• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Atlantica-Nation of Dreams

Started by crushedcar, February 08, 2007, 05:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercintn

Been just a little while since I could get here,  so I got a great read.  This story is getting better and better.   %confuso (not confused, just holding up a lighter for more.)
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

crushedcar

Replies

dedgren Thank you!
Rayden Thank you!
petercintn Thank you! That smily looks more scared than anything.

My Apologies to the citizens of Denver. This has nothing to do with you.  :)

Run and Gun

It was going to take me till dusk to get to Denver. First came the obligatory "choose your backup" session. Next I had to arrange these people. Then we had to go to the armory to pick out weapons. And finally, we had to walk 5 miles to the nearest available teleportation station.
Denver had once been known as the "Great City of the Northwest Range." Now, it would be lucky to get that title in the middle of Plakise, Atlanica's farming region. The city was crime infested, dirty, and rundown; although downtown was still sparkling clean. That was the best place to stay, or so we thought. It seems that in the ten years since I have been to Denver the city had grown hostile to strangers. Still I managed to get rooms at the Fullmer Hotel.

The target was Yavin Industries. The reason was simple, they were the only company capable of all the recent events. Blowing up a mountain was childs play for them.
At midnight, we got out of the hotel and carried the bomb over to the building. Then it was up to the 23rd floor hangar to set the bomb. Personally, why there was a hangar on this level is beeyond me. Anyway, as we were setting the bomb I heard a movement behind me. I reached for my Laser Sword. "Put that down Hunter. You don't want to make me angry."
I whipped around to see a lone figure. He had a Laser Sword as well. "And just who do you think you are?" I retorted.
"Your worst enemy," said the figure. He stepped into the light. It was Jonag.
"Hold your fire. I'll handle this." I said to the troops. Then I leaned over and whispered, "Set the bomb as fast as possible."
"You want to challenge me. OK, come on. I'm not scared of you," I yelled.
"I may not scare you but they may," was his reply. Suddenly hundreds of troops fell from the sky.
"Defend the bomb! Leave Jonag to me."
"You can't fight a whole city. This is just the tip of the iceberg, Hunter! Just the tip of the iceberg." He zipped up and disappeared.
"Bomb is armed, Sir," one of the captains screamed.
"Run to the elevators," I shouted. I grabbed the detonator and ran for the end of the hangar. "5,4,3,2,1, Detonation sequence started."
BOOOMMM!

I jetted down to the ground and met up with the troops. We conferred for a couple of minutes.
"He said the whole city. How can we fight that?" one of the soldiers asked.
"What if the whole city were bombed." said another.
"We only had one bomb," said one commander.
"I know where we can find some," I said.

We raided the building, taking every weapon we could lay our hand on.
"It looks like a war factory," some one commented.
"Certainly does."
"That's because it is," Jonag smirked.
I grabbed my Laser Sword and prepared to fight. "Fire at will men."
Jonag was not deterred. He just shot a rocket into the stockpile. A fire started roaring.
"Never could bring yourself to kill me, Jonag."
"You don't deserve it." He left the building via the roof.
"Grab any bombs you can. Get out when you can't hold any more."
It was a long night as we bombed every building in downtown. First the eastside,

then the westside,

and then we got out of town.
The next few days looked grim. If Denver had fallen who was to say that they didn't have any other cities under their control. Or even worse, a whole planet.

...to be continued

crushedcar

Time Bomb

After destroying Denver, we raced home. When I got to the office I was dead tired. I decided I'd better check my email. I waited for my computer to boot up by taking a look at the latest news. I had had better days. Everything was so slow. I figured it was because of the repairs being made to the Atlantis Supercomputer. The news was the first thing to load.

I wrote down some things I would have to look up later. The article on the animal attacks really bothered me. I was to tired to try figure out why, though. Finally, my email loaded. I had only 1 new message. It was from the GA and was labeled "Urgent."

Great, it took us two days to get to P62B. This meant I was probably going to be late. I called the Atlantis Space Port.
"Hello, this President Hunter. I need a spacecraft to P62B by noon."
"Sorry, Sir. Only one is at the dock and its a military vessel."
"I don't care. Just get the crew ready."
"Sir, we only have one available pilot. He is supposed to go out to Portland tonight."
"Tell him he has been reassigned."
"Yes, Sir."
I hung up and drove over to the space port. When I got there, I was informed that departure would commence as soon as I boarded. I quickly got aboard the monster and we took off.

I tried to catch up on sleep that afternoon, but I would only wake up after a few minutes. If I fell asleep at all my mind would show disturbing images I had seen during my days in the Space Academy during the Galactic Civil War. I could see the final battle and yet somehow it was in Atlantica.
By the time P62B came into sight I was fully rested. I knew I would need it for this meeting. I also knew that we would be landing outside of Coppertown at sunset. For once we would actually be on time to the meeting.

Landing was smooth and I was on my way to the Galactic Alliance Senate Building. Emergency meetings were always interesting, and I had no idea of what I should expect. Tomorrow would be one of the most important meetings of the Galactic Alliance. The fate of the galaxy may very well rest on what happens in that meeting.

...to be continued

threestooges

Great story, especially with the tangets offered by the newspaper articles. The lizard thing is particularly interesting (I find it interesting that it appears to instigate the attacks, yet only bites in the lower part of the body... this seems to suggest that it is not interested in killing...but what then?). You have a pretty good style for story telling: you are able to get into the first person view in the story and yet the news articles are enough to bring it out to the perspective of a bystander. There is enough information in the stories to give a sense of a greater world outside the story which aids in the realism. I will certainly be back for more.

Cali

"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

emilin

A lot of really cool stuff going on´wiht the story. And I also like what you did with the Burj Dubai in the former update. :thumbsup:

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

crushedcar

Replies

threestooges Thank you. I can't tell you much about the references I make in the newspapers because that would ruin the story.
Cali Thank you.
emilin Thank you.

The Worst is Yet to Come

The morning of the meeting was very sunny. If you had been on exploration vessel for the last two weeks, you would have guessed nothing was wrong. I wish I had been that kind of person. It wasn't that the housing was bad, just the fact that I was up all night running the last 2 weeks through my head. Finally, at 6 o'clock I decided to go for a walk. I got ready for the day and left the building.

I stopped in the John H.Arthur Memorial Museum. I just sat on the step and began to contemplate for the first time what this was all about. I was stressed out beyond belief. It was then that I saw an old friend coming my way. When he got there we decided to go into the museum.

"Long time, no see, he quipped.
"Same here Peter. How's it been?"
"Not good. I would have told you sooner, but I have been on the run for the last couple of weeks."
"Well, so have I. In fact-"
"Shhhh... I have information I have to share with you."
"Proceed."
"Not here. We need to go somewhere safe."
We decided to head over to Central Plaza. It wouldn't be crowded now, but no one would take anything we said seriously because everyone here talked about government conspiracies. Whatever Peter had to say wouldn't attract any attention.

Peter started his story.
"The recent war is related to Terra's lack of communication. The whole planets been taken over by terrorists in the last month. They were conspiring to attack Atlantica. Something about 'The Great Treasure of the Four Races.' They chased around the galaxy for weeks. They have allies such as the Kop'an and Ho'tau. I believe that this war is over that treasure."
I interrupted, "If the Kop'an and Ho'tau are involved it is."
"Yes, anyway. I tried to contact the Dugan. It seems that they've been wiped out by this alliance. They're operating behind the GLF/COP alliance staging attacks at sporting events, threatening to blow up large buildings, etc. It's only a matter of time before they attack Atlantica."
I stood silent. In the years I had spent in the Space Force I had studied the history of the Stargate program. The implications of this were unfathomable.
I glanced at my watch. I had to get to the meeting soon. I told him we should meet up on the return trip. Then it was off to the meeting.

The meeting had just started when I got a message from my security adviser. I got up to look at it. It was a voicemail.
"Ten minutes ago Atlantica's Intelligence Satellites caught this photo."

"The vessel does not have a proper validation code. It is thought to be hostile." I flipped the message off and ran to the GA-Armed Forces Headquarters.

I told them about the situation and they promised to send the necessary troops. I then boarded A450 I had taken here. Peter was aboard and told me what he knew. I was panicked. Was I going to be to late? How could I get to Atlantica now? A million questions raced through my mind. I knew the worst was yet to come.

...to be continued

GMT

intersting story.
nicely done newspaper!

waiting for more

... really, it is. I swear.

Heinz

wow, pal. this is great stuff!  :thumbsup: interesting how you can tell a tale and put up an image to show what or where it's happening. very gripping stuff. would love to follow this from now on. see you around

crushedcar

Replies
GMT-Thank you!
Heinz-Thank you! Glad to see a new reader.

Preparing For Impact

"Incoming message," reported my communications system operator.
"Put it on speaker," I replied.
"Atlantica Military Control to Hunter. The mothership is attempting to land. Requesting permission to fire defense sattelites."

"Permission granted." I turned to my communications operator, "Put us on video feed from defense sattelite 4B6N."
AMC radioed again, "Prepared to fire sattelites. Beginning the countdown. 3...2...1...Fire!!"

"That's a direct hit. Good work."
Suddenly I heard static over the sattelite video feed. Then I heard two distinctive Ho'tau voices.
"It's going to blow."
"What? No it can't. Were the shields....."

Shortly thereafter Peter came over. "That was the right decision. The Ho'tau would have tried to enslave Atlantica."
I looked at him, "I know." Then I turned to my computer. What would they want in Atlantica? It definitely was not a strategic spot to launch an offensive on the Milky Way. That's when I rememberred what Peter had said on P62B. I started a search for this treasure that he had said this was all about.

"Figures," I said to myself.
Peter came over, "The message is in ancient Jea'tel. I can't translate it very well, but it seems to say '6.7 North and 5.6 East. He who searches for the treasure must show incredible courage, determination, faith, and patience. Life is only what we make it. What will yours be?'"
"That last part doesn't make sense. How does that help us find a treasure?"
"Like I said that's a very rough translation. I can't be sure-"
He was interrupted by an announcement coming over the PA."Our scout vessels have detected a large force of ships heading for Atlantica. Sending you the report now."

"What do we have to fight them with?"
"Well, we do have the ASF. Some group called the Star League will send ships, too."
"What does the ASF look like?"
"Sending you that report now."

I said, "Ok. Tell the Star League any and all support would be appreciated."
"The Star League is online right now."
"Hello and greetings from the Star League. We would like to invite you to join our alliance. In return we will provide support in your situation."
I glanced at my watch and sighed. "Who is in this league?"
"The Star League contains nations concerned about Intergalactic safety."
I decided it would be best to join. The worst thing that could happen is Atlantica would be dismissed from the Galactic Alliance. "You can add Atlantica to your list of nations."
"Sir, we are about to drop out of hyperspace." said the navigator.
"Why?"
"There seems to be an enemy fleet massing here. Also we just got word from the ASFSS Hunter that they are here."
"Are we ready for battle?"
"Yes."
We dropped out of hyperspace and prepared for the imminent battle.

...to be continued

crushedcar

Chaosgate-Part 1

"Hold, your fire. We want a surprise attack if at all possible," was the command I gave over the PA.
"Sir, they are engaging shields and weapons," said the Sensor Relay Operator.
"Open fire on the motherships. Deploy all available fighters and bombers."
I told the pilot to steer towards the Ho'tau mothership at max speed.
"We are in range," shouted the Weapons System Operator. Firing nano-atom rockets in 3...2...1..."

"Good shot." It had seemed to easy. Something had to be up.
"Sir, we have located a stargate in the vicinity. It seems to be active," said the SRO.
"Take it out," Peter shouted.
"We can't there is a shield protecting it."
"They're using it to mass a fleet to attack us," barked one of the captains.
"What is the status of that fleet?" I questioned.
My SRO replied, "It's at five ships and growing."

"Cruisers 001 through 500 attack the ships coming through the stargate," I ordered.
"Sir, there are too many of them we can't do it alone," yelled a captain.
The SRO declared, "The entrenched fleet has been eliminated."
"All ships attack the fleet coming through the gate."

"They are coming through too quickly. I can't--" The communication was interrupted. I saw a bright flash and then some bombers. "All fighter units attack their bombers."
"Gold unit has destroyed the bomber, Sir."

"Good. What of their fighters?"
"Our cruisers have neutralized a large number of them," said the fleet commander.

"Sir, we're taking heavy fire. Falling back to crossfire positions." reported the captains of the Hunter, Jackson, King, and Sommerset.
"The rest of the fleet keep up your fire. Don't let-" I was interrupted by an incoming call.
"It's from the Star League. They have arrived."

We departed for the Star League vessel. When we got close we saw how large it was. It was easily capable of housing the ASF. Once upon the ship we informed them of the battle situation and they sent the ships they had to the front lines. I told my ship to go ahead. I had some personal issues to settle now.

...to be continued

Heinz

intense updates my man!!! action packed and still very gripping! see you next update

crushedcar

Replies

Heinz Thank you very much!

Chaosgate-Part 2

Before I left the Star League Vessel I got a look at their fleet. It was truly impressive considering the fact that their bomber were the the size of a T-class Frigate. After watching the fleet leave I used my teleporter to beam to the Terran Mothership. I was looking for the shield controls. If I could turn the shields off the Stargate could be destroyed as could the mothership.
While walking across a catwalk I saw the Star League Fleet in action. There bombers and fighters were taking out three of the Ho'tau motherships.

Suddenly, I heard the unmistakeable voice of Jonag. I drew my Laser Sword and prepared for the attack. He walked into the room, Laser Sword drawn. Then he shouted, "Your efforts are useless Hunter. Soon, we will control the Galaxy."
"You can't trust the Ho'tau or Kopan. Your loss will mean nothing to them. Stop this attack before its to late," I retorted.
He walked nearer and said, "I will not turn back." He then swung at me with his Laser Sword knocking me back. I dashed at and under him only to be blocked. We exchanged blows, each being blocked by the other. Then he kicked me over just in time to see the ASF and Star League cruisers destroy the last of the Ho'tau motherships.

I jumped up and somersaulted over Jonag kicking him in the back. He whipped around twice trying to hit me. I blocked his sword and punched him solidly in the jaw. He quickly recovered and came down with a hammer swing. I rolled into the control room, causing his strike to hit the floor. As I stood up I saw a Star League Frigate take out a Kopan vessel.

I hid myself beside the door and stuck my Laser Sword across the doorway. He blocked the manuever and ran into the room. I whirled around and hit him in the back. He keeled over, dead. As his Laser Sword rolled away I looked at him and thought of when he had been my officer.

I was able to find the sheild control and shut it off. I knew I had to get off the ship but instead I went back and kneeled over Jonag. The victory seemed so hollow. I heard a loud explosion and ran over to the window to watch the Stargate explode. A Ho'tau vessel had been cut in half by the rapid closure of the wormhole. It was just about to stirke the final enemy vessel, a Ho'tau ship that had come through the gate just a minute before.

I beamed back aboard my vessel. I was depressed as I watched the Terran Mothership fall at the hands of the Star League's largest vessel.

Maybe I was tired or something but, as soon as we got home I decided to go to Six Flags Atlantis. I hated amusement parks. Still, the battle had drained me and I needed a vacation. I was considering a much more permanenent one, resignation of my office.

...to be continued

Meanwhile on Atlantica the news broke that the nation had joined the Star League. Speculation is about the organization is crazy. The news leaked out after the Atlantican Congress recieved this fax. Only time will tell what will come of this new alliance.

crushedcar

Slap in the Face

When I got back to Atlantis, I journeyed over to Six Flags Atlantis. The park was just amazing, and rather uncrowded for July 1st. I had been there about four hours before someone asked me about Star League. I just passed by without answering. I was just about to get on The Cobra's Revenge when I saw a book on the ground.

I picked it up and decided to take a look at it later that night. I was feeling much better than I had been yesterday, and figured that I had just needed a little break. I wish I had known what waited at my office, but I was having too good of a time.
That night I returned to my office to find my computer's messanger full of questions, mostly about Star League. However, I did find a couple in there that looked interesting.

Great! I had never been particularly fond of the GA but this was a slap in the face. I hoped Star League would not be the same.
The other note sounded like a typical assassination plot. Still with the way things had been going I decided it was worth checking out. I went to bed that night. The next morning I left for Jokani Mountain Army Base.
When I arrived, I was greeted by a familiar face. I knew I had seen her once before but just couldn't place her name. She took me to the command center, where a few other people were scattered across the room. But before they could explain why I was here the base screens roared to life.

