• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Quote from: art128 on February 23, 2016, 09:36:06 AM
This is really cool. Hope it'll be compatible with the different overpass mods. :)

Probably not, due to the way they work, new S3D models would have to be made. Some details are T21'd, those would work if re-ID'd/rotated to match the new piece IDs.

I am toying with updating the Draggable Overpasses with the Jap NAM Facelift models. It's little more than an ID/rotation change. While the Puzzle pieces still exist, I quite like having two styles to select between so I'm not sure about this.

dyoungyn

Willy,

While I and probably like other fans so appreciate all the hard work you and the NAM Team are doing which we you all are so gracious to provide and do.  Not to be nit picky or selfish, the neighbor connection with Rail Viaduct and Elevated Rail appear to work differently.  Attached without the paths as I cannot get them to work, show the arrow is in different positions. 

Finally, Attached is also a wish item for a connector piece to go from Maxis Elevated Rail to Rail Viaduct.

dyoungyn

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 23, 2016, 11:16:38 AM
Sorry dyoungyn, forgot to reply to you (not the first time I think :D)

Quote from: dyoungyn on February 22, 2016, 02:28:30 PMWOW, absolutely WOW ;D  If this is possible that could it be possible to make a neighbor connection like with Maxis Elevated Rails.  I know there is work around, but to me it is just not the same as a traditional connection.  Finally, what about a connection piece from Rail Viaduct to Maxis Elevated Rail?

Neighbor connections work fine with ERRW as is. No need for any workaround pieces or tricks.

Quote from: art128 on February 23, 2016, 09:36:06 AMThis is really cool. Hope it'll be compatible with the different overpass mods. :)

Which overpass mods exactly? If you mean the alternative viaduct textures, they're compatible (as I've shown so far). If you mean anything else, I'm afraid. . .

michae95l, welcome to the forum!

Cheers
Willy

jessilaurn

dyoungyn,

Viaduct Rail is part of the heavy rail system; it can handle freight as well as passenger trains.

Elevated Rail is part of the light rail system (along with GLR and Subway); it handles light rail passenger trains, but not freight.

As such, connecting the two systems is generally a bad idea (particularly as you can wind up with such things as the wrong automata on the wrong system).

- Jess

APSMS

dyoungyn, it may be worth noting that the placement of the arrow has nothing to do with whether or not the paths work. GLR also has this problem: the arrow for the NC is 15m above the tracks, but this is because the El rail NC arrows are designed for that network, and thus rest 15m in the air.

Similarly, all RHW arrows always point outwards, because the game sees the RHW as a bunch of adjacent Dirt roads, whose NCs would behave similar to RD-2, thus the arrows always face out (as opposed to MHW or the default Avenue network, with one arrow out and another in).

Does traffic not use the workaround connection, even if you force it?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

dyoungyn

Thank you all for the replies.  I use more the Viaduct Rail for light rail as with the Maxis Elevated Rail to transport commuters.  If the arrows react the same way no matter the location of the arrow, then I guess it is appropriate. 

Another reason I like the Maxis Elevated Rail as it is more stable when plopping Stations.  I do not however, like the high transitions, curves and such as I love the Viaduct Rail and what it provides. 

Finally, it is much easier to drag Elevated Rail across a river.  One must truly decide the pros and cons to both I guess.  The only reason I have been wanting that transition from both is because of the feasibility of both networks. 

dyoungyn

Tarkus

Keep in mind that a lot of the currently cited reasons for ease of use of El-Rail are in part because there aren't Draggable Rail Viaducts yet.  The NAM Team considers them to be two separate traffic types, and I don't expect that transition to be made.

-Alex

Jack_wilds

Swordmaster

Indeed, what Alex said. I've seen trams trying to compete with freight trains. They never win. $%Grinno$%

Been keeping myself busy tonight with some more crossing stuff. Textures are placeholders--I need to touch them up a little more.

If I'm correct, later this year it'll be the NWM's 10th birthday :bnn:

Don't get me started on how to do stop lines and crossing props on these. . .

What's more, I've generated a new 128,000 line STR code base. You can expect a serious upgrade to the network's crosslinking possibilities. . .

(Not fully stable yet, apparently. Think I can sneak in some more lines :D)

Cheers
Willy

dyoungyn

WOW!!!!!  This game just keeps getting better and better.  PLEASE keep the game alive and well for years to come.  Great job and can't wait for some more.

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

vinlabsc3k

My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

yann

How to make switch like that ?

Thanks in advance

schokoladeneis 1

Quote from: yann on February 27, 2016, 05:27:50 AM
How to make switch like that ?

Thanks in advance

@yann I think it's a feature of the next NAM (34). Watch this Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXinZJTQle4

----

I have a question too. Is it possible to remove or change the sand/dirt texture under rails if they're next to developements? thank you!

Tarkus

Quote from: schokoladeneis 1 on February 27, 2016, 09:14:07 AM
@yann I think it's a feature of the next NAM (34). Watch this Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXinZJTQle4

NAM 34 is already out, and has been since December.  The FlexTrack functionality, while originally planned for NAM 34, was actually added in NAM 33, as it was finished while there were delays with other components that needed to be addressed. 

The one piece of our documentation that actually is updated is the RRW FlexTrack guide, which shows how to build that those switches.

I have a question too. Is it possible to remove or change the sand/dirt texture under rails if they're next to developements? thank you!

As I recall, the dirt on Rails is the same dirt you see on Road networks in Agriculture zones, so if you changed it, it'd affect both.  Removing it altogether wouldn't be possible without changing the entire network into a model-based setup.

-Alex

APSMS

Quote from: Tarkus on February 27, 2016, 02:14:55 PM

As I recall, the dirt on Rails is the same dirt you see on Road networks in Agriculture zones, so if you changed it, it'd affect both.  Removing it altogether wouldn't be possible without changing the entire network into a model-based setup.

-Alex
I was under the impression that RRW is already model-based.

At any rate, The RUM for RRW is probably what you need; I use it and there is an option for no dirt under rails next to developments/zoning.

mgb204

The bulk of RRW is model based, but a number of parts like crossings are not.

Indeed RUM for RRW has a transparent base to fix this. The farming/rail dirt is basically the 4th sidewalk type after $, $$ and $$$. As such it's possible to replace the sidewalk texture with a transparent one, but it will indeed do the same for zoning next to farms.

yann

Quote from: Tarkus on February 27, 2016, 02:14:55 PM

NAM 34 is already out, and has been since December.  The FlexTrack functionality, while originally planned for NAM 34, was actually added in NAM 33, as it was finished while there were delays with other components that needed to be addressed. 

The one piece of our documentation that actually is updated is the RRW FlexTrack guide, which shows how to build that those switches.

-Alex

Hello, thanks you for the link !

This is awesome for update railway system of all city of Rosewood region !

Thanks a lot !

Yann

Gugu3

TMT

Quick question about this image;

What's the trick to get the arrow for the neighbourhood connection by itself to appear for railways? There are ways to get it for streets, avenues & highway(thanks to this thread; http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7350.0) but none of those same steps seem to work or are compatible for railroads.

APSMS

Hi TMT,

There is no trick.

Rail will automatically make neighbor connections by dragging to the edge of the tile, and accepting the prompt for a new neighbor connection.

The arrow is there because it's placed by the game, and the game views Heavy Rail as a non-elevated network. (GLR, on the other hand, has a 15.5m elevated arrow, because the base network of EL-Rail is raised that high, and as far as the game is concerned, GLR and El-Rail are identical).

The picture in question shows draggable Elevated Heavy Rail, which is currently under development and not available to the public.

You can achieve the same effect by dragging Ground Heavy Rail (the default network drawn with the Rail Tool) and making the neighbor connection where you need it, and then simply plopping the current Elevated Heavy Rail Puzzle Pieces over the track, up to the city border. The neighbor connection will continue to function, and now visually your E-Rail continues into the neighboring city.