• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

Nice work with the tutorial David. It's a fine piece of work. Since you are revealing some of the secrets of the Reader, I should share some of the secrets of the BAT. You noted in Part 7 of your tutorial:
QuoteWhat we want to do is to enter Matt's TGI numbers for the phone pole, which he has so kindly included as part of his file name.

...but, whoa, you say.  The last "0x" number in Matt's file name only has five characters: "30000".  Shouldn't it be "00030000".  The answer is- it is "00030000"- Matt just simply adopts a convention common to .SC4Model file naming.  He drops the leading zeroes of the instance number- sort of like an abbreviation.  Matt, if you can tell us why this is done (or if any other BATter would know), it'd be great if you'd pass that info along...
Part of the export process of the BAT is that it adds the TGI info to the file name automatically (which as you've noted is quite nice for further down the road) when the model is exported. As for why it removes the string of zeros before the first actual value... I'm not sure. Perhaps it's because they're unnecessary digits. Aside from that, I'm not sure. Looking forward to the next part.
-Matt

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

dedgren

Just breaking in here to let you know about an interesting 3RR milestone we'll hit today.  As of right now, we have 65,000 (and change) page views on 3RR-ST.

In a few hours, we'll hit 135,000 page views here.  That means that, in two and one-half years, we've had 200,000 looks in at what we're doing here...

...and counting!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Kokopelli

Great stuff. I haven't posted in a while, but I have been here. Keep up the good work.

JoeST

thats a list of epic City Journals you got there David, yours is in its rightfull place (at the bottom :P, NOT) as one of the best :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

bat

Part Eight is great there and congrats on so many views at 3RR-ST!! &apls

Haljackey

200k.  Wow.  That's insane.

I thought nothing would ever surpass CoE (City of Edmonton). I was wrong.  Fantastic work David, you truly do amazing work!

Best,
-Haljackey

134,996.  4 more till the milestone!

metarvo

Congratulations, David. 

&apls

Thinking back, 3RR ought to be required reading for any new SC4D member, even though it would be an extensive read. :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

JoeST

* JoeST makes a PHP script that compiles all of the posts into a long list of prose :D

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Ryan B.

Quote from: JoeST on September 23, 2008, 12:37:30 PM
* JoeST makes a PHP script that compiles all of the posts into a long list of prose :D

Joe

That would take quite some time to read at an "open mic" night.  :P

EDIT:  Congratulations on 1,600 posts, Joe!

thundercrack83

200,000+ views, David--what a milestone, my friend!

And the tutorial's coming along nicely, too--though, I still haven't tried to put it into operation yet...

Take care!

Dustin

MassHelper

The number of views have officially surprasssed 135,000 and is now at 135143 views!!!

Congrats, Dave!

;) Mass
SC4 Modders' Assistant and Adviser

dragonshardz

the reason the preceding 0's of the 0x0003000 are removed is because of how base 16 works. that's the best i can explain without going into the technical information that's hard to understand.

~~dragonshardz~~

Pat

David I've been waiting to say something here on the tuturiols... They have been very good and informative, I will be printing them off to read on paper and hopefully make more sense of them... 

Congrats on the milestone for sure here!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Grneyes

David, I hope everything went ok today and you are recovering nicely. There are so many tutorials I will have to make a special SC4 binder for them.

MaryBeth

threestooges

Great work on part 8 David. Glad to hear the 'procedure' you went through today didn't slow you down much (I think it would take quite a bit to do that). I noticed one thing in the section though, just before fig 56:
QuoteBut what about stuff that we don't knowabout the orientation of,
I think that's what you were saying. I know you'll probably check this when you are done with the section, but I wanted to mention it now just in case. Hope all is well.
-Matt

EDIT: ...don't care about...  Heh, Matt- fixed.  Good guess, and thanks as always for the sharp eye. -DE

kalanc69

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!!

I'm sorry I haven't been on in awhile, but RL has reared it's ugly head and kept me from the important things, such as catching up on 3RR info! I'm sorry to hear of your medical problems, but I am sure you will come out of it in tip top shape. I have to say that this last tutorial has been one of your best, though I am still waiting for the tree lots tutorial you promised to finish back in August of 2007! (Not complaining, just thought it was darn funny!). As always, thank you for taking the time to contribute excellent things to the world of SC4!

dedgren

Turning a prop into a plop - A tutorial (Part Nine)

This is the ninth part of the 3RR Plopperizer™ tutorial.

Previous parts can be found as follows:

Part One [linkie]
  Part Two [linkie]
  Part Three [linkie]
  Part Four [linkie]
  Part Five [linkie]
  Part Six [linkie]
  Part Seven [linkie]
  Part Eight [linkie]

This part of the tutorial continues...

...in a minute, but let me stop here and say this- the business of making BAT objects ploppable is not uncomplicated.  Here we are, nine parts and 70 figures of the tutorial in, and we still have a ways to go.  But- don't despair, please.  You're over the worst of it.  Much of the work, as you've seen, is simply repetition, but at an extremely detailed level.  You need to be organized, but don't we all?  The light at the end of the tunnel is that, as long as I have everything organized and ready to go, I am at the point where I can do one of these in about 15-20 minutes, tops.  If you really want to be able to create ploppables, it won't take you long to get there, either...

...with the editing of the properties of the remaining exemplar files.

Fig. 57 (last time around)

Now, there's bad news and good news.  The bad news is that we have to edit several properties for each one of these exemplars.  The good news is that there are fewer edits than for the first ("base instance number" exemplar we just completed and, for the first six, these edits are exactly alike (with three tiny exceptions) across the board.  The seventh exemplar has even fewer edits.  So, once you get a few things down, this won't be be very hard or take very long at all.