The broadcaster came on. "Kyle is a monstrous storm. It is getting stronger every minute. Currently the sustained winds are at 375 miles per hour, gusting as high as 450mph. The eye of the storm is approximately 50 miles in diameter. Scientists classify this hurricane as a category 9 storm. Satelite data is starting to flow in. Here's the view from space..."

Suddenly another broadcaster broke in. "We just learned that Terra has been destroyed by a supernova. Recon satelites in the area recorded the explosion. Photos are scarce due to the number of satelites destroyed. However, this photo shows the intensity of the event. The blur in the lower left is Terra."

The broadcaster was cut off by the sound of the base lab technician. He was screaming indescernably when I saw he was carrying a sheet of paper. When he finally calmed down, he explained that the recent string of quakes had created a rift zone in Atlantis. He said that unless something drastic happened, a rupture would open causing massive destruction.

Finally, I was left alone with the KLF for a few minutes. The woman spoke first. "Hello, General Hunter. Come with me. We have much to discuss."
I could only think of two words. Assassanation attempt.

...to be continued

threestooges

Why is it everything always happens at once? Great story so far. It keeps moving along nicely. Interesting, yet not too over the top (good for the style). I'll look forward to more.

crushedcar

threestooges I don't know. I just does. Thank you.

Entering A New Era

It wasn't long before I had reluctantly got into that woman's car. She had to be no older than 25 by the way she looked though I knew that meant nothing now. I was still trying to figure out where I had seen her before.
She entered the car and turned around to look at me. Then she said, "Great day isn't it Daniel."
I nearly jumped out of my seat. Suddenly, memories came flooding back to me. She was one of the people I had worked with during the Pae'wan War nearly 30 years ago. "Great, Ke'alto," I said cautiously.
She exclaimed, "You remember."
"How can I forget some one like you?" Then I froze. She had been working as a Kopan spy during those days. I foolishly had allowed her to enter a base and she had nearly destroyed it. I suddenly felt like I was in a lot more danger.
As if she had read my thoughts she calmly replied, "I won't hurt you."
"You said that thirty years ago," I thought to myself.
"This time I mean it," she said. I was shocked. Was I really that transparent? "You forgot that you are one of us, General Hunter." Then she declared in a pilot-like voice, "We are approaching our destination."
I looked out the window and retorted, "Just because we have the same abilities does not mean I am one of you. The Kopan are filthy, double-crossing liars."

"So you do remember?" she said.
I laughed. "I don't forget much," I said.
"Okay, let's put this behind us. We are at our destination."
I looked at what looked like a naquadah reactor. I was really nervous because I didn't know where I was or what the KLF wanted me here for.

We walked through the reactor with her pointing out every detail of the facility. We walked for what seemed like an eternity. I was expecting at any moment she would pull out a gun and shoot me. Finally we arrived at what appeared to be a hotel. We took the elevator to the top floor. When we got to her room she said, "We can talk in here."

I entered and looked at her. "Talk about what?"
She turned and said, "Since the war there has been a falling out among the Kopan. The KLF is one faction that has formed. We hope to help Atlantica by defending it against the threats posed by the more extreme among our race."
I looked a her. "What do you want in return?"
"The freedom to make Atlantica our home. We would not try to take over, just help out."
"I've been burned once by you. You're going to have to prove to me that I can trust you."
"I understand. Let me show you something." She showed me a schematic describing their fleet. It was impressive. "Don't you think you would have wied you out if we had wanted to?" she said.
"Alright, but you can understand a little suspicion on our part."
"Yes." She said. Suddenly everything went dark.
I woke up in the very building I had been before we had left for that city. I opened a news hologram.

I clicked on the link for the Space Station article.

I was shocked. Only the Kopan used black laser technology.

...to be continued

Heinz

phew that was quite a read since i was last here. so much action!  :P great work in and out of the game with all the added stuff you put up. the news articles and everything else make this MD interesting

crushedcar

Heinz Thank you, my friend!

Five Months Later
I realized what had happened that day about two weeks later. It was one of the Kopan communication techniques, usually used by Kopan spies. About that same time our satelites picked up a city on the planets desert north pole. This had to be the city that Ke'alto had shown me. After a trip to the city and some heated debates we officially relocated the capital there.

Five months later, I was at Halo Field watching the New Atlantis Blasters Play the Danville Destroyers, when I got a phone call. It seemed rather important so I took it.
"President, Hunter," came the voice of my VP.
"Yes, Tom. What is it?"
"Just wanted to let you know that the grand opening of the New Atlantis Tower is tonight. Be sure you're there."
"Will do, Tom."
After the game I drove to downtown. New Atlantis was growing rapidly and so was the skyline. It took me just 10 minutes to get over there, thanks in part to the fact that the Destroyers were being pummelled. The final was something like 24-1. Anyway, it was always a trick telling what time it was by looking at the sky. Atlantica is part of tri-solar star system. In fact, Atlantica is a stationary planet. Of, course with three suns in the sky New Atlantis never went dark. It also explained why this place was such a desert.

The ribbon cutting went without a hitch and I returned home at 1 A.M. The KLF had helped in designing the government district and I was very impressed by their sense of organization and beauty. Of course the Presidential Mansion was at the center of the government district. It was rather close to the national library and national supercomputers. I went to bed that night hardly remembering any of the events that had led to this.

The next morning I went to the Defense Ministry. They had called last night while I was at the ribbon cutting. When I arrived they briefly explained the situation.

"Sir, the Star League contacted us yesterday. They were wanting to discuss Atlantica's relational status," the Minister of Defense explained.
"Ah, I'll get on it right away." I spent quite a while trying to figure out what to say. Finally I was able to come up with somthing. I prepared for the comm to be sent when I decided I should probably send pictures of the sites I had mentioned in the letter. A quick trip to each site and I sent it off.
Embassy Site 1

Embassy Site 2

Embassy Site 3

...to be continued

I know the grid is on in the last three pictures. It is for a guide for those Star League nations who want an embassy now. Please do not comment about that.

Heinz

ok.. bit of a breather there. well appreciated. that area looks majestic. looking forward to how you fill in the triangle with development. see you around

crushedcar

Heinz Thank you!

Time Doesn't Change Everything
It's been said that time changes everything. Sometimes I wish this were true, but alas, time is no longer master of the universe. Nor does it exert the strains of aging on mankind anymore. We have become the masters of time, and yet in some twisted way time has gladly reversed the role. The day the NCCP and Zanapolis Embassies were completed was a day of celebration. I was giving a speech at the NCCP embassy.

"Though many things have changed since the beginning of the year, one thing remains constant. Our goal is galactic peace. Through our alliance with the Star League and the nations of NCCP and Zanapolis, we hope to achieve this goal so that our children and grandchildren will live with only history as reminder of war. Until that day, it is necessary for everyone to work together, each doing their part to achieve this goal. As Atlantica opens diplomatic relations with NCCP and Zanapolis let us continue to live in the pursuit of freedom. Thank you and Good Day."
I drove over to the Zanapolis Embassy. As I walked through the plaza that surrounded the structure, I reminisced on the events of my lifetime. New technologies that prevented aging, allowed instant transport, and allowed interstellar transport had been sci-fi when I was born. Now they were as common as the people who used them.

My thoughts were interrupted by a call. I picked it up expecting a call from some media journalist. Instead I heard the voice of Ke'alto.
"Where are you?" she asked.
"Zanapolis Embassy," I replied.
"Could you get over to the NAGC quickly?"
"Sure, what's the problem?"
She replied softly, "Nothing's wrong. They're installing the 8 symbol gate right now."
I told her I would be there shortly. It was deja vu all over again. Not more than 30 years ago something similar had happened in Atlantis. I teleported to the Command Center.

"We wanted you to see the new gate. This was your dream," commented the base commander. He took me into an elevator and took me into the new base.
"Here is the new Space Force Training Center. What do you think?"

"Very impressive. It reminds me of my days as pilot," I quipped.
He continued through the base to a small plaza in the center. Then he reached into his pocket and pulled out what looked like a remote control. "Care to do the honors?" was all he said.
I pushed the button he told me to and we transported to a suspended structure. I recognized the controls. This was no doubt the Gate Room.

As I arrived, there was a click that caused me to jump. I whirled around to see the stargate being placed. The base commander said, "Do you want to dial the first address?"
I looked around the room and then began to dial the one planet that I had never visited. The feeling was so familiar and yet so scary. As we walked through I wondered what we had done. Was Atlantica finally safe or had we just invited the enemy in?

...to be continued.