• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mind Scape

Started by rooker1, February 27, 2007, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

io_bg

Great new update! I like the the park although maybe those fields are a bit too many :P
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

wallasey

This is some city you have going on here! Great stuff!

The tram network is most defiantly a turn up and go service by the looks of it!

art128

Hello Robin,
Excellent picutres there of this area my friend, I really loved the first one with the diagonal buildings, it really gives a different feeling to your city. ;)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

vortext

been lurking in your md way too long, great stuff as always  :thumbsup:

If you're still searching for groundscrapers, what about this one?
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

itsacoaster

Robin, your MD has inspired me to work with the CAM and custom growable buildings for the first time.  It took me a few hours yesterday, but I must say, I don't know how I ever played without it.  Now I can download my choice of growable buildings and add so much variety to my cities.

rooker1

Quote from: Exla357 on June 27, 2011, 08:25:45 PM
Glad to see another update! I really love the central tree zone cutting through that neighborhood area. My only concern is your use of Maxis baseball fields. They are a bit small, and they seem isolated from each other, kinda unrealistic if you ask me, as well as the scaling.

Other than that everything looks great!

-Alex  :thumbsup:
Hello Alex.  The Maxis baseball fields are now gone.  I wanted to put a bunch of them together as I did to make a baseball park.  I have several of them in my city with a similiar setup.  Thanks for stopping by and I'll post another pic of the field and you can tell me what you think.

Quote from: noahclem on June 27, 2011, 10:28:57 PM
I'm glad if you found my suggestion useful  :thumbsup:  I really like this update, especially as I'm kind of a sucker for diagonals and you've placed a very nice selection of Glenni's, Prepo's, and Mozukuss' BATS. I particularly like the clever placing of 6 of Glenni's diagonal/orthogonal transition buildings into a 270 degree curve. I think the sports complex turned out very well, as have the other parks.

Great update and looking forward to the next  &apls
Hello Noah.  I take all comments seriously and I did the same for yours.  I'm glad you like the diagonal section I did.  I found it rather difficult......I was so unhappy with several setups I had done.  Alot of building and demolishing happened in that area. ;)  Thanks for the comments.

Quote from: io_bg on July 07, 2011, 08:55:40 AM
Great new update! I like the the park although maybe those fields are a bit too many :P
Hello Ioan.  Always nice to hear from you.  Hmmmm, now that is two people that think there are too many fields.  I'll have to think about it and see if I can come up with something else.

Quote from: wallasey on July 07, 2011, 03:06:22 PM
This is some city you have going on here! Great stuff!

The tram network is most defiantly a turn up and go service by the looks of it!
Thank you very much.  I am very proud of this city and think it is turning out pretty well.  As for the tram line, it is rather small at this point and I am trying to get it al around the city.  It's a lot of work.

Quote from: art128 on July 08, 2011, 08:37:45 AM
Hello Robin,
Excellent picutres there of this area my friend, I really loved the first one with the diagonal buildings, it really gives a different feeling to your city. ;)
Hey Arthur, thanks for the comment.  As I said above, that area was a pain in the back, but I am fairly happy with the end result.

Quote from: vortext on July 22, 2011, 05:57:11 AM
been lurking in your md way too long, great stuff as always  :thumbsup:

If you're still searching for groundscrapers, what about this one?
Always nice to hear from a lurking, hopefully I'll hear a lot more from you now.  As for that ground scraper, I do have it already, but strangely enough I never used it on that city tile.  Thanks for stopping by.

Quote from: itsacoaster on August 21, 2011, 09:47:29 AM
Robin, your MD has inspired me to work with the CAM and custom growable buildings for the first time.  It took me a few hours yesterday, but I must say, I don't know how I ever played without it.  Now I can download my choice of growable buildings and add so much variety to my cities.
Always nice to inspire someone into using CAM.  It does take a really, really long time to get yourself set up, but once that is done, the game is totally different.  You'll never, ever see me going back now.  Thanks for the nice comment.  If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Now, now.  Everyone must know me by now and my attention span for a given topic or tile or map is very limited.  Well it has happened again and I have a new map.  I have already started my planning and even a little bit of work on a few of the tiles.  I have opened every tile and terraformed the problem areas.  I had to move a few rivers over and I slightly changed some of the shore line.
I so badly wanted to use RHW, but I find myself getting very fustrated and fast.  It's most likely because I don't know where everything is and in some cases I'm not even sure what I am really looking for or I most likely just past it several times over.  Anyways, I haven't done too much that I can't change my mind and comvert the Maxis highways to RHW.  We'll see.

The map is Al Capone Rides again in the Windy City, by drunkapple  The Chiago shoreline is the main part of the city is where I plan to keep my focus.......for now. ;)

I started a layout, I really liked it but there was some intersections that I wasn't able to do, so I had to go with a different layout.

Here you can see I did some work on the harbor.

Here is an almost finsihed section.  Not too sure if I am entirely happy or not.

So what do you all think?

Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Girafe

Really nice start Rooker,

Be careful to the bug regarding the transparent textures on the last pic  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

art128

Excellent harbor Robin! I love the detailing on the final picture. Can't wait to see more from you. :)

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

Quote from: Girafe on August 21, 2011, 04:49:36 PM

You are right Girafe, I should have noticed that one.

Robin  ;)
Call me Robin, please.

Yan077

Beautiful harbour Robin, in particular, I like the contrast between the wild river bed and the old dock, really beautiful  :thumbsup:

Sciurus

That's a really good harbour, well thought. &apls Wait for more about this new city :P

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Tomas Neto

Wow..., great work Robin!!! Very nice harbour!!!   :thumbsup:

bat

Fantastic work on the harbour! :thumbsup:

vortext

nice map & port. I especially like the underwater flora, for some reason I can never get it to look this good. More practice required I guess  ::)

Quote from: rooker1 on August 21, 2011, 04:28:51 PMI so badly wanted to use RHW, but I find myself getting very fustrated and fast.  It's most likely because I don't know where everything is and in some cases I'm not even sure what I am really looking for or I most likely just past it several times over. 

There are some pretty decent step-by-step tutorials on RHW interchanges and stuff, which helped me a great deal in getting to know all the different pieces and (im)possibilties the RHW has to offer. Maybe have a look at those.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Framly

Great Pictures! The Harbour and shoreline looks awesome &apls

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

dedgren

Robin- great start on that Chicago map.  The Windy City is my hometown (well, actually the burbs, but you know what I mean).  Great interaction with your readers, too.

You are headed for 100,000 views shortly.  Very exclusive territory.  But that's where Mind Scape belongs.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

rooker1

Quote from: Girafe on August 21, 2011, 04:49:36 PM

Thanks a lot.  You are right I should have noticed that transparent texture bug before taking the picture. &ops I hope you like the next pic without the bug. ;) ()stsfd()

Quote from: art128 on August 21, 2011, 05:12:53 PM
Excellent harbor Robin! I love the detailing on the final picture. Can't wait to see more from you. :)
Hello Arthur, always nice to hear from you.  I'm not too sure if I am entirely happy with the area, it may need some more touches and even worse.....I may need to move it down three tiles. :bomb: See below.

Quote from: Yan077 on August 21, 2011, 11:58:00 PM
Beautiful harbour Robin, in particular, I like the contrast between the wild river bed and the old dock, really beautiful  :thumbsup:
Thank you Yan.  Coming from the Master Artist of contrasting water, shorelines to cities......it does mean a lot.  Do you have any helpful hints for me? ::)

Quote from: Sciurus on August 22, 2011, 02:22:53 AM
That's a really good harbour, well thought. &apls Wait for more about this new city :P

Guillaume, thank you too.  You wouldn't believe me if I told you how long it took me to do what you see there. $%Grinno$%  About 6 hours......I'll tell the rest some other day. ;)

Quote from: Tomas Neto on August 22, 2011, 08:07:30 AM
Wow..., great work Robin!!! Very nice harbour!!!   :thumbsup:
Thank you Tomas, I'm glad you like it.  Thanks for stopping by.

Quote from: bat on August 22, 2011, 09:49:26 AM
Fantastic work on the harbour! :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot bat, nice to see you here.

Quote from: vortext on August 22, 2011, 10:16:12 AM
nice map & port. I especially like the underwater flora, for some reason I can never get it to look this good. More practice required I guess  ::)

Quote from: rooker1 on August 21, 2011, 04:28:51 PMI so badly wanted to use RHW, but I find myself getting very fustrated and fast.  It's most likely because I don't know where everything is and in some cases I'm not even sure what I am really looking for or I most likely just past it several times over. 

There are some pretty decent step-by-step tutorials on RHW interchanges and stuff, which helped me a great deal in getting to know all the different pieces and (I'm)possibilities the RHW has to offer. Maybe have a look at those.
I have read those tuts, but my problem is that I usually see something different and I can't find something similar that someone else has made.  See below and tell me what you think.  Thanks for the comment.

