• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

I actually did some calculations based on the narrow-gauge Passenger network near where I live. One of the models of train they use is 3.8m from bottom of wheel to top of the airconditioning units. Add 1m for the pantograph, which is probably a bit generous, and it comes out at 4.8m, below the revised height.

Of course, I'm talking real height and not game height. Knowing the game's whacked-out scaling, it's probably vastly different.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Swordmaster

But we're talking broad gauge here. (How about we make a mod for narrow-gauge? :P)

Like everything else, loading gauges are considerably different across regions, but with exception of double stacking clearances (5.5-6.15m), most range between 4.3 and 4.8m. This excludes an elevated pantograph, which is not considered part of the gabarit. On the Belgian network the wire hangs between 5.1 and 5.5m from the rails.

(G1 is a European standard, G2 is German.)

For your interest, the tracks on the new textures are 13 pixels wide, which translates to 1.625m, only 19cm off real scale.

Cheers
Willy

Vlasky

Amazing and very thorough job you've been all doing here and all this attention is well deserved. Great job boys :)
My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

vortext

Quote from: Swordmaster on June 18, 2013, 09:37:39 AM
the tracks on the new textures are 13 pixels wide, which translates to 1.625m, only 19cm off real scale.

What!? Nineteen centimeters off, that is unacceptable!!  $%Grinno$%

On a more serious note, the stub textures look great, as do the break-thingies.  &apls
btw, what is the correct rail parlor for these?

Eggman, your catenaries are great too. Pretty exciting they're slope friendly and given your traffic signs I'm sure they'll look awesome in the final render!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Aaron Graham

I love the railroad track!!!!!! :O

I need to keep a look out on this project. :D
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

io_bg

I fear this is going to be one of my favourite threads for the next months ;D Some excellent work both on the slope-conforming catenaries and the new textures!
P.S.: the "stop thingy" everyone refers to is called a buffer, do I remember right?
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

eggman121

Quote from: vester on June 18, 2013, 08:43:11 AM
The weird mix up with dimensions in the games  :P

People are what 4.5 meters tall !?!
Thing the safety clearance in Denmark is 1.75 meters is overhead power lines.

SO: Please duck when going under the wires, so the power don't "jump" you.

5.25 meters is very low. The pantograph would lay all the way down to the roof.
Don't see any reason as to why it get be raised to 6.25 meters.
The top wired (bearing) would just stop at poles next to the bridges and under the bridges the power line would be hanging from the bridges.

Quote from: Swordmaster on June 18, 2013, 09:37:39 AM
Like everything else, loading gauges are considerably different across regions, but with exception of double stacking clearances (5.5-6.15m), most range between 4.3 and 4.8m. This excludes an elevated pantograph, which is not considered part of the gabarit. On the Belgian network the wire hangs between 5.1 and 5.5m from the rails.

I have adjusted the height of the overhead bottom wire to 5.75m. It will be a tight squeeze between the Rolling stock and the L0 Bridges. The top wire now sits at 7m at its highest point with the top wire sagging down to 6.5m. So for certainty the wire will be at 5.75m    

Swordmaster

Sounds about right Eggman. While your project is not specific to the RRW, we should tune things so they are fully compatible. I'd be willing to help you out on T21'ing. It'll be a considerable job, though, given how. . . er. . . well, you'll see ;D

Vortext, the correct English terms usually elude me as well. From what I can tell, it is buffer stop in Europe and bumper in the US. Which sounds logical because in America they don't have buffers.

All modeling credit is due to Matt (threestooges), whose help has been and will continue to be crucial in this project.

Speaking of clearances. . .

Cheers
Willy

RepublicMaster

That compatibility. :O

These are looking really good. I can wait to see some more. :)

eggman121

Quote from: Swordmaster on June 18, 2013, 05:29:03 PM
Sounds about right Eggman. While your project is not specific to the RRW, we should tune things so they are fully compatible. I'd be willing to help you out on T21'ing. It'll be a considerable job, though, given how. . . er. . . well, you'll see ;D

What would be beneficial as well is the IIDs for the Maxis and NAM rail textures. I spend half my time trying to find the correct IIDs and it can be frustrating at times :'(. Reading rul code and looking up s3d files can be quite time consuming...

