folder it normally installs to), the paths should function again for you.

Hope that helps!

-Alex (Tarkus)

GrayHalcyon

Excellent, all is as it should be. Thanks for the fast reponse.

derwilly

Quote from: Andreas on July 23, 2008, 02:12:12 AM
If you can see the other new NAM items in your menus (i. e. avenue roundabouts for GLR-in-Avenue), your NAM installation should work properly. The piece in question might be "hidden" in the rotation ring, that means you have to TAB to a similar piece and then rotate this piece until the right rotation shows up.

Hi Andreas

thanks for the answer. I already know about the TAB and rotation, but that's my point, this piece does not appear... anyways, I decided I'd go for the normal elevated rail and I'll have to get back to this some other time  :(
Indonesia: land of smiles, home of chaos, nation of disorder. My favorite place on Earth!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66788325@N00/collections/72157600071762388/

robertsmitz

hi iv downloaded the nam but cant seem to find the smooth curves anywhere can somone please help me

Andreas

The smooth curves are located at the end of the rotation ring for the Elevated Road and Avenue puzzle pieces.
Andreas

a1n2d3r4e5w6

After installing the euro RHW textures, how come the avenue a/ RHW, OWR a/RHW, Rail a/RHW and road a/ RHW puzzle pieces still have the old texture?

Haljackey

Quote from: a1n2d3r4e5w6 on July 24, 2008, 10:01:03 AM
After installing the euro RHW textures, how come the avenue a/ RHW and road a/ RHW puzzle pieces still have the old texture?

By old texture, do you mean the old Euro RHW texture or the standard RHW texture that comes with version 0.20?

At any rate, you might want to check if the Euro RHW texture is put in the right place (my documents/simcity 4/plugins/NAM/RHW and it loads after everything by having a "zzz" in front of the filename.

I hope this helps!  If not, would you be able to post a screenshot of the problem?  That would help a ton!

Best,
-Haljackey

A200

Does anyone know if there are any GLR Avenue Stations which work in U Drive it MODE? I like to drive around my city and when I drive through a station the U Drive it MODE exits.  :thumbsdown: same with the stations for EL Rail over Road! I would love to use GLR but if I can only look at it and not drive it then its no fun!

A200

EDIT: I have another problem  ()sad()

I have a roundabout, and one of the roads into it I have an exit for 2 overpasses (1 each way) which go over all the other roads feeding into the roundabout and back to the other side of the road. Now I check it with Draw Paths cheat on, and it comes up with a spot on both overpasses that has no traffic thing assigned to it- aka it hasn't been transit mapped  &mmm those are the bits circled in red!
The section that isn't drivable is the OWR over Diagonal Avenue texture.

Anyone know why I cannot drive on this bit? Traffic cannot go on the overpass and cannot go on the avenue under it either  ??? and I confirmed this by testing it with U Drive It.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

A200

a1n2d3r4e5w6

Maybe those pieces are facing the wrong direction, because if they are cars cannot drive there. Hope that helps.

Tarkus

A200, as posted earlier on this page:

Quote from: Tarkus on July 23, 2008, 03:52:49 PM
To answer your question, that issue with some of the OWR puzzle pieces is the result of some of the Path Files for those accidentally being moved over to the Left-Hand Drive (LHD) Plugin by accident.

If you install the LHD Plugin in the main NAM folder (moving it out of the Z_LeftHandPlugin folder it normally installs to), the paths should function again for you.

Hope that helps!

-Alex (Tarkus)

Chrisim

Quote from: A200 on July 26, 2008, 03:07:30 PMDoes anyone know if there are any GLR Avenue Stations which work in U Drive it MODE? I like to drive around my city and when I drive through a station the U Drive it MODE exits.  :thumbsdown: same with the stations for EL Rail over Road! I would love to use GLR but if I can only look at it and not drive it then its no fun!
All properly modded GLR Avenue stations (eg those from the LEX) do work in U Drive It mode, if you activated the stations in your game. You may want to read this tutorial, in particular sections 3 and 6 about activation of stations. By the way, the new stations shown in the tutorial were published on the SimCityKurier today and shall be published by Andreas on the LEX later tonight or tomorrow.

z

Can someone tell me how abandonment due to commute time is calculated?  Specifics would be appreciated, namely what property in what exemplar controls it.   Also, is it possible to tune this without affecting other types of abandonment?

In the real world, you just don't see abandonment due to commute time.  Buildings may be abandoned due to lack of desirability or lack of demand, both of which occur in SC4 as well.  But not commute time.  Sure, individuals in a building may decide their commute is too long and move somewhere else, but the whole building?  Doesn't happen.

In SC4, as long as the Commute Trip Max Time is long enough to allow the Sims to get to suitable jobs, and as long as their residence is actually touching a road or similar network, they should always be able to find a job.  But sometimes they don't.  Increasing Commute Trip Max Time helps to some extent, but never completely eliminates the problem.  The reason is the Pathfinding Heuristic.  The higher this number, the more likely a Sim is not to reach a job even if a suitable one exists.  Unfortunately, lowering this number significantly (i.e., beyond what the current traffic simulators use) increases the run time of the traffic simulator, and at very low numbers, you spend almost all your time running the traffic simulator long before you completely eliminate the abandonment problem.  So this is why I am looking for an alternate way to eliminate abandonment due to commute time.

CasperVg

I'm not an expert on this, but these are the somewhat relevant abandonment-related properties;

0x87cd6354 = Desirability Threshold Decline = Tracts with desirability greater than this value never abandon.

0x47e2c401 = Lot Developer Occupancy Thresholds = When to abandon, distress, and renew.

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

z

I had come across these, and these seemed relevant to what I wanted to do, but there were two problems.  First, they seemed to affect the abandonment of lots for all reasons, not just for commute problems.  Second, although I was able to locate the first property, I couldn't find which exemplar the second property was located in.  I found the property through the SC4Tool's property search, but couldn't figure out how to connect it to an exemplar from there.  So any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

superhands

here is one small issue that troubled my bridges plugin.

it overided the nam plugin and prevented the other bridges from showing.

hope this helps anyone else who may have a similar problem.

z

Here's a pretty basic question:  What units are the network capacities are measured in?  I have seen a number of posts assuming that they're measured in Sims/hour, but it seems just as likely to me that they're measured in Sims/day.  Does anyone have a definitive answer to this question, and if so, what is your source (or reasoning)?

jplumbley

Quote from: z on July 28, 2008, 08:32:35 PM
Here's a pretty basic question:  What units are the network capacities are measured in?  I have seen a number of posts assuming that they're measured in Sims/hour, but it seems just as likely to me that they're measured in Sims/day.  Does anyone have a definitive answer to this question, and if so, what is your source (or reasoning)?

Sims per day per tile.

Both evening and morning commutes count towards congestion.  You can figure this out from the default game, test a single road, it will become red at 1250 cars if I remember correctly.  Capacity was equal to 1000 cars per tile per day, the color red showed at approximately 250% capacity meaning both to and return trips must count.  MAXIS screwed this up originally, they took into account that there were two trips per day so that made the congestion color ramp show red at 250% instead of 120% capacity.  But what MAXIS didnt do when they did this was change the values of the "Congestion vs Speed" Property, so when your roads were showing red at 250% capacity they had already been suffering the effects of congestion since it broke 100% capacity.  IF they wanted to included both trips in their calculations they should have had the Congestion vs Speed and the Cngestion color ramp syncronied, but they didnt.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM