• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankU

vortext

Oh, those switches are nice!  &apls

Can you already tell what else is in store, in terms of new functionality?
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Earwhyckque

Quote from: Swordmaster on June 23, 2013, 10:59:21 AM
Sidenote: if you're not following memo's explanation of IID conservation above, they consist of only 13 different tiles.

Although I don't know anything about modding or coding, these tiles seem intriguing to me. So please excuse me if I'm asking stupid questions, but would it be rewarding to find a solution for these kinds of problems:

This layout is something I could really use... Of course, it would change the layout and organisation of the tiles a lot, but could it also be turned something like this:

Is it worth the effort? Or isn't it even a problem at all ()what() I'm quite curious how these issues are handled, though I can imagine it is just a matter of extra tiles...

Anyway, good luck with this project! I'll keep an I on it! :)

metarvo

I'm afraid that setup wouldn't work.  The DTR is two-way (with each track going a different direction), much like standard Roads.  Trains would never be able to use the crossover you have there unless it crossed all four tracks.  Of course, it would require additional textures on top of all of that.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Indiana Joe

Yeah, think about the traffic directions.  You've got trains going onto the wrong track.

Earwhyckque

Al right, you would need at least one other switch to get the trains onto the right track... Those already exist though ;) Consider it a STR from one dual track to the other, or to another STR. I admit it would serve mainly a cosmetic purpose, but it's just something that would be useful.

EDIT: on the other hand, apparently something is already on its way ;)
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15529.msg462552#msg462552

Gugu3

Amazing switches Willy!!!just checked out in the noro cooperative...wonderful &apls

Swordmaster

Quote from: vortext on June 24, 2013, 02:58:24 PMCan you already tell what else is in store, in terms of new functionality?

Not really. It'll only manage to upset people when it ends up not being included. In the long term, anything that makes sense and is technically possible should find its way in.

Good thinking Earwhyckque, but due to the nature of DTR-STR switches you can't reuse the textures for this type of setup. So a few new textures will come into play for this (easy enough). It's a very basic line crossover so it's quite high priority. I had already done the double line crossover, which does reuse the tiles of the DTR-DTR switch.

As for what metarvo and IndianaJoe said, there's not really a "right" and "wrong" direction on a track like there is on a road. Often times tracks are signalled in both ways, and if not, traffic is allowed under well-defined circumstances to run against the normal direction. This is to allow half of a DTR line to be closed for track maintenance, or even to let one train overtake the other. In some areas trains need to run in the "wrong" direction for a while to get to a switch to branch off the main line. In game terms, it's easy enough to let trains make the switch if you put the DTR crossover piece immediately in front of this setup.

Cheers
Willy

Indiana Joe

Of course it would be feasible in real life. I was just saying that, in the game, it isn't pathed like that.  I guess it could be purely cosmetic.  But those full switches look nice!

Gugu3

Willy this project is intriguing!everytime you post a picture is a big surprise &aplsI'm living in London at the moment and I'm fascinated by the rail system they have here...It's been a few months now that I've been looking forward to building something similar in the game...and you're making thais possible ;D
a big thank you
cheers
Guglielmo

Swordmaster

@Indiana Joe, that's why you need the crossover piece like I said:

Cheers
Willy

Indiana Joe

I feel enlightened &idea I never understood exactly what those were for.  I just hardly ever use STR.

MTT9

I've been away lately but this is a great project! I was rather shocked by the colors choice but i'm starting to like it. Will certainly look great in my regions :)
You can call me Matt

Kitsune

Are X's finally going to be possible between two side by side dtr's?
~ NAM Team Member

Gugu3

So technically using a crossover piece it would be possible to have a DTR to 2 STR transition?Like the RHW2 to 2MIS puzzle piece?
cheers
Guglielmo

Shroud

This whole project is looking awesome. Keep up the great work.

Aaron Graham

Love what you have done with the paths, keep up the good work. :D
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Swordmaster

How close is too close?

Quote from: Kitsune on June 25, 2013, 03:17:30 PM
Are X's finally going to be possible between two side by side dtr's?

That's what you see in the picture, I think, unless I misunderstand what an "X" is.

Quote from: Gugu3 on June 26, 2013, 03:12:07 AMSo technically using a crossover piece it would be possible to have a DTR to 2 STR transition?Like the RHW2 to 2MIS puzzle piece?
cheers
Guglielmo

A DTR to 2xSTR splitter is certainly planned.

Quote from: Aaron Graham on June 26, 2013, 06:18:15 AM
Love what you have done with the paths, keep up the good work. :D

Thanks Aaron, but there's no new pathing in that picture. All standard NAM/RAM content there (except textures of course). I've yet to begin on pathing. Any volunteers? ;D

Cheers
Willy

RepublicMaster

That looks FAR better than the old textures. :P

Good luck with the pathing. :)

eggman121

Great Work Swordmaster :thumbsup:. I have had RL for a few days so it is great that this project is steaming along (no pun intended)

Alright back to the electrification

After several days of  &mmm:'( and :angrymore: I managed to get the diagonals to work. It was a tough job and this part of the project drove me insane but now we have diagonals.

They also slope conform

There is still a long way to go but one of the most trickiest parts is over.

-eggman121