• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Cosmetic dashed roads & more...

Started by videosean, August 08, 2008, 10:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

videosean

Those actually aren't 45 degree/diagonal straight road pieces above and below each texture I'm working on. I did the ortho to diagonal pieces earlier.  The pieces that look like 45 degrees roads above can be seen in these 2 mockups and there is a slight curve to them.

Tarkus

Quote from: Diggis on August 28, 2008, 05:38:57 AM
You are missing a piece for the curve to 45 degrees.  The corner is actually made up of 2 pieces before the true diagonal piece pops in.

Yes, Diggis is correct.  Look for 0x00000C00.  :)  It fills the gap between 0x00004D00 and 0x00000A00.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Edit: Never mind. :D  Looks like you got it.

videosean

My 45 diagonal straight, Maxis C00, my C00, in game shot.

:)

Jonathan

Great work on the textures &apls
You'll get to the NAM textures eventually :thumbsup:

btw, are putting those IIDs on in Photoshop or have you modified the game textures to show the IIDs?

videosean

I just use photoshop - wish I had the skills to modify the game to show us IDs!

Tarkus

All you'd really have to do to do that is just extract the textures, use Photoshop to write the IIDs on the texture, and then import the "marked" textures into a separate .dat.  I do that quite regularly, and I find it helps immensely with RULing to have "IID Revealer" files.

-Alex

allan_kuan1992

Can you improve the middle bottom texture? Curve the the road slightly so that it doesn't appear the curb suddenly changes angle.

As well, the left bottom texture looks funny when the road line doesn't follow the curb's curve.

And one last thing... the diagonal texture... the left side (everything left of and including the left yellow line) seems to be offset by 1 px. I think that you were intending to make these "symmetrical"; if that's the case then the offset might theoretically screw things up a bit. That's of course unless the SC4models are all offset... in which case... >.<

- Allan Kuan

videosean

That middle bottom texture 0x00000C00 is used in several instances.  It's usually part of a 2 tile transition combo when a road transitions from ortho to diagonal.  1st image shows my 0x00000C00 with the Maxis 0x00004D00 which is what my middle image is for.  2nd picture shows all the transitions I could think of (there could be more though) where 0x00000C00 is used and marked every instance of 0x00000C00 with a yellow square in it's tile.

I'll try to come up with something better for that middle middle 0x00004D00.
0x00004D00: 0x00000C00:
Sometimes the photoshop screenshots might be of something that's not quite finished.  I'm not going to allow any 1 pixel offsets in the game - will fix any I find after testing and honestly haven't tested the ones I've been showing photoshop screenshots of yet.

*edit*
I'd rather not separate the double lines because there should be angled lines between them when that's done (and they'd only look proper about half the time in the game due to texture flipping) but it looks wrong to me with one lane looking wider than the other.
new 00004D00: old:

videosean

Slowly but surely this will get done :)

If anyone would like to try out my mstery.dat file feel free!  It contains texture IIDs of road intersections that I'm not able to get to show up in my game.  If you can get them to show up I'd like a screenshot so I know how to make them show up :)
http://www.disperseit.com/view.php?id=14161 - zip file with DAT file and PNGs of the textures marked with IIDs.

JoeST

Very nice, very very nice

cant wait for more :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

videosean

I'm thinking there's little or no need for a crosswalk for the south and east sides of this intersection (would still want stop lines of some sort and the left image shows that) but I might keep the crosswalks.
|

00040D00 - I've figured out this texture's purpose (can cross it off the list if you're trying the mystery.dat from earlier) but I wasn't able to get it to show in my game.  The connecting roads are 0x00000C00 - not regular diagonal straights.

I'm fairly certain that when I tried to get the 00040D00 intersection in my game it changed into 00010400:

I should make textures for anything I can figure out even if I can't get it to show in game... right?  It would mean more bloat/wasted unnecessary bytes (as long as my attempts to get it to appear were good enough) but it would be complete.

darraghf

Great Idea.

Is it available for download anywhere?

Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg