• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBSimio

Haven't had a lot of time to comment here again lately... sorry David.  The repaving truly looks great!  Almost as good as the pictures from Yellowstone... although it's pretty hard to compete with images like those.

Just so you don't think I completely abandonned things here already...

Just a quick look at the second one I'm tinkering with at the moment.  Still needs some finishing touches, but it's pretty close to finished.  I'll have to update the finished pictures of the first lot later.  This one is a 2x2... contrary to what I originally said about sticking with the 3x2 lots.  I started looking ahead to corner possibilities, and I didn't want to be stuck with all corner buildings being in the single tile range... so this is one way I plan to mix that up a little bit more.  ;)

Hope all is well along your section of the west coast!
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

sithlrd98

Quote from: dedgren on July 11, 2009, 08:01:00 AM

An important point for folks appears to be the paraphernalia that goes with intersections- crosswalks, stop lines, signals- that sort of stuff.  Andreas sort of summed things up for me:[/size][/font]

Here's my thinking on that.  I am getting to the point of conceiving of road textures as just that- the basic texture unaffected by the surroundings.  To me, a scene in the game is spoiled by unwanted stuff where it doesn't belong, like "high wealth" grass, streetlights or crosswalks in undeveloped areas.  I have accordingly been working on a City/Urban Area set of road textures that would be available as one or more SAM sets to continue roads into built up places.  I previewed a taste of this idea during my participation in GRV II.

The next thing I am going to learn how to do is T-21ing.  I'm just not all that eaten up by the idea that everything has to be automatic or draggable.  In particular regard to intersections, it seems to make sense to me to have a basic road intersection with no traffic control as the default draggable.  Two-way and four-way stop signs and (I believe) even stop lines can be done with offset ploppables.  Higher capacity intersections, which could include turn lanes and signalization as appropriate, would be done with a set of T-21d puzzle pieces.  I'll make the retextures generally available- nobody needs to be locked into my vision- but that's where I'm headed.

Later.
David

David, you have done it again! These updates/fixes are perfect! Between the WRC,FAR,FARR,Re-done rails/RAM stuff , you have  almost single handedly given us what Rush hour was supposed to!As far as the Stoplight,street junk stuff, I would love more puzzle pieces myself as it allows for many things that draggable doesn't.I really don't understand why Maxis thought that every single stop had to have a stoplight...it drives me crazy , and love the fact that you created the Rural roads stuff,because now I actually can control intersections!(Now we need Aves! :D) Of course , the other thing that kills me is sidewalks. As you can tell , I am not a rural settings player, although I love seeing what you and others can accomplish in rural settings. As the puzzle pieces do not generally have sidewalks, they need to be created, and of course since not everyone plays urban cities, sidewalks look odd in the rural settings , which means either new pieces need to be made or a mod needs to be created to display the same pieces with or without sidewalks.Of course the way I understand it , not only are there a limited amount of IIDs , but the Rul file is also limited, so the multiple versions is just a waste of IIDs that could be used for something else...(like some One way road curves ::)) So, in many ways, the game will never be finished especially if folks like yourself and the NAM team keep turning out such awesome content and we can continue to enjoy the fruits of your labor , regardless of the direction you take! Thank you!

Quote from: JBSimio on July 11, 2009, 05:31:20 PM
Haven't had a lot of time to comment here again lately... sorry David.  The repaving truly looks great!  Almost as good as the pictures from Yellowstone... although it's pretty hard to compete with images like those.

Just so you don't think I completely abandonned things here already...

Just a quick look at the second one I'm tinkering with at the moment.  Still needs some finishing touches, but it's pretty close to finished.  I'll have to update the finished pictures of the first lot later.  This one is a 2x2... contrary to what I originally said about sticking with the 3x2 lots.  I started looking ahead to corner possibilities, and I didn't want to be stuck with all corner buildings being in the single tile range... so this is one way I plan to mix that up a little bit more.  ;)

Hope all is well along your section of the west coast!
JB

Holy crap! Those are excellent and should compliment the FAR quite nicely!(cant wait to play with..I mean scruiteneer them!  :D)

Jayson

ldvger

I hate to go way off topic in David's MD, but I have some questions I don't think can be answered anywhere else.

I am working, slowly, om starting a new region.  I have had the Columbia Mod installed for many years, with low snow, but it is not appropriate for my current region. 

I manually installed the Columbia Mod years ago and so am unsure as to how to uninstall it.  It's in bits and pieces all across my game. 

What I need now is a sandstone mod with very high snow.  Can anyone help me figure out how to do this?

Lora/LD

EDITWe are getting ready to head for the airport this morning, Lora, so I won't have some time for a bit.  I unzip the files into a discrete subfolder at "Simcity 4/Plugins/001/cycledogg/Columbus Terrain," so I'll look there and make you a list, unless someone beats me to it.  As an aside, have you given any thought to continuing to use "Columbus" (which may have been Brian's first, but it is a great work, IMHO) and just substituted in the rock mod and snow elevation file of your choice?  More about this later, too. -DE

dedgren

It's open beta time!

If you would like to participate in an open beta using the road retextures, please post to that effect.  Remember that I do have requirements- generally I ask that you give me some feedback, certainly if there are issues, here at 3RR, but also if you do something that you particularly like in the context of your own work.  I will email the beta set to the address you gave when you registered- let me know (by PM) if that has changed.

Also, I need you to choose game default

or Euro retextures.

There'll be additional info in the email.  I plan to send the retextures out by mid-week at the latest.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

metasmurf

Sign me up  &apls

EDITDefault or Euro, my friend?  Not that I don't think I know the answer... -DE

Edit: Euro of course my friend ;)

Shadow Assassin

Count me in too. It'll feel weird using the new re-textures after being used to the Maxis pieces for so long. Euro set, please. :P

Are they wealth-dependent?

EDITHey, Daniel!  Great to see you on board.  These are all 7th position = "0" textures, so anything adjacent that calls for a wealth variant will simply cause the game to revert to the corresponding old "wealth" texture.  I'll have a bunch more about that in a post I plan to make shortly. -DE
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

deathtopumpkins

And count me in as well!  :thumbsup:

(non-euro of course)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

io_bg

I'd like to test them, too. (euro textures)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Blue Lightning

I think I'll give this a shot. Though as SA asks... are they wealth and zone dependant? And I love the curbs... they stand out nicely.  :thumbsup:

(American please)
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Andreas

I guess I won't have that much time for beta-testing, but obviously, having a look at the Euro textures couldn't hurt. ;)
Andreas

art128

I'd like to test them me too ! (euro of course)  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

riiga

I'd also like to test them, the Euro ones.

And once again, fantastic work!  &apls

- riiga

Korot

I'd like to test the euro version.

sithlrd98

Of course i would also love to try'em out! Whichever version is fine , using the euro mod presently.
SA and others: correct me if I'm wrong , and since the IIDs on the previous page aren't 0x504......they could be ,but since these are re-textures with new alphas , I don't exactly know how they'll do.

Jayson

metarvo

I want to test the American version.  It will be the same email that was used for last year's beta test.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

CaptCity

David,

I'll be glad to help out with the testing (American version). Same email is fine. Looking forward to it...

CaptCity

ldvger

David-

I'd beta test too, but I'm a couple of months away from having any built terrain in either of the regions I have going right now, so I'm going to pass.  I also pretty much have my hands full with the two mega-regions...

In regard to your comment about switching out the rock textures, that was a slap-myself-in-the-forehead moment for me.  I realized this morning while making my coffee that I was also going to have to switch out my water mod, as I am using a very slate-like and choppy mod that works very well for a far northern sea but won't work well for San Francisco.  Never occurred to me that I could switch out the rock mod, too, and keep the rest of the terrain from the Columbus pack.  And yeah, I already knew I could raise the snow level, just not remembering right now how to do it. 

But, thinking again now about the Columbus terrain pack, even with snow off and stone changed, I'm not positive the pack will still work for central coastal California.  Very different flora, especially grasses/wildflowers.  But, I'll give it a try, see what it looks like.

And thanks for your help/suggestions!

Lora/LD

Glazert

I would like a chance to test them please (euro version)

dsrwhat316

Hmm... some very interesting developments since the last time I came in here. Those new textures are a vast improvement over the original Maxis textures. You can sign me up for the American textures beta.

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)