• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

With the exception of MIS, at-grade diagonal intersections with the Draggable Viaducts are not supported.  That's planned for a later date, but in this case, it's not a bug, it's a feature that doesn't exist yet.

-Alex

nietwu

Hi NAM Team!

First of all I want to say you have done really good work. I have install your mod and build a city as I always did in vanilla game but this time I didn't get frustrated that I cannot do nothing about all around traffics jams!

Then I plan to start using features provided with your plugin and I have stuck on FLUP items... When I am watching youtube videos it looks so easy to make some underpasses but in my case I am missing "random" items from FLUPS menu like basic "Strait underpass under strait road"...

Googling the internet I have found this issue: https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/759217-missing-items-from-nam-tab-rings-64-bit-mac-users/?tab=comments#comment-1749763 which seems to describe my problem but... I am playing this game on Windows 10 64-bit not Mac OS... and unfortunately the workaround with pressing ctrl + tab instead of just tab isn't working for me either...

I wander if anybody have similar issues on windows or I could get any suggestion from you what I can do to make it work?

Tarkus

Welcome to SC4D, nietwu!  The old puzzle piece-based FLUPs menus are strange beasts, and unlike pretty much anything else in the NAM, some pieces aren't initially accessible via TAB or Shift-TAB.  A number of the TAB Loop entries actually have multiple pieces under them, and one needs to rotate with Home/End with each item to access the full array of options available.

-Alex

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on October 02, 2021, 02:05:07 AM
With the exception of MIS, at-grade diagonal intersections with the Draggable Viaducts are not supported.  That's planned for a later date, but in this case, it's not a bug, it's a feature that doesn't exist yet.

-Alex

Fair enough. I am pining for a fix/support for this as well.

Tarkus

I believe it's just RHW-2, RHW-4, and MIS support on that one right now.  As NAM 40's big ramp interface expansion showed, continued improvements to the RHW's diagonal capabilities is very high on our list.  Probably not for NAM 43 or 44, with the way those releases are currently looking to shape up, though I suspect they'll still have a lot of features you'll find to your liking.

-Alex

danedwells

Hello,

I was kind of a lurker many years ago and recently reinstalled Sim City 4 and downloaded the latest NAM. Amazing how far it's come in 8 years. However, I quickly noticed this bug with the railway (see picture), and didn't see anyone else posting about it. I tried removing all non-NAM plugins and the bug still persisted. The bug seems to only affect diagonal railway splits - both with the flex piece and with the click and drag, the result is the same. Doing it the Maxis way (sharper turn) doesn't cause any issues. In the picture (attachment), the left is after placement, the right is the same thing right before placement. Is this a known issue/does it have a fix?

eggman121

Quote from: danedwells on October 12, 2021, 12:08:28 PM
I was kind of a lurker many years ago and recently reinstalled Sim City 4 and downloaded the latest NAM. Amazing how far it's come in 8 years. However, I quickly noticed this bug with the railway (see picture), and didn't see anyone else posting about it. I tried removing all non-NAM plugins and the bug still persisted. The bug seems to only affect diagonal railway splits - both with the flex piece and with the click and drag, the result is the same. Doing it the Maxis way (sharper turn) doesn't cause any issues. In the picture (attachment), the left is after placement, the right is the same thing right before placement. Is this a known issue/does it have a fix?

I think the cause is a folder called "z_NAM"

I think you have two conflicting INRULs.

Delete the z_NAM folder, (Or at least remove it from the plugins) and let us know if it fixes the issue.

Post NAM 36 (NAM 37 onwards) this folder is redundant and should be removed from plugins.

-eggman121

danedwells

That was it. I had forgotten all about the extra folders of the old NAM, and didn't realize the new one did away with it. Thank you.

Zeratai

Maybe this question has already been answered, but here I go. I recently installed NAM42, and run HCC Clone Cleaner to see if there where duplicates on my folder so I can reduce its size. The problem is that I'm getting a lot of duplicates, specially in the "Additional Networks" and "7 Bridges" folders. I attached a picture of the duplicates. The majority of them have exact name and size, with exception of 2 or 3 files that differs in size, but not in name. My question is: can I delete these files so only one remains on my plugin folder, and in case of the ones that differ in size, can i just leave the one with moro bytes? I like having well managed my folder and reduced in size.
Thanks

LucarioBoricua

The current policy with respect to NAM version installations is to do a clean install, that is, remove the previous version and install the new version directly.

We have not yet updated the Cleanitol file nor the Java installer to remove old files nor conduct the SLURP (Station Locator, Updater and Reconstruction Project), which modifies the programming of non-NAM transit stations to comply with NAM transit standards.