Quote from: Framly on August 22, 2011, 02:52:20 PM
Great Pictures! The Harbour and shoreline looks awesome &apls
Thanks Framly.  I am trying to raise my bar to at least a few notches below some of the other Terrain Greats.  I don't think I am there yet....maybe some more practise. ;)

Quote from: dedgren on August 22, 2011, 03:07:10 PM
Robin- great start on that Chicago map.  The Windy City is my hometown (well, actually the burbs, but you know what I mean).  Great interaction with your readers, too.

You are headed for 100,000 views shortly.  Very exclusive territory.  But that's where Mind Scape belongs.

David

Ahhhh David.  It really is great to see you around again and even better that you had some time to stop in and see my humble MD.  100,000 views will be a nice milestone indeed.
I hope you find my rendition of Chicago to your liking.  I a not trying to copy it by any means but I am using Chicago Google Earth for some inspiration. ;)

So here is my moment of Road Geekery...just for Alex (Tarkus)  :P ;)

When I started taking these pics it was well after I had tried doing this intersection 55 times before.  Each time things didn't line up, not enough space, made a mistake and when I tried to destroy a section it destroyed others......etc, etc.
I wish I could have had the avenure and the road right beside each other but the RHW will not draw over them both unless there is a space.   Hmmm.....to bad.
So I lay down the on slope and the ramp....

Add in the slip lanes, another genious idea. &apls

Now I drop down one of the mnay Master Pieces of RHW....too bad it's not raised, now that would really be impressive. :P ;)

Plop down some one way on slope pieces.

I need a little s turn to pass by those slip lanes.  Everything is going fairly good so far.  By the way, by this time I have done this intertion at least another 15 times and some of those times I needed to start fromthe begining. Don't ask why, just believe me.

Ahhh look at that, we pass over the road.

Now we pass over the avenue.  I am becoming more and more happy.

Let's sstep back and take a good look at things.

Marvel the different angles....

Ohhh, what's this?  A river....no problem.

Uh-Oh, there is a problem.
Now this is where I am stuck.  What next?  There are no raised bridges, are there?

That piece on the left is absolutely awesome!!!  But those pieces on the right bottom are very nice as well, but why isn't there opposite ones as shown above them?  Just a thought.

Anyways, I hope I have caught Alex's attention with my Road Geekery update.

I am leaving to go trailer camping early in the morning with the family for the rest of the week. 
I hope when I come back, my problem is all cleared up.  The only thing I can think of is to move the entire section over three tiles, build up some land on both sides of the river, use some on slope pieces and than build the bridge.  Or even easier for me is if someone made a new bridge that would fit here perfectly, (while I am being greedy) maybe even a draw bridge. ;) 
Anyways, just trying to be a little funny, but any ideas on what I should do?

Good night all.
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Tarkus

Quote from: rooker1 on August 23, 2011, 07:56:20 PM
Anyways, I hope I have caught Alex's attention with my Road Geekery update.

You have, my friend, you have.  That's a very interesting highway setup you have there, too--you've piqued my interest, and I'm really excited to see you giving the RHW a go.  That harbor is just absolutely jaw-dropping as well--I love how you worked the underwater flora and the lighthouse in there. :thumbsup:

Now onto some "shop talk":

Now this is where I am stuck.  What next?  There are no raised bridges, are there?

choco made a few awhile ago which are as-of-yet unreleased, for the ERHW-4 and EMIS.  They are basically finished, and I may merge them into the upcoming RHW Version 5.0 before the release.

That piece on the left is absolutely awesome!!!  But those pieces on the right bottom are very nice as well, but why isn't there opposite ones as shown above them?  Just a thought.

You can thank my good friend deathtopumpkins for making that particular piece there on the left.  I suspect it'll be among the first of the "larger" ramp interface pieces that will get the elevated treatment.  And as far as the ERHW-4 Type A ramp (the piece at the right bottom), it'll be getting an "inside" variant in Version 5.0.

The RHW does have a bit of a learning curve to it, though once you get the hang of it, it does open up a wide array of new possibilities.  I'm really curious to see what you'll do with the new version. :)

Hope you and your family have fun camping, and congrats on your imminent entry into the 100k view club. :thumbsup:

-Alex

Sciurus

What? 6 hours? Oh my God... it's too much for, I would give it up before! $%Grinno$%

About the update you made: it's always interesting for others to see how you build a road (here, an interscetion), because it shows which pieces you use, how you make it the more logically as possible and how you take the less place as possible too. So I love, it inspire me for the future! &idea

Still wait for more! :D No I joke, it takes time to do it. By the way, look at your private mailbox, I thinl you'll have one ::)

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

art128

Excellent road geekery, Robin! ;) As guillaume said 6 hours is also too much for me :D when it get to 1 or two hours I decide to give up and do something else! :D

Props & Texture Catalog