• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdly_dood

About the one-way-road puzzle piece path problem... So I should install the LHD plugin in order to avoid that problem, even if I have my game set to RHD? (Just clarifying)

In fact I haven't seen that problem yet... but I don't use elevated road puzzle pieces often, and when I do, they are usually two-way networks, which apparently aren't affected.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: nerdly_dood on August 23, 2008, 04:54:18 PM
About the one-way-road puzzle piece path problem... So I should install the LHD plugin in order to avoid that problem, even if I have my game set to RHD? (Just clarifying)

Correct. It helped me anyway, and sims still drive on the right.

And to check if your pieces have the problem too, just turn on the Draw Paths cheat.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Odd from Sweden

First, thanks for NAM! I know there are a zibillions hours of work behind this...

Now second, I have a problem. I just installed the new NAM where You can choose between yellow, red or brown arches under the elevated heavy rail. Well, they are nicely modeled and everything but I am sorry but I do not want any of those!! Please tell me the way to get back the old, ordinary elevated "maxis style" heavy rail without arches!

MandelSoft

Unfortunatly, there is no (or not yet) a way to get the old elevated rail without having the new NAM. The models are removed.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Andreas

Well, there is a file that includes the old models, but it wasn't released because it's not complete anymore - all newer rail viaduct puzzle pieces were done exclusively with the arches. If you want, I can send you the file, but some puzzle pieces might not show up properly afterwards. If there's enough demand, I guess ArkenbergeJoe could re-do the new pieces with the old style, and it can be released as optional file, similar to the old GLR textures.
Andreas

mp2689

how do u make road roundabouts plz help me i can't find nywhere plz i'm new here &ops :'( &cry2 :( ()sad()

sithlrd98

Anybody know which NAM .dat the avenue curves are in...I have searched many times but they keep eluding me....want to see how hard it would be to add sidewalks(like the ones that were done for streets at ST)

Thanks
Jayson

j-dub

@Mp2689 Hi, and welcome to SC4 Devotion. First off, are you actually able to make the other roundabouts? During the NAM's installation where the roundabout menu is, they actually have a seperate box next to each network that has to checked in order to work. Since you only mentioned "Road", I am assuming you have found the other roundabouts, correct?  You know when you draw a one way road in a circle 3x3 tile sizes, right? Well the Road round about, is done by dragging as well, except it is only 4 tiles size. So you have to draw a circle with the road 2x2 tiles. Then it should automatically turn into a roundabout. Unlike the oneway roundabout, you can no longer put the road in the center, because the math here is smaller. Yeah, I know its hard to figure out, being that the avenue roundabout could be plopped. That came out long after the road and oneway did. If you can draw it, no need to plop it.

Odd from Sweden

mrtnrln and Andreas, thanks for the replies. The problem is that a few of my rail bats do not fit the new heavier columns and arches. But it seems it is an easier way to fix the problem to tweak the bats than to try to change the NAM...

Andreas

Ah, I see. :) Well, the old rail viaduct "style" was more or less a temporary thing right from the beginning, due to the lack of proper models. ArkenbergeJoe made the new arches as modular as possible, and variations of it could be made, but for now, I guess adapting the BAT models to the viaducts is the easier way indeed. ;)
Andreas

Nexis4Jersey

I'm having problems with my NAM on my vista it won't work fully, the bridge controller works and certain avenue intersection combos but nothing else , i reinstalled it 5 x already , i never had this problem on my XP PC.  I did all the same installing procedures! It keep showing a red cursor on custom pieces!  can anyone help me? 

nerdly_dood

You likely have old NAM files in your Plugins folder.  You could possibly use the BSC Cleanitol program to place the files in the Cleanitol text file included with the latest NAM in another folder, but my experience with Cleanitol has been that it doesn't work on my version of Vista.  You must then manually search your hard drive with the Windows search function for each of the files in the Cleanitol file. (It is just a text file, if you don't have Microsoft Office or OpenOffice or another word processor, it cam be opened with Notepad or Wordpad, both are word processors included with Vista)

You might also want to look at the NAM FAQ which are here.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.

SamJam

Quote from: sim-al2 on August 22, 2008, 06:41:05 AM
...Perhaps you should try putting a avenue there your going first, which also allows network props to appear correctly. If that dosen't work, maybe you should empty your plugins and try it again.

EDIT: Can you delete the road after you plop that piece? or do you just have a road piece hanging out randomly?

Well as it turns out my plugins folder got a little jumbled during its transfer to a new computer. I'd been on SC4D and ST immediately after testing out my new system and had begun downloading several more plugins--then when I transferred the "old ones", I didn't want to immediately mix them up so I put them in a seperate folder which was then placed in the plugins folder on my new system. Anyway, once I shifted all the "old ones" into the main plugin folder everything worked normally again (including my missing turning lanes, although I can't recall if I mentioned that one before). I had no idea simply moving everything one folder deeper would mess things up... I mean, bottom line, they were still inside the plugins folder all along.  &mmm

Lesson learned: Do not mess with the plugins folder. LOL.