Anyways I have corrected the overhead wires and poles (or whatever the are called) as shown below

Please speak now or forever hold your peace. In other words this will be the standard I will be making my models to so if there are any changes that are needed please tell me now or accept what I have Batted.
I am not changing models that could number in about 100s of 1000s when this project really gets underway.

-eggman121

art128

The new overhead line color is fantastic, eggman!

I only have one concern about this. What happens if you use another style of poles? For example for my Japanese regions I use Uki's HD Japanese catenaries props. If I put your mod as well as uki's, which poles will be ingame? Yours or Uki's?

I don't mind using your mod at all ( which I really will, I so much wanted that overhead line for a looong time now), but if I can use it as well as a better ( imo ) pack of poles, then that would be the best of the best. ;)

For your information, Uki's poles [link] are also spaced by two tiles, so just releasing the overhead line would assure complete compatibility methinks.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Girafe

Color of the wires in now good. But your poles are still a little bit too bright (above all pic. 2)

keep going the good work :)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

eggman121

Quote from: art128 on June 19, 2013, 02:43:12 AM
The new overhead line color is fantastic, eggman!

I only have one concern about this. What happens if you use another style of poles? For example for my Japanese regions I use Uki's HD Japanese catenaries props. If I put your mod as well as uki's, which poles will be ingame? Yours or Uki's?

I don't mind using your mod at all ( which I really will, I so much wanted that overhead line for a looong time now), but if I can use it as well as a better ( imo ) pack of poles, then that would be the best of the best. ;)

I based my poles on the Sunbury electrification project in Victoria since I use that Line a lot to go to Melbourne. I can include other pole types provided they are to specification. I have the wires zigzagging between 6.225m and 5.775m with a center of 6m from the edge of the tile. That Is what the center of the Track is for the DTR. Also the Height of the wire is 7m for the top wire where it meets the pole and 5.75m for the bottom wire.
If I had the original models I could make them to specification and Make multiple sets. If you could contact Uki and see if the original gmax files still exist than I could or he could make sets to the specifications above.

I will only be making one set at the moment but if Uki's set of models could be forwarded to me in gmax format that would make life easier for me to mod the poles you desire. That said I will be releasing the props when this mod gets off the ground, (its still early days yet) so people making transport enabled lot stations can include them.

Hope that helps

Quote from: Girafe on June 19, 2013, 02:56:45 AM
Color of the wires in now good. But your poles are still a little bit too bright (above all pic. 2)

keep going the good work :)

Thanks Girafe. Ill fix that soon.

-eggman 121

Earwhyckque

You used poles with both long and short arms? And you used them on both the left and right hand side in turns? Nice!

I really hope you find a way to deal with switches and turns, as most catenary mods fail to look good at these points. Good luck with your awesome project! (The wires look much better now!)

FrankU

These catenaries look gorgeous!
Maybe Girafe is right, but I can perfecly live with the models as they are now. Maybe it's important to make an overview in zoom 1 or 2: if the catenaries are too bright you indeed should dim them a bit.

eggman121

Quote from: Earwhyckque on June 19, 2013, 03:12:32 AM
You used poles with both long and short arms? And you used them on both the left and right hand side in turns? Nice!

I really hope you find a way to deal with switches and turns, as most catenary mods fail to look good at these points. Good luck with your awesome project! (The wires look much better now!)

1) The reason I did this was to zigzag the contact wire. This is so the wire does not act like a bandsaw on the pantograph and provides even wear.

2) Switches and bends will be tricky but I think I have a solution. Ill keep the community posted.

Quote from: FrankU on June 19, 2013, 03:20:56 AM
These catenaries look gorgeous!
Maybe Girafe is right, but I can perfecly live with the models as they are now. Maybe it's important to make an overview in zoom 1 or 2: if the catenaries are too bright you indeed should dim them a bit.
As mentioned above I will fix that now.

-eggman121

kassarc16

Great job, on all sides here!

Man, I'd like to see those overhead setups for Light Rail, since I don't use electric trains for heavy rail.

eggman121

Quote from: kassarc16 on June 19, 2013, 04:59:17 AM
Man, I'd like to see those overhead setups for Light Rail, since I don't use electric trains for heavy rail.

That will be my next task. It depends what you use it for. Do you use it for trams or for metro rail?

Anyways with Swordmaster's permission teaser time $%Grinno$%

-eggman121

FrankU

DJSun1981