Zeratai

I did  clean install, no other pugins where on my folder. Both files come from the installer.

mgb204

If you did a clean install, you should just leave it alone and trust that it is correct. HCC Clone Cleaner or other such tools are very unlikely to understand the complex relationship and in some cases completely necessary cascading overrides that the NAM (and SC4) utilises. If you want to Optimise the NAM install, DAT Pack the Network Addon Mod folder after installation, literally any other method is more likely to break things than help and optimisation at this level is of practically zero benefit anyhow. I mean even if you have 500MB of unnecessary files (quite deliberately using a grossly inflated example here), are you really telling me you don't have capacity for that on your Hard Drive? Likewise, the loading time difference between having that and not is minor, especially if you are using an SSD. Once in-game, due to the way SC4 works, there would be absolutely no difference whatsoever in performance.

The point being, the NAM is very complex and what looks like it might not be needed, is usually not as simple as it first seems. The DAT Packer application is totally familiar with how SC4 files work and optimised so that any packed files will still contain everything you might need. We couldn't recommend otherwise messing with any of the NAM content.

Just as an example, you might have a new Rail Bridge, the default files would have been with the original Maxis Rail textures. An override is then included that re-skins the textures to the RRW style, but otherwise the same number of textures with identical IDs are in both files. However, without the first file you loose the actual parts needed for the bridge to work, whereas without the second you loose the new textures. DAT-Packer would combine both based on load order, ensuring it all still worked as intended, but a simple file-compare app is unlikely to understand such nuance, it just sees things which appear the same.

Zeratai

BigPaco2000

FLUP's never seem to want to work for me.

I'm always confused where to put the starter piece since it offsets by one when you place it. What exactly does it mean by "one tile in front of the tunnel"? Since the starter piece offsets by one when you go to place it, there's some confusion for me on where the "one tile" is actually located.

For the starter piece - does there need to be one on both portals?

Dragging the subway - where does it start/end? I can sometimes get the underground road to appear, and can see where it starts at the entrance tunnel, but how far does it need to go through the exit tunnel?

I encountered an issue with elevation as well. On a map that is level at 258 meters elevation, the subway/underground road is showing on the surface (i.e., when I'm out of underground view). Is this because it's too low of an elevation? For instance, when I use a 7.5 meter hole digger, a bit of water will show when digging just one click. To add, when running subway ex-FLUP, there isn't an issue with the tracks appearing outside of underground view.

Also, not sure if this is the same as RHW's version of the FLUP, but how to I get a road FLUP to travel under RHW? Do I need to run subway under it?

Thanks.

Wiimeiser

The draggable FLUPs seem to be in a weird state right now. They're completely broken in LHD for some reason, all but one of the tunnel portals is missing its paths, and the non-RHW portals have no text...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Wiimeiser

So apparently NAM 43 is missing all the data for LHD Flex Width Transitions for some reason. I already posted this on the Discord but I don't know if anyone noticed...

EDIT: It was an error on my end. My bad. But I did notice a minor pathing issue with one of the new FTLs, though I don't know if it's major or anything...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

als98

I'm trying to make this intersection but one of the cells is not overriding properly (see below). Any idea what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it?

Tarkus

That's an issue we caught internally sometime after release.  It'll be fixed for NAM 44.

-Alex

nickWtn

So I just installed NAM 44 and noticed in the release notes that it say's "Additionally, Avenues can now end at T-intersections with the Road/NWM Type 110 configuration, with turn arrows provided by the new Avenue Type 020 FTLs." However I can't seem to get this to work, I've provided a screenshot of what I see which I had to put on imgur because it was to large for this site, please let me know if this is hopefully just something working on my end.  Ihttps://imgur.com/a/AgugLn0

LucarioBoricua

Quote from: nickWtn on March 24, 2022, 06:23:10 PMSo I just installed NAM 44 and noticed in the release notes that it say's "Additionally, Avenues can now end at T-intersections with the Road/NWM Type 110 configuration, with turn arrows provided by the new Avenue Type 020 FTLs." However I can't seem to get this to work, I've provided a screenshot of what I see which I had to put on imgur because it was to large for this site, please let me know if this is hopefully just something working on my end.  https://imgur.com/a/AgugLn0

Alright, so there's a difference between the pieces. Based on the linked image (re-posted below without the link typo), you're trying to use the FTL 120 (this one adds a third lane for the left turns).

The piece you're looking for is this other one, the FTL-020, it appears just before the one you use in the TAB ring. FTL-020 is the one on the right side of this view. Place it on the lanes where the avenue approaches the end-T intersection with plain road or FTL-110 (the left turn lanes for road).