The first thing is some nomenclature.  I'm going to refer to the seven remaining exemplars as "exemplar 01", "exemplar 02", "exemplar 03", and so on through "exemplar 07".  Here's a table to help.

Table 1
[tabular type=9]
[row] [head]Entry[/head] [head]Instance[/head] [head]We'll call it...[/head][/row]
[row] [data]Exemplar file[/data] [data]de531001[/data] [data]exemplar 01[/data][/row]
[row] [data]Exemplar file[/data] [data]de531002[/data] [data]exemplar 02[/data][/row]
[row] [data]Exemplar file[/data] [data]de531003[/data] [data]exemplar 03[/data][/row]
[row] [data]Exemplar file[/data] [data]de531004[/data] [data]exemplar 04[/data][/row]
[row] [data]Exemplar file[/data] [data]de531005[/data] [data]exemplar 05[/data][/row]
[row] [data]Exemplar file[/data] [data]de531006[/data] [data]exemplar 06[/data][/row]
[row] [data]Exemplar file[/data] [data]de531007[/data] [data]exemplar 07[/data][/row]
[/tabular]

So, we'll start by editing exemplar 01 by left clicking it in the file description pane, which brings up its properties in the file edit pane.  Here are the five properties we'll be editing in each of exemplars 01 through 06.

Fig. 71

Hey, we've seen all these properties before in the topmost exemplar!  Well, that's correct (remember what I said about the repetitive nature of doing this?) and it's nice to be able to tell you that the method of editing each doesn't change.  Same "Property :" edit subwindows, same changing the value by entering it in the "Value as Text" edit field, same clicking the "Apply" buttons to input the change.

So, let's get started with the "Exemplar Name" property value.  You will recall that, when we edited the first exemplar, we changed this to "3RR_TS_Phone_Pole_1bar_orth_Ploppable", right?  Well, this time what you'll do is, since we're working with a different exemplar: exemplar 01, give it its own unique name by entering 3RR_TS_Phone_Pole_1bar_orth_Ploppable_01 into the "Value as Text" field.  What we've done, then, is add the suffix "_01" onto the basic exemplar name.  You'll increment the suffix by one for each subsequent exemplar you work with; 3RR_TS_Phone_Pole_1bar_orth_Ploppable_02 for exemplar 02, 3RR_TS_Phone_Pole_1bar_orth_Ploppable_03 for exemplar 03, and so on all the way through 3RR_TS_Phone_Pole_1bar_orth_Ploppable_07 for exemplar 07.  That's easy, eh? Remember to click the "Apply" buttons.  Oh, and if you are creating your own ploppable BAT object, simply use the exemplar name you came up with adding "_01", "_02", "_03", etc. according to the same scheme.

Next, we take up the "Exemplar ID" property value.  Just as with the "Exemplar Name" property we just covered, each of the remaining exemplars 01 through 07 needs to have its own unique ID number.  This one's easy, once you've left clicked the exemplar you're working with, and double left clicked the Exemplar ID property to open its edit subwindow, simply enter 0x plus the exemplar's corresponding instance number from Table 1 above.  Exemplar 01 thus has an Exemplar ID property value to enter of 0xde531001, exemplar 02 an entered value of 0xde531002, and so on through exemplar 07, which has a entered value of 0xde531007.  This scheme applies as well to your own exemplars you create.  Again, don't forget to left click the "Apply" buttons.

The "Resource Key Type 1" property value is once again the TGI from the file name of Matt's one bar orthogonal phone pole .SC4Model file, just as it was in the first exemplar we edited.  For each exemplar 01 through 07 open the file edit pane, double click on the Resource Key Type 1 property and enter 0x5AD0E817,0x95A502B7,0x00030000 in each of the seven "Value as Text" fields that come up.  Left click the "Apply" buttons and you are done with this property.

The "Flora: Cluster Type" property values need to be changed for exemplars 01 through 06.  There is no such value for exemplar 07, as there is no "next" exemplar to reference.  Bring up the file edit pane for each by clicking on the exemplar in the file description pane, and enter, just as you did for the topmost exemplar, 0x plus the instance number of the next exemplar in sequence.  Exemplar 01 thus has an Exemplar ID property value to enter of 0xde531002, exemplar 02 an entered value of 0xde531003, and so on through exemplar 06, which has a entered value of 0xde531007.  This scheme once again applies to the exemplars you create.  As always, don't forget to left click the "Apply" buttons.

Last, the "User Visible Name Key" property value is changed to reflect the base instance number: "de531000" for each exemplar 01 through 07.  You know the drill by now- open each exemplar's file edit pane, double click on the User Visible Name Key property and enter 0x2026960B,0x4A5E093C,0xde531000 in each of the seven "Value as Text" fields that come up.  Left click the "Apply" buttons and you are done with this property.  Remember, if you are creating your own ploppable BAT object, use whatever base instance number you have assigned.

Now, that was quick.  If you did all these correctly, you are done editing all eight exemplars (yay!).  If you need reassurance, though. here's what the file edit pane for each exemplar should look like right now.

For exemplar 01:

Fig. 72

For exemplar 02:

Fig. 73

For exemplar 03:

Fig. 74

For exemplar 04:

Fig. 75

For exemplar 05:

Fig. 76

For exemplar 06:

Fig. 77

For exemplar 07:

Fig. 78

If you've been following the bouncing ball, and yours look just like these, hit the "Save" button in the task bar, and let's move on to Part Ten [linkie].

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

art128

another great work  :thumbsup:
and congrats for the 65000 view in Simtropolis  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

emilin

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

&apls &apls &apls

I really wanted to learn this, and now I can (eeehhh... or rather: I can TRY ;D)

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine