• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mind Scape

Started by rooker1, February 27, 2007, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanami

Great update! Awesome.

Duplicated post removed :) -tooheys

RickD

Woah, the steel mill. I never found a place in my regions where it fits in. It looks great in your setting and you even remembered to build parking lots for the employees.  :thumbsup:
Hmm, what could be improved? &idea  Well, I would have built a larger rail yard right next to it.  :P

QuoteI went through my entire plugins and categorized all my growables into one of the four tile sets and I am now having a lot of fun growing exactly what I want.

Sounds great! But I have well over 4 Gigabyte of Plugins. This would take some time.  &Thk/(
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

art128

Wow, that certainly is a BIG industry lot ! 0Great to see all these houses getting job in that. *
I like what you did with the railway layout and the (formerly a cemetery) wall around it.
(Pssshhh, picture 5 you have a missing dependency ! ) Also on that same picture, nice place for Perry Station. Are you planning to make an alley from the station to the parkings of the steel mill.

Take care my friend,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

threestooges

So, you want me to tell you what I think do you?

I like it. Overall, I like it. It gives the feeling of an old factory-owned town, with all the buildings appearing in a very pre-fab similar design. However (and this is something inherent in the BATs) there's a stark contrast between the colors of the factory and the surrounding homes. The plant looks new and clean, while the homes look a bit older and dusty. Not sure that can be helped though, it's just the nature of the material you have. One thing though, I like the way you set up the railyard for the plant. For something that size, it seems likely they'd have their own little holding yard. However, I think it's all a bit tight, especially where it all connects to the mainline. I know space may be an issue, but while rails can weave in and around buildings, a wider radius is usually appreciated where available. It'd be nice if you could work a few of the FARR switches into things. Aside from that though, things seem pretty good. Looking forward to what you have next.
-Matt

marsh

That rail line looks realy neat man.  &apls

And that gif. thing is pretty trippy.  :P

,marsh  :satisfied:

CrossSide

First, you got a fantastic MD. A real enjoyment to read. Normally I don't reply that much, but in this case I could not help it.

You asked for feedback, so the only thing I want to say to you is that you have (imo) to rearrange your railroads. The railyard you have right now is to small in my eyes and the connections are to sharp for big trains.

My suggestion is that you make a very big railyard to the right of the factory with some other factories surrounding it. When you do this the big factory won't take all the attention as it does now. Also, be sure that the railroads have a nice layout without too much curves in it because you don't see this IRL too.

I hope you won't take my critics too hard, because I really like your MD. I just want to help!  &apls

rooker1

Quote from: Myself.or.? on May 19, 2010, 11:30:44 AM
Hi Robin,
glad to hear that your family is doing ok.  :) Quakes ain't fun at the best of times. We had one over here last year and they are still struggling to get the comunities up and running.
I simply couldn't wait to finish, so I just put in an extra turn of fast-reading. Was well worth the effort, especially since it's still fairly early over here and I might be able to catch up on some pillow-hugging tonight.   :sleeping: ()stsfd()
You're not sure if I like your MD? Well, bad news. I really don't like it, I fell utterly in love with it...  :D
As for the pics, they remind me of the Ruhr area a couple of decades back. Huge factories in the middle of endless rowhouses. Nice one!
Andreas

Hello Andreas
I'm glad you put in the extra time to finish up my MD and I am super happy you love my MD.....thanks a lot!
Hope to hear from you again soon.

Quote from: TheTeaCat on May 19, 2010, 02:38:33 PM
Hey Guess who?
Yep its me back at long last  :thumbsup:
Well so much has happened since I been gone, where do I start?
Boy am I so glad you took my advice and move out one level at least with your pics - no pixelation wohoo :D :D
Now I can see you skills even more clearly.
I must admit I did love your little bit of rural. :thumbsup:
Looks real good mate
And then its back to what Robin does best - Dirty Industrial.
(ye Gads whats that I see - is it the dreaded grid??)
But I do admit to finding your last update quite realistic what with the industrial plant surrounded by residences.
Only thing missing is the admin/office building that would be on a site like this.
How about removing the car park closest to the road and replacing it with some office complex?
And don't worry I haven't forgotten about our conversation regarding rural stuff for you  -  just been delayed a little bit on that.
Till the next time
Derry

Hey Derry,
I trust everything is going well for you.
I may decide to reLOT in an office building, we'll see.
And I am having fun with what you have sent me so far. ;)  That'll be two updates from now. ::)

Quote from: RippleJet on May 19, 2010, 02:47:35 PM
12 tall men and 13 short men... ::)
With the total body mass unchanged... :P

Hello Tage,
I knew you would like that one.
Thanks for stopping by.

Quote from: figui on May 19, 2010, 04:19:06 PM
^^^ "The mass of an isolated system cannot be changed as a result of processes acting inside the system."
Stated in 1789 by Antoine Lavoisier (1743–1794)

:P
mauricio.

Hey Mauricio,
Good one, thanks for sharing.

Quote from: canyonjumper on May 19, 2010, 04:27:09 PM
Great update Robin! How'd you manage to get everyone to work at the factory? Or are there no neighbouring cities?

-Jordan :thumbsup:

Hello Jordan,
There are neighboring cities.  At one point I had a lot of industrial all over the city.  One month I destroyed alot and ploped that lot.  Alot of the Sims went to work there right away and than the demand starting dropping off.  I look around at the residential in the immediate area, found out where they went to work and than destroyed that work place.  The demand went back up and the Sim went to work where I wanted them to go.  It didn't work that way every time though.  I found that I needed to restart the game every once in a while when things didn't go my way. ;)

Quote from: 976 on May 19, 2010, 10:37:15 PM
Great update! Awesome.

Hey 976, T
Thanks for dropping in.

Quote from: RickD on May 20, 2010, 07:19:21 AM
Woah, the steel mill. I never found a place in my regions where it fits in. It looks great in your setting and you even remembered to build parking lots for the employees.  :thumbsup:
Hmm, what could be improved? &idea  Well, I would have built a larger rail yard right next to it.  :P
Sounds great! But I have well over 4 Gigabyte of Plugins. This would take some time.
  &Thk/(

Hey Rick,
I have changed the area and will be posting those pics next update, I think.  The rail yard is bigger now.  ;)
Thanks for the comment.

Quote from: art128 on May 21, 2010, 07:10:38 AM
Wow, that certainly is a BIG industry lot ! 0Great to see all these houses getting job in that. *
I like what you did with the railway layout and the (formerly a cemetery) wall around it.
(Pssshhh, picture 5 you have a missing dependency ! ) Also on that same picture, nice place for Perry Station. Are you planning to make an alley from the station to the parkings of the steel mill.

Take care my friend,
-Arthur.
:thumbsup:

Hello Arthur,
I know that dependency is missing.  It's a flag and I can't figure out how to fix it. :bomb:
As for the Perry station, I do have a plan and the area is unfinished.....I'm just not ready to share it with you guys yet. ::)

Quote from: threestooges on May 27, 2010, 02:15:45 AM
So, you want me to tell you what I think do you?
I like it. Overall, I like it. It gives the feeling of an old factory-owned town, with all the buildings appearing in a very pre-fab similar design. However (and this is something inherent in the BATs) there's a stark contrast between the colors of the factory and the surrounding homes. The plant looks new and clean, while the homes look a bit older and dusty. Not sure that can be helped though, it's just the nature of the material you have. One thing though, I like the way you set up the railyard for the plant. For something that size, it seems likely they'd have their own little holding yard. However, I think it's all a bit tight, especially where it all connects to the mainline. I know space may be an issue, but while rails can weave in and around buildings, a wider radius is usually appreciated where available. It'd be nice if you could work a few of the FARR switches into things. Aside from that though, things seem pretty good. Looking forward to what you have next.
-Matt

Hello Matt,
I have redone the entire rail yard and will be showing it in the next update.  Hopefully you'll approve of the changes. ;) 
Good to hear from you Matt, I hope you aren't studying to hard.....or at least I hope you make time for yourself here and there.

