• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

Ohh, this looks wonderful, SA! :) But there shouldn't be any at-grade railway crossings on a highway - if Nardo69 sees this, you'll risk quite some scolding. ;)
Andreas

nerdly_dood

Excellent work on the Euro highway, SA! Now if I could just figure out my temporary texture replacement before you release your completed mod...
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

wes.janson

Quote from: Andreas on August 31, 2008, 10:13:53 AM
Ohh, this looks wonderful, SA! :) But there shouldn't be any at-grade railway crossings on a highway - if Nardo69 sees this, you'll risk quite some scolding. ;)

That depends.. I know of more than a couple at-grade railway crossings on highways in rural Saskatchewan, Canada

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

metarvo

Those are nice textures, Shadow Assassin.  However, it is meant more for Euro highways.  American ones tend to have yellow lines on the left side (with right-hand driving).  Wes.janson, I do agree with you about the at-grade rail crossings.  I have seen them myself, although it is quite common in my area for a railroad to ramp up to an overpass above the highway rather than crossing it at-grade.  Once, I read that I-10, a major freeway in west Texas, actually has at least two at-grade road intersections, coupled with a whopping 80 mph (129 km/h) speed limit on some streches.  Anyway, I do like the textures, Shadow Assassin.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Andreas

Quote from: wes.janson on August 31, 2008, 11:26:22 AM
That depends.. I know of more than a couple at-grade railway crossings on highways in rural Saskatchewan, Canada

Yes, I know. ;) I guess this is true for rural Australia as well, but at least in Germany, you won't see any at-grade railway crossings on highways of the RHW-4 type (at-grade road intersections might be there, though, this is the main difference between RHW and autobahn). For RHW-2, things are different, but at least busier roads (or railway lines) will always have overpasses.
Andreas

wes.janson

Saskatchewan isn't known for its population or traffic. While there are at-grade rail crossings.. I have had to stop for deer/moose/loose cows on the highway more than I have had to stop for a train to pass.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

riponite

There is an "at-grade" crossing on U.S. Hwy 151 in Beaver Dam, WI.  Outside of that oddity, the road is a limited access freeway bypass.  They even add a third lane so that trucks can pull off to the side.  It is not an "Interstate" so I guess it is OK.  Otherwise, "at-grade" crossings are very rare in Wisconsin.  I'm happy they are in the RHW.   :)

j-dub

Having to deal with a rural highway and having to wait at a grade railway crossing in reality, I think it is the stupidest thing ever, it causes long traffic backups. When you have too many signals changing red, it is bad for the enviornment, in addition to people trying to get to places on the time. Why is it bad for the enviornment? Because not being able to keep at a consistent speed, and long engine ideling, really wastes gas. Personally I am not a fan of the idea of having a railroad crossing on a highway, however I thik the RHW would be better with that SMP signal, or something. The Maxis crossing gates don't seem sufficient to me, if you got cars on the RHW going past 50 mph or so. More than we realize it, the reality is there are plenty of rural highways in the world that have it, even though its probably not the best idea. However, I really try not to use railroad crossings much as possible, thanks to NAM.

Tarkus

Well, as far as the Rail thing, it's ultimately all just about options.  Some places have the at-grade crossings, some don't--some people are fine with them, others aren't.  But the RHW gives you the choice. ;)  Though there will be no at-grades at all on the wider RHWs (6+). 

I will, however, be fixing up the overrides for the GLR at-grades with RHW-4, and adding diagonal intersections in (since I have the RULs in place now, as seen by the Diagonal MIS stuff). 

Back with more developmental stuff shortly.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Pat

SA that is looking sweet there!!!! 

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Shadow Assassin

QuoteOhh, this looks wonderful, SA! Smiley But there shouldn't be any at-grade railway crossings on a highway - if Nardo69 sees this, you'll risk quite some scolding.  ;)

I only did the rail texture because there's one in the default mod. My personal preference is well, no RR crossings on highways... but others may think otherwise. If I didn't do the crossing, it'd look odd when it switches suddenly back to Alex's rail texture.

QuoteYes, I know.  ;) I guess this is true for rural Australia as well, but at least in Germany, you won't see any at-grade railway crossings on highways of the RHW-4 type (at-grade road intersections might be there, though, this is the main difference between RHW and autobahn). For RHW-2, things are different, but at least busier roads (or railway lines) will always have overpasses.

Rural highways in Australia do not have level rail crossings... (maybe the RHW-2 equivalents, but that's because they don't get enough traffic to justify an overpass)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Jerommeke1701

The at-grade railway crossing would indeed be a matter of options, and in my view the period in which you situate your city.

To give an example:
The A2 Motorway/highway between Amsterdam and Utrecht - one of the busiest in the Netherlands - had an at grade crossing until in the late 1970s (A situation that existed until 1976 or 1978)

metarvo

Actually, I would prefer that the RHW does have at-grades.  I can use them where I want them, and not use them where I don't.  That's how I feel.  It wouldn't be that hard to simply not build them.  So, I feel that SA has made a good choice.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

zakuten

Just my two cents, heh.. I'm one of the apparently few people who uses the RHW more without interchanges than with, since here in the Midwest, there are often rural double-divideds that have no separations and often indeed simply cross straight over railroads without any over and underpass. Of course, these are all RHW-4s. I think that including that and an RHW-2 level crossing are definitely enough.
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Shadow Assassin

Some new stuff:

Note that arrows have been added to the preview models so that you can see which direction the pieces are facing when you plop them. This was a problem in the previous version - you often couldn't see which direction they were facing.

Anyway, the RHW-4 and RHW-6 are completed. I just have the MIS, puzzle pieces and RHW-2 left.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

MandelSoft

The new transitions look smoother than the old ones. Nicely done, SA! By the way, adding arrows on the starter piece is a good idea, although some textures must be flipped for the people with LHD.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Starmanw402007

Hey tarkus, when I tried opening of these windows. I got multiable windowns. when it was finished opening windows after windows, I had 15 at the time; And had to shutdown pc and reboot. Forgot which file I opened that made multi windows on my pc though.

Hi Steven, I'm sorry to hear you're having computer issues.  That can happen when you're opening up a bunch of .zip files from downloads--they accumulate if you don't close them down after finishing them.  In the future, though, if you're having general computer-related issues, please ask in the PC/Computer Hardware and Operating System Issues and Questions board, rather than using the RHW thread.  That board is designed specifically for these sorts of issues.  :-)  Hope that helps! -Alex (Tarkus)
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

gn_leugim

Haljackey

Amazing Shadow Assassin!  I didn't think your textures could get any better, and then you post those pics... I am looking forward to it!

Best,
-Haljackey