• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z

Quote from: Zelgadis on February 21, 2009, 10:26:42 PM
I do use radical ordinance though.  Specifically the no garbage and no pollution ordinances.

Try removing the files for these and see if it helps.  There's all sorts of interesting stuff in there that could be having an effect.

Andreas

Quote from: Zelgadis on February 21, 2009, 09:26:10 PM
Secondly, this file, NetworkAddonMod_OverpassUpdate_Maxis_Components_Plugin.dat, is mentioned in the documentation but is not included in the Mac version.

It is in the ZIP on my HD - could it be possible that I accidentially forgot to include it in the first NAM upload, before I updated the NAM due to that crucial RUL update? Another small NAM Bugfix update will be released shortly, so in case the file is missing, it'll be uploaded to the LEX once the bugfixes are ready. The file you mentioned is only a cosmetic fix, though, so your problem must come from something else.
Andreas

Zelgadis

Well, I have a work-around for now that at least lets me have my cake and eat it too.  :)  I reinstalled the April NAM but I used the January NAM controller file.  Now I have NAM and fully-functioning SAM.  Works fine too.  ;)

I will make another attempt to get new NAM working again in the future.  This is holding me for now.  Thanks for everyone's advice.  At least I now know what the problem isn't so I can limit my possibilities when I try again.   ;D

ISF

majorjet

i am so glad that I found this forum and this community of players!  Now I can ask questions that have been nagging me all this time.

I checkec the faq and this wasn't there so I'm asking it here.

When I click on query for a building, it shows there are workers.
But when I click on the route query, it shows there are no workers, so there's none of those coloured arrow bars that shows what my sims are using to get to work.

Is this a bug in nam?  What can I do about it so that when I click the route query, the coloured arrow bars will show.

thanks soo much you all. :)

b22rian

Quote from: majorjet on February 24, 2009, 06:31:45 AM
i am so glad that I found this forum and this community of players!  Now I can ask questions that have been nagging me all this time.

I checkec the faq and this wasn't there so I'm asking it here.

When I click on query for a building, it shows there are workers.
But when I click on the route query, it shows there are no workers, so there's none of those coloured arrow bars that shows what my sims are using to get to work.

Is this a bug in nam?  What can I do about it so that when I click the route query, the coloured arrow bars will show.

thanks soo much you all. :)

First of all Majorjet let me extent a warm welcome on behalf of sim devotion !..

let me take the liberty of first assuming a couple of things, because your mis -understanding of this is a very
common one in the game ..

1) when you say query in your first statement i assume you mean a normal query and not a route query there.

2) When you say building i assume you mean either a commercial or industrial building..

Ok, with that being said when you query one of those buildings your going to get a set of numbers something
like this...

current jobs  151/ 177..

ok this is the hard part..
Those 2 numbers you see next to jobs have nothing to do with  the current workers in that building...

Here is what those numbers mean..

151 - that means the  number of jobs avialable that building can hold given the conditions which surround it.. IE; ( land value, amount of garbage, pollution levels, traffic noise .. ect )

177-  is the maximum numbers of jobs a building can have if the surrounding conditions were ideal..

The ONLY way you can find out how many workers work in a given building is by using the route query..
So if you dont see any colored paths leading up and into the building, that means that building currently
has no workers in there..ok

Anyways, I hope this helps... and let us know if you meant something different with this..
Otherwise we can move on to your other questions..

And by the way dont feel bad about this. I possibly played the game for about 2 years thinking what you did..
that those numbers from the normal query meant workers !!

Thanks, Brian

FrankU

Brian,

Your answer to majorjet throws up another question that has been nagging me for some time already.

Ok, ok I know it's no NAM question, so punish me if this is illegal, but please: it is a simple question.
If I query an industrial building I often see that trucks or trains are leaving the building. So there is production, so there should be people working in it. But the query does not show any workers going there for work! Is that normal? And if yes: why is this? And if not: what can I do? It seems a bit stupid...

z

The automata are essentially eye candy.  They are produced according to the function of the building (and only certain buildings produce them), but they really don't tell you the level of activity there, which may be zero.  So what you're seeing is normal.  Essentially, it's a limitation of the simulation.

deathtopumpkins

Frank, the industries don't actually need employees to function... they just keep shipping things out. I would assume Maxis did this to make it easier on us as players. Nothing you can do about it...
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

majorjet

oh wow, what an eye opener!  Thanx Brian for giving me the info.  And here I was thinking all this time that my sims were lazy and not going to work hahaha! :D

FrankU

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 24, 2009, 03:05:58 PM
Frank, the industries don't actually need employees to function... they just keep shipping things out. I would assume Maxis did this to make it easier on us as players. Nothing you can do about it...

So I don't need residents for industry? Why then all the fuzz......????
Anyway, maybe I continue this subject in an appropriate thread. Thanks!

SimFox

I have a very odd problem caused by latest release of NAM.

After it has been installed Zoom5 East of MoscowRed has been turned into this:

and here is what it should look like (barring the difference in Zoom level (this is Zoom4)

I've traced this problem to NetworkAddonMod4.dat.
Problem only affect this zoom/rotation. Oddest part is that there really shouldn't be any sort of problem NONE of the GIs have even remotely anything in common.
My building FSHs TGIs that are replaced by NAM ones are
7ab50e44 135c6ca8 000a0400-09
TGIs of the NAM:
7ab50e44 1abe787d 521fff01-0f (some of those anyway)

Another odd thing is that switching to night view doesn't affect this problem. Same very FSHs are displayed now in stead of night views of this zoom/rotation of the building.
Does anyone have idea how there may be a conflict between those two?

Problem shows up on existing (prior to NAM2009 installation as well as on newly plopped/grown buildings, both in established and newly started cities.

z

On the NAM home page, the dates don't correspond to the releases described.  The first release is labeled "April 2008," but it actuall describes the January 2009 release; the other releases are mislabeled in a similar way.

Jonathan

Actaully The first one is April 2008(Says the HSRP is new and theres no mention of FLUPs and Tram/Road), just the page page hasn't been updated and there is no Jan 2009 on that page anywhere

Jonathan

z

Ah, closer examination shows that you appear to be correct here.  So the page just needs to be updated.

I think this is a sign it's time for me to go to bed...   /wrrd%&

wallasey

I have just downloaded the recent NAM (been dormant for a good while!) but I have found the Highway Textures have reverted to Maxis'. I use Thorvin's Asphalt texture.

Is this texture obsolete with the new NAM?

http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?page=36&cat=Modds#

I have looked back through to page 39, and at the FAQ but it seems this problem hasn't occured.

Andreas

Thorvin's mod should still work if it is loaded after the NAM, but it does not contain any textures for the new highway items that have been made recently.
Andreas

wallasey

Quote from: Andreas on March 01, 2009, 03:03:12 PM
Thorvin's mod should still work if it is loaded after the NAM, but it does not contain any textures for the new highway items that have been made recently.

Thanks Andreas!

gayleau

Hi all, Sorry for my stupidity; I am fairly new to SC4. I installed NAM and the Essentials and had everything working fine but then I wanted to change a couple of options so I uninstalled and reinstalled. Now the turning lanes aren't showing up. I can't figure out what I did wrong the second time around. Can anyone give me a few hints and tell me what I have done wrong? Thanks.

Andreas

Well, maybe you forgot to select the turning lanes plugin? Check the "Plugins" subfolder of your NAM installation folder - it should have a DAT file that has "turning lanes" in the filename (there's one for Avenue turning lanes and one for Road turning lanes). If you forgot to install it, you can simply run the installer again (without uninstalling again), but please make sure to select the same installation folder and the same plugins (esp. Traffic and Automata plugins) than before - well, and don't forget the turning lanes this time. ;)
Andreas