• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show Us Your . . . Road Signs

Started by Ryan B., July 28, 2011, 10:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan B.

Yeah, like I was going to start up a topic that was anything different?

I'll start:

My latest, starting up SC4DOT's New York State Thruway project (once again)!

Swordmaster

Mmm, road signs...  ;D

I'd love it if someone would comment on the color scheme/layout/whatever.

MandelSoft

You want comments on your road signs? Well, here you got one! ;)
- What font do you use? This doesn't look like a common sign font and might be not readable enough from a distance. I would recommend Highway Gothic, SNV, Clearview or DIN1451 Mittelschrift here.
- The proportions of some things are off. The exit numbers are HUGE, while the number in front of the distances are too small.
- I don't like the yellow hue you use here. Try a more orange-ish yellow.
- Maybe you can divide your sign in three parts? Just sayin'

Other than that, I've seen worse. The alignment is OK and the rest of the color selection is well chosen.

OK, my turn! The evolution of the signage of my fictional country Schellingen (click to enlarge:

1958:

1971:

1979:

1992:

2008:

NOTES:
- Cities are written in a white typeface with a blue (or green) background. Local destonations (such as city quarters, suburbs, stations, etc.) are written in a black typeface with a white background. Tourist attractions are written in a white typeface with a brown background.
- Since 1992, all destonations leading to freeways from the underlying road network are signaged on a green background.
- Broken lines surrounding a routeshield means "to route ..."
- Signs constructed before 1979 use exterior lighting at night; signs constructed between 1979 and 1992 use interior lighting and signs constructed after 1992 use Diamond Grade reflective foil.
- A-routes (Autobahnen) are freeways and B-routes (Bundesstrassen) are national non-freeway routes (although the ones with a blue shield are expressways, which is a lower class than a freeway, but higher then every other road). C-routes are part of a larger long-distance route network across the continent of Borealia.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Swordmaster

Thanks for commenting, Maarten! I've read your reply a couple of times. Seeing that you're clearly the better sign maker, I figured I'd better listen.  :)

- The thing with that font is that it was a bit more unique than the average sign font. With each change towards the standard, it more and more resembles common American signage. But maybe I should compromise after all. I found something called Roadgeek, trying that now.
- The yellow seems to be a result of jpg conversion. It's actually supposed to be gold.

I made a new version with your suggestions (png format this time):

MandelSoft

riiga

Swordmaster: Nice road signs! I really like the colour of them.  :)

Maarten: Awesome work! You've inspired me to make my own "evolution of signs", though I'll have to come up with the earliest signs first.  :P

First some new/old hybrid style Swedish signs:

(Plain direction sign)

(Overhead sign for avenue with left turn lane)

RL-based stack sign:

Now, here's an interesting one. It's an American-Swedish hybrid, using European style pictograms, but retains some of the typical American conventions, such as signing North/South, etc.

Comments are welcome!  ;)

MandelSoft

Swedish signage goes dutch!  $%Grinno$%

Best,
Maarten

riiga

I like those signs Maarten! They could very well be real...  :thumbsup:

MandelSoft

Just to compare: I have pictures of the original signs (click to enlarge):

This one is from the old Dutch Freeway signage. These signs have arrows pointing down and are usually more filled up with local destonations.

These signs are from the new NBA (Nieuwe Bewegwijzering Autosnelwegen) series.

Personally I don't really like the Swedish signage. The font can be better and the use of ALL CAPS is not that nice. But I've seen much worse...

And to make another comparison: here's how they look like in Schellingen-style (BWN2008):

EDIT: I just spotted that on one of the signs the freeway road number says "A 10" , while this should be "A 12"...

Best,
Maarten

j-dub

Dalek York Park? That gets a highway sign, and Torchwood don't?

RickD

Ah, there is some serious road sign geekery going on here. I approve.  :satisfied:
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

riiga

Quote from: j-dub on October 03, 2011, 08:59:44 PM
Dalek York Park? That gets a highway sign, and Torchwood don't?
They were just used as an example. I can put other weird destinations as well.   :P
Oh, and the destination is just "Dalek" and "York Park", Dalek in this case being a city/township/etc and York Park a locality.

kbieniu7

Maarten plays the role of expert  :D Great work!
Very interesting idea, of coupling two styles, riiga!

I wanted to show something too, but I've lost somewhere photos anc signs' sketches  &mmm
I've found just one sign, from the crossing of two national roads.

Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

j-dub

riiga

metarvo

They've really redesigned that sign since the last time I went through that interchange, haven't they?  I'll have to go check it out sometime.  $%Grinno$%
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Ryan B.

CahosRahneVeloza

Alright, time to make fun of my country's silly signages  ;D

English Translation: (Starting from the top most one) Pedestrians are not allowed ON the road, use the sidewalk instead.
                           No Pedestrians allowed.
                           No unloading of passengers allowed

English Translation: Peeing is not allowed here.

Yet another no jaywalking sign, this one reads "Do not cross or die".

Kind of confusing but what it's generally saying is that yellow lanes are Bus HOV lanes & no other form of public transport is allowed on them.

j-dub

WHAT!? how?

Oh well.

rikkeflik

Highway Roadsigns in Herbia (near exits/interchanges).
Based on Belgian roadsigns.