• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

sim-al2's Lot Tower

Started by sim-al2, September 19, 2008, 01:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sim-al2

This thread is where I will begin learning how to become a decent LOTTER. I will try to update tonight, and if I ever become good enough, maybe I can LOT for other Batters. &idea
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

nerdly_dood

I haven't uploaded much, but i do have some lotting experience, and i can give a few pointers when asked. ;) i can give myself one right now: Add more props to future lots that i intend to release. So anyway, add lots of props, and do your best to use prop families instead of individual props. If you can or can't find a suitable prop family use a large variety of props.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

sim-al2

I'm pretty good with prop families. I download Granpa Al's mod to show the names, but they can still be a little cryptic. I think I start with a small office building and try my hand.
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

Fatsuhono

I can't wait to see your new lots Sim-Al!

art128

indeed , I can't wait to see your lots too  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

sim-al2

If I wanted to make a nuclear power plant with the LE, what kind of lot should I use? I tried with the default but it wouldnt't work right!
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

BarbyW

What do you mean
QuoteI tried with the default but it wouldnt't work right!
?
You can start from the default but you will need a suitable building to replace and then you will have to Save As giving it a new name.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

sim-al2

Sorry, I had no time. I was afraid I was vague. The problem I can't even replace the building, and when I just saved it, the file had no exemplars besides those of the lot config!  :angrymore:
Is there a way to make another kind of power plant that isn't a reward in to a nuke? I tried starting off some other ones like cogeo's set but they must have commercial jobs because I couldn't expand larger than 6x6. In case you're wondering. I'm trying to make one like Badsim's on page three, although I don't want it exactly like it.
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

RippleJet

Quote from: sim-al2 on October 06, 2008, 04:16:39 PM
Sorry, I had no time. I was afraid I was vague. The problem I can't even replace the building, and when I just saved it, the file had no exemplars besides those of the lot config!

Yes, that's what happens if you "save" a reward building.
And you cannot "save as" if the building is an in-game reward.

"Saving" a reward building just creates a new lot that replaces the ingame lot.
However, the building exemplar used is still the same reward building that Maxis made.
Thus, neither the building exemplar, nor the reward script is included in the SC4Lot file.

Quote from: sim-al2 on October 06, 2008, 04:16:39 PM
Is there a way to make another kind of power plant that isn't a reward in to a nuke?

Yes, the simple way is to use PIM-X... $%Grinno$%

Send me your model file in a mail and I'll make a functional nuclear power plant out of it.
Just tell me the size of the lot you want it to sit on.

sim-al2

Quote from: RippleJet on October 06, 2008, 04:30:34 PM
Send me your model file in a mail and I'll make a functional nuclear power plant out of it.
Just tell me the size of the lot you want it to sit on.

I'm going to use the default. :D
I also want to make my own lot. It just depends on me having a situable lot to do it on. Can you make versions with the stat for having one and having two default reactors?
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

RippleJet

Quote from: sim-al2 on October 06, 2008, 04:44:15 PM
I'm going to use the default. :D
I also want to make my own lot. It just depends on me having a situable lot to do it on. Can you make versions with the stat for having one and having two default reactors?

Enclosed is a simple 4×4 lot with the in-game Nuclear Plant.
The stats are pretty much the same as well.

Now you should be able to "save" it, as well as "save as" in LE.
Thus, if you want a bigger lot with two plants, you can do it yourself.
Just double the property values in that case... ;)

sim-al2

Thank You RJ! That ingame-reward structure is truly evil! I know I will become it's master eventually, but until then....   ???

UPDATE 10-14-08: Update coming on that nuclear power plant. I think it looks good, but I hit a roadblock.

Here's my pretty plant. However...

It doesn't produce power!? :(

And I also get this...

and this...

However, if I attach it to another (functional) power plant...

Conclusion: I suck at modding. Out loud. :-[ Of course, this is my first serious attempt, so at least it didn't cost 67^49 Simolens!  ::)
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

RippleJet

Quote from: sim-al2 on October 14, 2008, 11:57:26 AM
Conclusion: I suck at modding. Out loud. :-[ Of course, this is my first serious attempt, so at least it didn't cost 67^49 Simolens!  ::)

Did you change something in Reader, or did it not work when you got it from me? ::)

I'd like to take a look at your lot as it is now, and see if I could spot something.
If the errors stems from PIM-X, then I definitely want to know what's wrong...

Btw, the plant looks great! :thumbsup:

sim-al2

Quote from: RippleJet on October 14, 2008, 02:40:47 PM
Did you change something in Reader, or did it not work when you got it from me? ::)

I tried to change in the LEPROP, than the reader, than TE'ed in SC4Tool. I guarantee you I did something wrong.

I'd like to take a look at your lot as it is now, and see if I could spot something.
I can email it or attach it in a few minutes(I hope)I have to warn you though, it has too many dependencies to be released! Unusual ones too.  ???
(well, the CSX farm fields may have more. I would get killed if I put it on ST though) &hlp

QuoteBtw, the plant looks great! :thumbsup:
Thanks! ;D
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

sim-al2

Sorry again. RL knows no boundries. Below I have attached the lot you asked for, (PLOP_Large_CustomNuclear_TwoReactor_d5fa6038.SC4Lot) and one extra that I was working on that will be a single reactor plant. Could you show me how to mod them into basic power plants?
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

RippleJet

Quote from: sim-al2 on October 18, 2008, 01:55:55 PM
Could you show me how to mod them into basic power plants?

I think I'll let you wait till PIM-X is available and everybody can make functional nucelar plants. ;)

The larger one was at least lacking the Budget Item properties though.
There were some other extra properties as well, which I removed and then I just recomputed them in PIM-X
(where they were both still showing as Nuclear Plants, which means there was nothing exceptionally wrong).

I tested them in game, and they both produce power. They're enlcosed to this post. :thumbsup:

PS.
I renamed the filename for the large one to include the lot size, and removed a UVNK reference from the smaller one.

Pat

sim-al that is a stunning power plant there!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sim-al2

Quote from: RippleJet on October 18, 2008, 02:33:17 PM
I think I'll let you wait till PIM-X is available and everybody can make functional nucelar plants. ;)

Uhhh...    what about till then? Haven't heard much on that front in a while. I assume their going to do a NAM-thing on us?

The larger one was at least lacking the Budget Item properties though.
oopps! ()testing()

There were some other extra properties as well, which I removed and then I just recomputed them in PIM-X
(where they were both still showing as Nuclear Plants, which means there was nothing exceptionally wrong).

I tested them in game, and they both produce power.

That's good to know. What extra properties though? I thought the health increasing was not right, but I didn't know about the others. ()what()
QuoteI renamed the filename for the large one to include the lot size, and removed a UVNK reference from the smaller one.
What the heck is UVNK reference? You know I never modded the smaller one. I guess I should have told you that earlier. ::) I still interested in what you did though. ;)

And thank you for helping me, considering my lack of knowledge in the modding department. I was hoping by learning to mod power plants, I could at least mod other kinds of utilities.
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

sithlrd98

sim-al2 , that truly is a nice plant you've got!

Jayson