• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simcoug

Quote from: Swordmaster on August 05, 2014, 02:02:22 PM
Not to worry folks - I'm still on this. Moreover, RRW-compatible railyards are still in the works, but TTR and QTR are a bit of a precursor to that (not to mention finishing STR and DTR).

Cheers
Willy

Thanks for making my day  :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

Quote from: isii94 on July 20, 2014, 01:14:04 PM
Quote from: eggman121 on July 19, 2014, 09:41:04 PM
Very nice work Isabella  :thumbsup: . I'm quite impressed that you have been able to dive into RUL2 code so quickly. The only suggestion I could make about the texture is that the rails should be at equidistant spacing at 4.5m from the centre of the track.

Since I'm making some catenaries for the RRW I would be delighted to make some poles and wires for your work once you have finalised the design.

I'm looking forward to seeing more. Keep it up, you are doing a  fantastic job.   $%Grinno$%

-eggman121

Thanks  :) (INRUL was actually harder to understand than RUL2...)

The distance between the central rails is in fact 4.5m. There are some reasons why I'd actually like to keep the distance between the fast and slow tracks greater than 4.5m:

• It will be easier to create switch textures as existing STR textures can be reused
  • There's enough space for signalling the fast tracks without automata cutting through the models
  • It looks less like a waste of space at the edge of the tile $%Grinno$%

I've given all this some thought and I tend to agree here. If we decide to go with a 2-tile network for QTR (my initial stance was a 1-tiler, but I'm coming around, too), this fast+slow track setup seems best. I think it's also the most realistic representation of a true QTR network, contrary to the one where two lines simply run parallel. Many DTR lines that are expanded later on to QTR employ this layout.

Then again, I'm with SA regarding "why not do both". I've always had an open-mind towards draggability of a number of variations to certain track setups--mostly minimal implementations without crosslinking. Ideally, I'd have flexible transitions between the mainline, siding, and railyard components of the network. In RL, these things don't begin or end in orderly fashion, as you will notice during a brief glance over Google earth.

I'll get back to this particular topic in some rather distant future.

Quote from: Indiana Joe on July 20, 2014, 02:31:56 PM
Just as an FYI, the quadruple track rail project (as well as TTR) has already been started as a part of the RealRailway mod by Willy (Swordmaster).  He's been away from development for several months, and it's hard to tell what's been done already been done and whatnot.

Well, nothing had been done on TTR or QTR except for these two previews.

Quote from: isii94 on July 22, 2014, 10:59:14 PM
I think I'll mostly stick to INRUL patterns as you just need textures and a few lines of code for them (and a lot of paper for drawing tiles and writing down flags, as well as a lot of gestures for all the rotations). There are of course a few exceptions like crossover switches that can't be drawn.
Does this sound weird for someone who has just started transit modding?

I hope you're using memo's tools to make the INRUL rotations automatically!

Cheers
Willy

thebagleboy

Firstly, everything is looking great. Good work on all the effort so far. &apls
I look forward to the release.

Any chance of an elevated RRW at some point, maybe 7.5m?

APSMS

Quote from: thebagleboy on August 08, 2014, 06:28:18 PM
<snip>
There's already a first release (the beta/alpha). However, may I amend thebagleboy's statement to say draggable viaducts?
I know better than to ask, but I couldn't help myself.  ;D

Nice work, Isabella. I seem to be slowly marching over to the two-tile camp as well, though as Willy said, some single-tile QTR would be really nice, too.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

compdude787

Quote from: APSMS on August 09, 2014, 12:40:06 AM
Nice work, Isabella. I seem to be slowly marching over to the two-tile camp as well, though as Willy said, some single-tile QTR would be really nice, too.

QTR would make more sense to do as a single-tile setup because you can already do dual-tile quad-track rail by just dragging out two parallel lines of DTR.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

isii94

I'd actually like to have some single tile stuff, too. However, I'd use this only for short stretches like sidings or stations with rails for overtaking. This means most of that would be better represented as lot textures and some cosmetic pieces.

Quote from: compdude787 on August 09, 2014, 09:04:26 AMQTR would make more sense to do as a single-tile setup because you can already do dual-tile quad-track rail by just dragging out two parallel lines of DTR.

So why don't you just drag two adjacent stretches of RHW 2 when you want to have 4 lanes?
From what I've seen so far, there are basically two types of QTR. You can either have up-up-down-down or up-down-up-down, like RHW 4 or 2xRHW 2. For the up-down-up-down you can indeed use two parallel DTR lines (or even swap one with GHSR), but for up-up-down-down a new type of override network is required.
MD coming soon...

compdude787

Quote from: isii94 on August 09, 2014, 09:27:09 AM
I'd actually like to have some single tile stuff, too. However, I'd use this only for short stretches like sidings or stations with rails for overtaking. This means most of that would be better represented as lot textures and some cosmetic pieces.

Quote from: compdude787 on August 09, 2014, 09:04:26 AMQTR would make more sense to do as a single-tile setup because you can already do dual-tile quad-track rail by just dragging out two parallel lines of DTR.

So why don't you just drag two adjacent stretches of RHW 2 when you want to have 4 lanes?
From what I've seen so far, there are basically two types of QTR. You can either have up-up-down-down or up-down-up-down, like RHW 4 or 2xRHW 2. For the up-down-up-down you can indeed use two parallel DTR lines (or even swap one with GHSR), but for up-up-down-down a new type of override network is required.

Oh, I see. I thought that QTR was essentially just a visual enhancement; I didn't realize it was the rail version of RHW-4 in terms of pathing.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

thebagleboy

<snip>
There's already a first release (the beta/alpha).
There is? I didn't know that.
Thankyou  ;D

Swordmaster

Who gets it?

(Intentionally disabled the grid ;D)

Cheers
Willy

vester

Quote from: thebagleboy on August 15, 2014, 10:21:52 PM
<snip>
There's already a first release (the beta/alpha).
There is? I didn't know that.
Thankyou  ;D

We are working on the last missing pieces for the 15 meters:

EDIT: Replaced the link with an image.

Korot

Vester, you're linking to a private board.

Willy, I think at least one of them is FARR, right?

cmdp123789

mgb204

Will there be a way to get from one track to another on the next tile over with the Viaduct-RRW? Because I have some Viaduct-Rail stations with more than one set of tracks, and if I can't run the lines next to each other, the station is basically useless.

Simcoug

Quote from: Swordmaster
Who gets it?

That looks like an ortho to diag with some FAR helping in the transition...
At least that is my guess... but in any case it looks smooth-a-licious  :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

No Matt, this is the ortho to diag :P

Maybe you should compare this with a puzzle piece (top is the familiar 90° curve PP, bottom is. . . something else ;D):

Quote from: mgb204 on August 25, 2014, 05:44:37 AM
Will there be a way to get from one track to another on the next tile over with the Viaduct-RRW? Because I have some Viaduct-Rail stations with more than one set of tracks, and if I can't run the lines next to each other, the station is basically useless.

I'll be able to answer this hopefully in the near future.

Cheers
Willy

Korot

So you somehow managed to get the curve created by placing two ortho-diag transitions next to each other a lot smoother? Awesome!

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Korot on August 27, 2014, 11:20:29 AM
So you somehow managed to get the curve created by placing two ortho-diag transitions next to each other a lot smoother? Awesome!

Are you sure it's just two 45-deg curves conjoined to each other and not more things conjoined? $%Grinno$%
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Jack_wilds

so clever in your executions  %confuso that it is difficult to put the finger on that 'new thingy' U did...  ???

such a tease  ()stsfd() ::)

my stab at the 90* bends are they are one piece and terrain friendly...  :)

woodb3kmaster

It looks to me like a 90° curve made of ortho-to-FAR-3 curves and FAR-3-to-diagonal curves, although it looks so much smoother than any 90° curve I've ever been able to build with those PPs. That implies that the PP Willy showed earlier on this page is a new version of the ortho-to-FAR-3 piece.

Whether I'm right or wrong, it all looks amazing! Great work, Willy, and it's great to see you back in action! :D

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

GDO29Anagram

I'm gonna throw things off, but what's a puzzle piece?

(Also testing my new tablet.) :P
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums