• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mind Scape

Started by rooker1, February 27, 2007, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightygoose

superb work and fantastic introduction to the CAM and No Maxis mods.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

canyonjumper

Interesting stuff, Robin! This means I've got to reorganize all of my very disorganised plugins ;D

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

scott1964

Interesting, but I like more variety.  :D That is just me. Your concept looks good in say early America where the row house was prevalent in the bigger cities.  ;) :)

art128

A  lot of things to read there, Robin...  ;D
It's a nice experiment you have there, to be honest, I didn't read everything, but I've done a "diagonal" read and I can tell you this is awesome. Also nice pictures you have there my friend, great job, as usual !

Take care,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Battlecat

Very interesting update, I quite like the results you're getting.  I could probably stand to organize my plugins a bit as well, there certainly seems to be a lot of value to it.  It will take me a while to clean my stuff up though!  Also, thanks for drawing attention to that particular no maxis mod, I didn't realize there was one that went to such fine details.

Looking forward to seeing some more!

Tomas Neto

I like to have a paste of puglins well organized, but I think that I don't have more skill of tidy my mess, on my folder!!! I agree with the others comments, very Interesting update!!!

dragonshardz

Very well done, Robin. I like your system for getting exactly what you want to grow and the system for organizing your plugins.

FrankU

Hi Robin, this is really a very good tutorial. Thanks for that.
But if I move out the lots that have been growing, isn't it so that the game deletes the models and/or certain props?
I one day tried something similar:
First I let grow a certain lot in large amounts. Made them historical. Then I wanted to grow another kind of rowhouse in the next neighbourhood. I took out lot nr 1 and added lot nr 2.
I expected to see a lot of boxes, but i was ready to live with that for a while, because for the end effect i would put the lot nr1 in again.
But after having opened the game (when lot2 wat put into the plugins) the lots of nr1 were partly empty and I never got the buildings back! I am not sure what I did exactly, it is about two years ago...

Or did you do this trick by growing only Maxis lots in the first place? And replace them with the chosen lots?

calibanX

Wow, what a great tutorial. I'm going to keep that plugin folder organization project on the shelf for a rainy day. I wish I had done that in the very beginning when I first started playing the game. I love it but my patience level is somewhat lacking. You've also done a nice job with your CAM introduction.

Take care.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

ecoba

Whoop, you caught me, Robin. Even though I haven't been lurking a lot recently, I just am making sure not to right now.

That style of growth and plugins organisations is really interesting, this is really a good way to make sure certain BATs can grow. I'll be watching for some more info.

Also, are you testing a new version of the CAM?

Ethan

Jbte

Interesting update  :thumbsup:

Sheep49

Hey Robin,

seems like I missed some things around the forums, and it turns out that Mind Scape isn't an exception. I see you are still as great as I remember when it comes to giving gameplay hints that the whole community may benefit from. Now for the update commentary... That was certainly one of the longer updates, and a VERY informative one. First of all thank you for showing us your plugin folder's organisation. I'll have to try putting all my plugins in this way, because while my organisation of the folder seemed effective with a little amount of plugins, now everything seems to mix-up (As of now, the folder looks like this: Plugins->category->[wealth]; no author, which is the most irritating thing...) Back to the update itself, now... I still can't believe that those residential areas you and Alek King of SC4 built are not plopped. They just always looked to me as unnaturally ideal. And now I know your secret... [insert mad scientist's laughter here] ...and I finally know how to use this No Maxis Mod that BSC prepared properly. In all seriousness, I always put everything from that zip file into my Plugins folder, and then I wonder why nothing wants to grow. Yeah, I'm sometimes stupid like that... :D I also wanted to say that I just can't wait for your tutorial on commercial zones. They have always been a nightmare for me when it came to growing custom buildings. I never had such problems with industrials, but only because most of the time I could find them all in the Landmark menu. Now I'm making eye-candy cities, but with your tutorials on here, I want to experiment with CAM and growable buildings some more.

That being said, I have to end writing, since I have some growables to experiment with in SC4 ;)

Keep up the great work; I can't wait for the next installment in your tutorials series. ;)
Piotr
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

kwakelaar

Almost a scientific approach to planning your cities, and it seems that it working very well.

kimcar

Very interesting approch and to complicate for me ;D Seriously if i made a city one of this day i will take a better look at your experiment. Thanks for sharing it :thumbsup:

CabraBuitre

Ever had the "make historical" not work?  I have... which stinks, especially when you're making a low-income neighborhood of houses that aren't all that difficult to get to pop up... but that you want to STAY low wealth, so as you add services, they automatically try to become wealthier...?! 

I have.

It sucks.

Check out Abelfarei!

thundercrack83

Hi, Robin!

Unbelievable work you've put into this latest update! Well beyond the scope of my playing ability, my friend--excellent stuff! The amount of work and effort that you've put into your work is just amazing! "Lots of patience," indeed!

Sorry for being a stranger here, too--I do apologize. My work schedule isn't a schedule per se, the days and shifts during the week that I work change so often that I can't really get a regular routine anymore. It's no excuse, though...especially with the extraordinary work going on here!

Take care, my friend, and I hope that all is going well with you and your family!

Dustin

nedalezz

Another great update, and a lovely nice tutorial. Cant wait for the next update. As for the pictures before, the only real complaint I can have is that your buildings are a bit repetitive. Other than that though, everything looks great!

rooker1

Announcement!!!

No one try my last tutorial until I come back with an explanation.  And if you do please make a back up of the city tile before hand.
I'll be back with some more test results and a few days or so.

Also as a side note.  I aprreciate all the PM about the earthquake in Chile.  My wife's family are all okay and accounted for except for her uncle.  He just happens to be right in the middle of it all....in Concepción.  There are fires and looting going on in this area right now and the area has no cell service.  The government has also placed a curfew....everyone must be off the streets between 8pm and 6am. 
We have our hopes up that Johana's uncle is fine, just unreachable.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

RippleJet

Telephone lines are still dead down there. I'm sure they just haven't been able to contact you yet.
As long as Johana's uncle and family stay out of downtown Concepción, they should be safe.

Nanami

Amazing update!
I just remember Electric Light Orchestra song : Telephone Line.
I hope all of your family is ok.