As for your question... that was the very first option I tried. And no, simply destroying the road segment after plopping the puzzle piece did not work, as the puzzle piece was destroyed as well. But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

b22rian

Hi, Im having some problems with the NDEX ITS Nam terminus station... i was wondering if anyone else had
the same issues with it.. I started out trying it out on a test map of mine first.. It looks fine the way the el rail
tracks hook up into it and you do have pedestrian pathing through the stations and into the industrial zones
i have near by.. But noone is using the el rail part of it.. I tested my set up my plopping in another el rail station
I had and it was being used just fine..

Something else I thought was a bit strange , but didnt think this had anything to do with the transit modding side to it.. But I noticed when i removed the sc4 descr file from the folder I can no longer see the station just the station
platform.. i thought my understanding on that was we didnt have to bother with placing any of the sc 4 desc files
into our plug in folders ? , so i thought this strange...

Also I am unable to get 2 dependencies for it which seem to be missing over at simtropolis .. although again I thought my understanding on that was dependencies have to do only with the batting and textures and such and
nothing to do with the functionality of the transit modding side to stations , correct ?

otherwise , Looking at the comments from other users at simtropolis i did notice one other later comment from
someone experiencing the exact same issues with it that im having.. So it was just a guess on my part that
possibly the station may have some sort of conflict with one of the later Nam releases.. but not an earlier one..
(station was released in may of 06).. otherwise im a bit stumped with this one at the moment..
Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks Brian

Pat

Hey Brian I hope I can help you sort threw your problems here and to start off with....

Quote from: b22rian on September 17, 2008, 05:22:55 PM
Hi, Im having some problems with the NDEX ITS Nam terminus station... i was wondering if anyone else had
the same issues with it.. I started out trying it out on a test map of mine first.. It looks fine the way the el rail
tracks hook up into it and you do have pedestrian pathing through the stations and into the industrial zones
i have near by.. But noone is using the el rail part of it.. I tested my set up my plopping in another el rail station
I had and it was being used just fine..

For this problem you might have to contact Ill Tonks over at Simtropolis as since he is the orginal creator of the lot...

Something else I thought was a bit strange , but didnt think this had anything to do with the transit modding side to it.. But I noticed when i removed the sc4 descr file from the folder I can no longer see the station just the station platform.. i thought my understanding on that was we didnt have to bother with placing any of the sc 4 desc files into our plug in folders ? , so i thought this strange...

The SC4Desc is what tells the game what the model is IE prop or building for patricular lot that it would be associated with IE NDEX ITS NAM Terminus Station...  When you download a property which includes a .SC4DESC file you also need the associated .SC4MODEL file as the model file contains the graphics. The desc file has pointers to the graphics in the model file. Generally, when you have a proper .DAT file you have a file where the .SC4DESC and .SC4MODEL files have been merged into one file.

Also I am unable to get 2 dependencies for it which seem to be missing over at simtropolis .. although again I thought my understanding on that was dependencies have to do only with the batting and textures and such and
nothing to do with the functionality of the transit modding side to stations , correct ?

Dependencies hmmm well to best explain it that they are needed props and textures for the lot to look like what the creator had just made.... The lot is what you have as the end user or downloader,  Now yes there may be dependcies required for some lots... But as I said that is so the lot looks what the LOTter or BATter wanted to show off...

There are BATters and some LOTters that use Maxis props and then you wouldnt need to download anything else at all.... Also on the modding side of things there shouldn't be any effects for missing some dependencies at all

otherwise , Looking at the comments from other users at simtropolis i did notice one other later comment from
someone experiencing the exact same issues with it that im having.. So it was just a guess on my part that
possibly the station may have some sort of conflict with one of the later Nam releases.. but not an earlier one..
(station was released in may of 06).. otherwise im a bit stumped with this one at the moment..
Any help would be appreciated..