Quote from: marsh on May 30, 2010, 10:59:12 PM
That rail line looks realy neat man.  &apls
And that gif. thing is pretty trippy.  :P
,marsh
  :satisfied:

Hello marsh,
Thanks for stopping by and I was hoping to trip up someone. :D

Quote from: CrossSide on June 08, 2010, 06:07:51 AM
First, you got a fantastic MD. A real enjoyment to read. Normally I don't reply that much, but in this case I could not help it.
You asked for feedback, so the only thing I want to say to you is that you have (imo) to rearrange your railroads. The railyard you have right now is to small in my eyes and the connections are to sharp for big trains.
My suggestion is that you make a very big railyard to the right of the factory with some other factories surrounding it. When you do this the big factory won't take all the attention as it does now. Also, be sure that the railroads have a nice layout without too much curves in it because you don't see this IRL too.
I hope you won't take my critics too hard, because I really like your MD. I just want to help!
  &apls

I'm glad I was able to get you to post in my MD and hopefully I get to hear a lot more from you. 
I agree with you and the others about the rail yard and I have redone that area and will be posting about this next update.  ;)

So our good friend Pat's MD may not be around for a while.  So I have decided to give a try to making a water fall for myself and man is it difficult to get everything just right.  What you see below took me over two hours to do.  At one point I was so fustrated that I leveled the entire area to re terraform.

Tell me what you think and how I could make it better....please.

Until next time.....enjoy life to it's fullest!
Robin  :)
Call me Robin, please.

ecoba

Beautiful pictures, Robin. Waterfalls certainly must be harder than they appear, and its sad that Pat won't be able to show us any of his beautiful work soon.

Really great job, Robin, I can tell that you put a lot of work into it. :)

Ethan

greckman

That landscape is beautiful and I love that there is a train in every picture. 
CLICK to see my MD on SC4D: Towncrafter's World - The Cities and Towns of greckman

canyonjumper

Great pics Robin! The waterfall looks great! The rail bridge looks amazing with the waterfall in the background!

Your friend,
                                  Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

mikeski

Hello Robin,
Great MD.  I'm a bit of a train lover and love how you include a train in every post.  The waterfall looks great and scenery looks great, I especially love how you have that piece of land with the pine trees sticking out into the water.  Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:
Mike

FrankU

Levelling and beginning again has its advantages. After the frustration your result ended up quite nicely.
I cannot advise you on improving the pictures. I don't know anything of waterfalls, we don't have them around here. And mountains are not in sight for the next 200 km. Besides that: your work is quite good, if I may say so.

Some claps are appropriate:  &apls

RickD

Wow, spectacular scenery and beautiful pictures. I love it.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

CrossSide

Trains, trains & trains!!  &apls

I love it! Nice area and a realistic layout!  &apls

figui

the landscape you terraformed is great! looks really natural.
and the train bridge in front of the waterfall must provide nice opportunities to photographers, that's if the line is used by passenger trains, of course  ;).

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

rooker1

Here is a quick set of pics of the same water fall with some minor changes which were suggested by a good friend.

Tell me if I should have just left well enough alone or if I made any improvements.
You may also notice now that the river starts higher up the mountain, but not much higher than I aloow you all to see. ;)

Robin  :)
Call me Robin, please.

Nardo69

My problems with waterfalls in Sc4 is that in most cases they are too big - and no adequate source for them find nearby. Okay, there are the Niagara and the Rheinfall falls but almost all waterfalls I know (in Europe) are rather small; high but small.

In relation to the surrounding area your fall seems to be okay (given that there had been a long time with a lot of rain before the picture was shot  ;)  :D). What I miss however is the big hole the waterfall should have dug out by now at its lower end - these "lakes" are usually some meters deep, so deep that you don't see their ground even if the water is very clean and pure.

A cru(cia/e)l point of these water falls / creeks are also the steep flanks. Couldn't get them right by myself, maybe a texture problem ... dunno

Take care

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

greckman

The last pics were nice, and these are even nicer. For me, the best part of the train is the locomotive and it's now easier to see.
CLICK to see my MD on SC4D: Towncrafter's World - The Cities and Towns of greckman

io_bg

Great update! Love that waterfall and the bridge next to it! :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

TheTeaCat

Well I liked the first set of pics- very much but there was just the one thing that had me going "huh?"
and that was the water coming staight out of the rock face  ::)

But the improvments make the whole area look much better. Good to see the river above the falls - much more realistic :thumbsup:

I agree also with Bernhard about the pools at the bottom of falls ;)

I was wondering if you are using a water mod? I think one that has a darker colour to it would look even better :thumbsup:

Still very nice pics all round mate and a nice tribute to Pat too &apls &apls

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II