• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crushedcar

I have a question regarding the RHW-4 Suspension Bridge.

I know in older versions of the NAM I could Drag this across a 240 tile gap and only get two towers. Here I'm getting three over a much smaller span. I've tried looking for the bridges definition in the Birdge Controller and have been unable to find it. Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

jedi93

Hey guys,
I'm not sure if it's a bug or something on my end, but it seems that the T-RAM networks are not "draggable" as they should be in this new version. I did what you should do (drag El-Rail over Road for ex.) but it just built elevated Rail. I have to click on every tile to convert it to a T-RAM.
What is wrong?

greetz
jedi93

blade2k5

RHW no longer shows up on the regional transportation map ever since I installed NAM 33 (haven't been able to install 34 yet even though I've tried several times).  I even went as far to find Jondor's old mod on my external hard drive and reinstalled it and still no RHW in the regional transportation map, same thing with HBS's Peach mod I downloaded from SimTrop today.  What's going on?  Makes it difficult to plan your freeway system when looking at your region through Region Census.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

matias93

Up to what I've seen, there are only some types of RHW networks that vanish in the regional map (RHW-6S in the normal view is the most reported problem); it seems to be a problem related to low zoom images, and I'm not sure if it was resolved in NAM 34.

A way to circumvent it is to put park-type lots around RHW, since those are also visible in the transportation view, so the negative space is the missed network.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

blade2k5

Thanks for the rather quick response matias93.  I always plop grass along the highway edges, and a row or two of trees beyond the grass line.  Funny thing is, I use the RHW 6S almost exclusively now.  Got bored with the RHW 4S.  What about the 8 & 10 lane RHW's?  Same issue?

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

APSMS

Quote from: jedi93 on February 25, 2016, 01:19:04 PM
Hey guys,
I'm not sure if it's a bug or something on my end, but it seems that the T-RAM networks are not "draggable" as they should be in this new version. I did what you should do (drag El-Rail over Road for ex.) but it just built elevated Rail. I have to click on every tile to convert it to a T-RAM.
What is wrong?

greetz
jedi93
Hi jedi93,

Unfortunately, nothing is wrong. That is exactly how the "draggable" TRAM networks work. The name draggable is slightly misleading, but keep in mind you do not have to plop down intersection pieces when interacting with other networks, including T & + intersections, bending TRAM, or interactions between TRAM networks (GLR-on-street, Tram-In-Road, Tram-On-Road, Tram-In-Avenue). The "draggable" iterations are also much more stable than the puzzle pieces, though I think a few paths went missing in the process.

Be aware, then, of how your tram network is being used. If an area seems strangely devoid of traffic, check the paths and swap out the dragged components for the PuzzlePieces, which still work 100% fine and weren't touched in the latest release. It's a bit of a drag ;), but next NAM (or maybe the one after) it should be a lot better. Baby steps.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

jedi93

Quote from: APSMS on February 25, 2016, 04:53:45 PM
Quote from: jedi93 on February 25, 2016, 01:19:04 PM
Hey guys,
What is wrong?

greetz
jedi93
Hi jedi93,

Unfortunately, nothing is wrong. That is exactly how the "draggable" TRAM networks work. The name draggable is slightly misleading, but keep in mind you do not have to plop down intersection pieces when interacting with other networks, including T & + intersections, bending TRAM, or interactions between TRAM networks (GLR-on-street, Tram-In-Road, Tram-On-Road, Tram-In-Avenue). The "draggable" iterations are also much more stable than the puzzle pieces, though I think a few paths went missing in the process.

Be aware, then, of how your tram network is being used. If an area seems strangely devoid of traffic, check the paths and swap out the dragged components for the PuzzlePieces, which still work 100% fine and weren't touched in the latest release. It's a bit of a drag ;) , but next NAM (or maybe the one after) it should be a lot better. Baby steps.

Thanks for answering :)
It seems the intersections don't really work for me. If I have Tram-on-Street crossing Tram-in-Road, I can't get the intersection (though I haven't even seen a corresponding puzzle piece, so maybe it's just not possible at the moment).

greeting
jedi93

Swordmaster

That piece doesn't exist indeed, in neither form. As a workaround, you could switch the TOS to TIR right before the intersection.

I remember one of my first posts here on Devotion, almost five years ago, also involved asking about a tram piece that didn't exist, in this very same thread. How time has flown. . . I should get around to making that piece, btw. In draggable form then ;D

Cheers
Willy

cogeo

Hi all, I have a question about NAM 34. Is there some way to have the ANT (rural roads?) network (as far as I remember it looked identical to normal roads) available, without installing the RHW? I opted to not install these (incl much more draggable stuff like NWM, RRW, draggable GLR-in-Ave, draggable TRAM etc) so as to get a controller as small as possible. It seems the installer does not install ANT if you do not install the RHW. Any idea? Is the part of the controller for ANT available separately somewhere? Or, conversely, if I install a full controller what are the IDs for the ANT network? I could then merge the ANT RULs into my own controller.

vinlabsc3k

Sorry to bother, but I would know how to create a RHW overpass on TIA. :-[

Thanx in advance!!
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

APSMS

You have to drag the RHW up to the TIA,and then continue from the other side, but don't, under any circumstances, drag it over, as this will deconvert both networks. Also, I think you need to be using draggable TIA, which is made by clicking in the Avenue with the El-Rail tool.

Then everything should be hunky dory.

vinlabsc3k

My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

APSMS

There was one, but I can't find it. I certainly can't make one, but if you do exactly like I said, it should work great.

Actually, the process is identical to using the OST for roads, avenues, and one-way roads, in that you can't drag the road through the transition. You can only drag up to the transition, and then away from it; dragging through deconverts and screws up your slopes.

The same is true for the RHW over GLR. Drag up to, but not through, the Draggable GLR/TIA/TIR/TOR and the RHW will autoconnect over the network. The override should carry through, and it may be worth noting that this functionality was in place I think since NAM 31 or 32, but only for RHW-2 over TIA. I did it once, but the ultimate utility of RHW-2 over TIA is pretty limited.

APSMS

Was investigating a stretch of TOR in my main city that wasn't getting used by trams, but was getting used by road traffic. I had previously reported that there were missing paths in the draggable intersections of the TOR, which was preventing cars from using the network. My city was not yet developed enough to comment on the GLR usage of that section of line, but 110 000 people later, I can safely say there is something wonky going on with the paths.
Here is the stretch in question:

In case it's not obvious, the faint grey overlay indicates the track. The empty stretch in question is bracketed by stations, and although there are two stations in that stretch, there are exactly zero GLR users (but numerous cars and freight and buses).

Unfortunately the picture above was taken after I replaced the stretch entirely with Puzzle Pieces, but I took the sample pic below to highlight the issue:

If you look closely, both stretches of TOR are recognized by the game's traffic volume data view as El-rail, but the left, "draggable" stretch (made by clicking the Rail tool on the stretch of Road) has the "El-Rail" volume overlay hugging the road, while the plopped stretch on the right has the overlay in the position normally seen for GLR, the phantom El-Rail track 15m above the ground.

I'm not saying that this is the source of the problem, but more a visual indicator of what may be happening underneath the hood. FWIW, the stretch of GLR that does work (on both ends of that dead zone) has upwards of 1200 GLR passengers (on both ends), so it's unlikely that it's just an undesirable stretch of track.

EDIT: Replaced track section (with PPs) after a rerun of the traffic simulator, with apparently 800 GLR passengers:

Themistokles

I found this with the new RHW euro textures. It seems like some pieces at the end of the RHW-2 intersections retain a distinctly American yellowish hue ::), unless of course I haven't done something wrong with the files. If it's the former, you've probably already seen this, but since I can't find it in the thread I guess maybe once too much is better than once to little. :P

Cheers and have a great day!

Image attached because I'm too tired to bother with image-hosts ;)
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

mgb204

@ APSMS:
Sorry, I'm having trouble seeing the problem piece in your pictures. If you could clearly show with DrawPaths on, those which have problems, making a new path is but a minutes work ;).

@Themistokles:
These textures probably don't have EU variants then.

As it happens, I've already re-worked them for EU & LHD usage as an update for NAM 35. LHD support never existed for these pieces. I have to check my files, but one way or another I can provide a patch with RHD EU textures for you. All these updates might be a bit late though. Since I'm sure it won't be too long before they are replaced with flexible alternatives.

APSMS

Robin, I will take one with DrawPaths on, but the caveat is that I can't seem to find any explicit indicator that the paths aren't working.

The main way you can tell was that the traffic volume indicator for EL-Rail was on; evidence of the Passenger rail paths (for UDI purposes) shows up in that same view when Passenger Rail volume is highlighted. Obviously no passenger trains (heavy rail) run on the line, but the data view still shows the faint line to indicate it's tracking the network.

In fact, the paths for both Puzzle Piece and draggable component are both on the surface of the street, so the only tangible evidence I can provide is that the data view for the dragged stretch shows the TOR hugging the road surface, while the PP TOR is hovering 15m in the air as is typical for the elevated network based overrides. And as far as I can tell, UDI works on both, but I haven't tested in a while to be sure.

FWIW, automata didn't travel the empty stretch either, even though trains are well-known for continuing their journey's onto unused track sections until the line runs out.

All this despite appearing to have all the requisite paths, and no apparent breaks in the pathing either.