This last part I wish I could be more of help on but honestly I just dont know at all....  I do hope that I've helped out at least a little bit

~~~ Patrick~~~~

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

nerdly_dood

Quote from: Pat on September 17, 2008, 06:22:40 PM
For this problem you might have to contact Ill Tonks over at Simtropolis as since he is the orginal creator of the lot...

Since B22rian is kinda new here I think it's best to clarify that his username is ill_tonkso and the best way to contact him is in the Simtropolis live chat, but he's not always in there, but he is a lot of the time. He's in the UK so his slife is running 5 hours head of Americans' (in the eastern states at least)

My 100th post in NAM Place!

b22rian

well first of all, ya i'm still kinda new here as nerdy mentioned.. But you guys are all really great here  &apls
I never expected to get 2 replies that fast to my posting really.. And I have nothing at all against simtropolis
and the people who hang out there but there are really some very very, good people here !

Pat, its certainly a pleasure to meet you. and yes you helped me a great deal , thanks...

I kinda half expected to get scolded a bit as its certainly a very loose assumption for me to imply that the issues
i'm having with this station have anything to do with the latest nam's.. and I had to ask myself did this post even
belong in the nam thread really.. So thanks for your patiences with a newer guy here like myself..

usually when I run into a problem like this, i will try to research it the best i can and see if I can figure something
out before i start bothering you guys, many of whom I now realize are very busy with both real life and there involvement with all the great projects that are always ongoing here at sc devotion.. Anyways since the stex
was where i dled the station from I figured my best chance to find something out was over at simtropolis..
Problem is, and im not sure you guys have noticed this yet, but there search engines over there seem to be
messed up at the moment, making things a bit slow to do any research into the forums there...

Quote from: nerdly_dood on September 17, 2008, 06:59:47 PM
Since B22rian is kinda new here I think it's best to clarify that his username is ill_tonkso and the best way to contact him is in the Simtropolis live chat, but he's not always in there, but he is a lot of the time. He's in the UK so his slife is running 5 hours head of Americans' (in the eastern states at least)

Yup, i think thats the way i may need to go with this.. As i stated I hate bothering people too much but on
the other hand if there is a problem with his station , than perhaps he would want to know...

Quote from: Pat on September 17, 2008, 06:22:40 PM

The SC4Desc is what tells the game what the model is IE prop or building for patricular lot that it would be associated with IE NDEX ITS NAM Terminus Station...  When you download a property which includes a .SC4DESC file you also need the associated .SC4MODEL file as the model file contains the graphics. The desc file has pointers to the graphics in the model file. Generally, when you have a proper .DAT file you have a file where the .SC4DESC and .SC4MODEL files have been merged into one file.

Yup thanks,

I suspected this was the case..so again I find it strange when i took out the .sc4DESC file it would alter the graphics like it did.. Anyways even though it shouldnt make any difference really, I placed it back into my
plug- ins folder just the same..

Dependencies hmmm well to best explain it that they are needed props and textures for the lot to look like what the creator had just made.... The lot is what you have as the end user or downloader,  Now yes there may be dependcies required for some lots... But as I said that is so the lot looks what the LOTter or BATter wanted to show off...

There are BATters and some LOTters that use Maxis props and then you wouldnt need to download anything else at all.... Also on the modding side of things there shouldn't be any effects for missing some dependencies at all

Yes thanks.. I was still ok with the "look" of the station ..  even with the 2 missing dependencies..
and I thank you for confirming those dependencies
do not have anything to do with the functionality of the station...

This last part I wish I could be more of help on but honestly I just dont know at all....  I do hope that I've helped out at least a little bit

~~~ Patrick~~~~

" NO problem at all Pat, as i stated you helped out a great deal !.  I know sometimes these modding issues
    can be kinda complex..To be honest I have my doubts there is anything even wrong with ill_tonkso
   nice looking terminus station as i know sometimes it can be some type of conflict with ones individual
   plug -in folder.. reading through the comments i only ran across one other person who was experiencing a
   similar problem , although sometimes I would caution that those comments don't always tell you as much as
   hope for, as most comments are done initially thanking the modder the same or the next day a file is uploaded
   and does sometimes take time for "functionality issues" to show up.."

I think I also figured in time, others may read and notice the posting who might be using this el rail station and
would share with me one way or the other the proper functionality of it ..

I also thought about posting some pics but maybe the first step as you guys pointed out to me is to try and
contact ill_tonkso...

In any event was my pleasure to meet you guys  :)

Thanks again, Brian

ebina

@b22rian:
The station was created for the elevated heavy rail, I think. Because the menu button of it is in the Rail & Depot, and rail texture looks like heavy rail. Transit switches of the station are exactly for the heavy rail. If you laid out the heavy rail next to the station, sims will get on heavy rail trains.

But for some reason the station connects to the elevated light rail. This can be fixed easily. I may create a patch file for it.

b22rian

Thanks so much Ebina !

yes i wondered why the button was in the heavy rail menu myself.. I just figured it would put in the wrong
menu.. But I verified the functionality as a heavy rail station and using the draw paths dll it is indeed a
heavy rail station !!

Quote from: ebina on September 18, 2008, 04:06:19 AM

But for some reason the station connects to the elevated light rail. This can be fixed easily. I may create a patch file for it.

Sure when you get some time that would be great.. I know you are helping Z and cogeo with those underground
rail stations for the new road top MT to be out soon.. And I understand that would take priority over this small issue.. I look forward to seeing what you can come up with.. RE: your underground rail stations.. And it was very nice to hear that you had resumed that worthwhile project...

Thanks so much Ebina  &apls,

Regards, Brian

Pat

Hey Brian it was my pleasure in helping out, so dont worry there at all...  Any futher questions dont hesitate to ask at all!!! also like wise its good to meet you too....

cheers

pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie