• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

mrb's Challenge 5

Started by mrbisonm, May 18, 2009, 07:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

Ready to receive orders.........make it short and sweet and I will spare you separatists!.....;).

Here are my maps, Tile I was recently built with the orders from matt325 in Challenge 4. You will own the southern half of my region.

fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

threestooges

I can keep it short and sweet, but we have much to do and little time to do it from what my spies tell me about the Governor's intentions.

First, we are happy with the present growth of industry, but we are sick and tired of worrying about food supplies and imports. Agriculture will be a big part of our development goals.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Before we get going here, I need to know what means of transportation the south is using besides rail (bus, streetcar, subway, etc) as well as what military and/or other defensive means we have at our disposal, if any.

We look forward to maintaining discourse with you over the course of negotiations here.

mrbisonm

The transportation system is quite simple, we have a railroad going from east to west and crossing the whole region, plus we have another one started in tile I with the orders from your former Leader, matt325. It has passenger and shipping railstations in tiles E and I. Also buses are available in those two tiles, probably more than enough you need. No other transportation system is yet available.
Since agricultural products are sufficient and cheap from the north, I don't think that the south needs them at all and the northern regionadministration is assuring that the south will never be in need of more, but mining or more industries might come in handy when it comes to better income for the southern government and the population.
Military is very limited in the south, nothing compared to what the north might be able to gather. The force of the south is the industries and economical situation, but workers are getting rare these days since there's no unemployment, nor welfare in the south. They need workers of all kinds and categories.
What your spy is saying may not be always be as true as the reality and I can assure you that the intentions of the north are peaceful, for the moment, and I am pretty sure that only the south has taken military actions sofar and the north kept its arms open at all times with peaceful negociations.
Remember that the only ones that closed their borders are on your side.
Hoping that this information will be useful to you, if not, just do not gesitate to contact me furthermore.

Mayor Fred

threestooges

Hope it's not too much trouble, but I'd like to see where the current bus stops are within the south at the current time. We are planning a number of developments in tile H, but we may do some restructuring of a few things in I (based on the information returned. Thanks for your help on this matter.

mrbisonm

No problem.

There are five bus-stations in the southern district. Three on the eastern side of the Tyle river (1 near the commerces, 1 at an important road intersection and 1 in the more southern part) and two on the western side of the river (1 at an important roadintersection and another one close to a small industrial park).

Fred

threestooges

Thank you very much for the information you have provided. I believe we are now prepared to move forward with our development and betterment on the southern regions.

As I understand the nature of southern development has so far led to the need for a number of workers. This will be one of the main focuses of our development at this time. We know that industry requires a large number of workers, and that they usually travel to more or less the same place. While dirty industries are necessary in the grand scheme of things, we would also like to prevent pollution as much as possible. To this end, though the bus system seems to be developing nicely (and you may continue to develop it at your discretion) a light rail network (GLR, El-Rail, and subway) will also be implemented. You may use whichever of the three forms you desire, though the costs of construction mean GLR would be the least costly, and subway would be the most.

Due to the development of a light rail network, we will focus our attention on tiles H and I. There will be very few additions to tile I besides the addition of the rail network. However, stations must serve all 3 major industrial sectors, the train station and surrounding commercial areas as well as major parts of residential development. We do not want to destroy any more existing structures than necessary, so you may have a tough task ahead of you. However there have been developmets such as GLR-in-avenue (not sure if we can build those yet) and GLR-in-road which should make additions easier.

This light rail network should connect to tile H as well and also connect the major zones. The number of stations needed to accomplish this task is up to you. We are not concerned with cost (construction or maintenance) within reason.

Development in Tile H will be best described by the following image:

As you can see, we will be constructing two new road bridges (primarily to avoid congestion, but that will also be aided by the light rail network). This extension of the road will create a major intersection and this intersection will form the basis of the southern regions CBD. For now, it should be low to medium density zoning (we don't need too much there yet, we're still developing). We will require the construction of a second train station there for the inevitable needs of entrepreneurs and tourists alike. This station should provide connections to the light rail network as well as the bus network if you continue to expand it.

The hill in this tile is one of the few high points of the southern region and we would like to use it to improve radio and other transmissions in the area. A few towers/antennas/dishes up there would achieve this nicely.

Since the river is such a natural benefit, we would like to zone plenty of residential along it. Low density please, but still covered by the light rail network.

To the northwest of the radio tower will be a fine place for the needed residential development. Though workers are certainly needed, we wish to ensure they have good living conditions. Schools, clinics, and parks will be necessary. Schools must have facilities such as open grassy areas, sports fields, and/or playgrounds for the students. Make sure they are grade-specific facilities (no American football fields at the elementary schools). The image above indicates a park is required in this area, you may blend the schools into this park to accommodate the student's needs.

Lastly, the rail stub from Tile I will be extended through Tile H with the intention of connecting to the mainline again. We do not have the opportunity to actually make this connection due to the limitations of the scope of our development. We hope that this connection will be made at a later date.

Please contact me with any questions or concerns you may have in regard to these orders.
-Representative and Leader of the Southern Region
Matt (threestooges)

mrbisonm

My dear Representative and Leader of the Southern Region

We have ackknowledged your orders and as we speak, they are being taken care of to the best of our capability. Since Lightrail is completely out of reach for us, first of all because of missing availability of materials and missing info and then for competance for building and construction, we will replace them by either EL-rail or subway, still under discussion and decision by the board of the responsables from our mainoffice in the north.
Your orders should be completely finished by the next weekend, mostly to present a good example to all other mayors in the same region and of course to your personal satisfaction.

with sincere intentions, I remain

Mayor Fred

Here are my orders to Splime:

My Dear Mayor

Thank you very much for the detailed map you have supplied.
Here are our demands. We would like to add somethings to the tiles F and L. Since they are somewhat not developped areas, we want to have them accessed and inhabited. A nice little village of at least 4,000 (max 10,000) Inhabitants that mostly would live from industry and fishing would be just perfect. Fishing is a big need of ours to feed our people in the west.

Starting in North Splimoville, you will connect a new road (in yellow) in tile F and bring it to the rails in the east, where you will create an intersection and bring one part south to where the rails were interupted and the other part you will connect to the tile L. You will also repair the rail connection, build a control point for the rails and create a rail intersection and connect it to tile L also. See picture 1.

Then you will continue these rails and roads to the east in tile L until you reach the shores of the sea. There you will build a small village with every necessary to have it organized. Since we know that you have excellent cityplanners at your disponibility, we leave it to you to build the small town according to the plan below. Create enough jobs for the population with industrial and commercial zones and build a small fishing harbour (in grey) that will look good. Power should not be too big, nor the watersystem, and because the power plant is built outside the town, it doesn't matter if it pollutes. Since we have some minor financial problems at the moment, we keep building all this in a more low/medium wealth matter.

At last, not least we would like to see one (1) big farm somewhere near the village in tile L.
Oh, and we want a church because we are believers! Don't forget.
I hope my demands are respected and fulfilled to our satifaction, we remain,

Leader of the Rebels

threestooges

Mayor Fred,

While ground level Light Rail would have been the preferred style, we understand that a functional network is what is ultimately required. We know that time may be short due to other commitments, but we would also be happy to provide whatever information is needed to clear up any questions of competence. We will keep an eye out for any further communications and will look forward to seeing plans completed.
-Matt
Representative and Leader of Southern Region

mrbisonm

I couldn't post last might because the site was down.

So here's my update to Challenge 5 and not at the last moment, although I have been more busy than I thought earlier. This Challenge was harder than I personally thought, I might even add a lot harder. Since I don't have any military props in my plugins, I had to go searching for them with the little free time that I had. So, I didn't come up with much of interesting military lots. But after almost 2 hours playing around in the LE I came up with some lots that might fill satisfyingly the demands of the Governor.

Let's show the results as in the numbered demands of Challenge 5:

1.  Checkpoints. Since I only had one checkpoint that was interupted, here is the reconnection of the same on the rebel's side in tile F. I know, it's kinda simple, but effective.

2.  The copy of the orders to my adversary has been already posted above.

3.  Separatist's orders:  In short the orders were to populate more the tile H, mostly around the hill and the river, that's what I did. Then I was asked to build EL-Rails, some communication towers, a park in the center of the residential area and to make a connection of EL-rails to tile I. Also a railsystem that services most of the H tile, connected to tile I and to tile E in the north.

All of that is done, just like the picture and the demand of Separatists above. Here are the five pictures to prove it.

That was a lot of work.....ouffff.

4.  Here's the army, navy and airforce part of the Governor's demand. Five pictures of six maximum allowed.

First the army with its temporary base. Some farmer's fields were taken over to build the base in tile F where the bridge over the river to the best access of the rebel's side. The army base was build just beside the military airfield. Soldiers are ready to be transported by either boats, trucks or helicopters and a dozen or so tanks are ready to cross the bridge.

Then the Airforce that was built just on the other side of the road in a big and dry field. After some bulldozing and packing of the ground and airplanes arrived from Capitol City. Fighters, helicopters and a radarplane are available for a possible confrontation now. Also some quick housings were provided for the pilots and some more for the army personals.

This is a view of both of them, to easily see where and how they are situated. All in tile F.

Because of the small river size, the Governor only send one warship, his biggest one though and what a Battleship. A temporary riverwall was built to be able to load the ship. Just the idea that this big battleship is in the small town of Central District North and very close to all the separatist's territory, it must be enough intimidation for the rebels to give up.

And to make sure that the intimidation message gets through to the rebels, two fighterplanes heavily armed are always patrolling the river, just a few yards into the enemy's land sometimes.

5.  Most scenic rails. Hm.... I don't have much rails in my region yet and I couldn't make a connection towards the mayor's side, because all the rails are in the rebel's territory, where I am not allowed to build. So, I will show you, what I think is more or less scenic, a picture from the Southern District in Tile H.

6.  Regionview in Transportation view.

7.  Regionview in satelite mode.

And that's it for my part of Challenge 5. Like I said, it was a lot of work, much more than I expected, so don't worry, now I know what you are going through also. I will take this in consideration, when I judge your updates. ;)

Good Luck everyone.

Fred

jmyers2043

QuoteThis Challenge was harder than I personally thought, I might even add a lot harder.

I'll not argue about that. I've not played the game since posting my challenge. Opened up gmax and continued on a building I am working on but closed the computer down after 15 minutes. Took a break Sunday. Watched some sports on Sunday. Good hocky game (Detroit vs Pittsburgh) . . . I grew up in Michigan. And as a kid I did some ice skating on the creek behind the house. Didn't play hockey - but I know enough to understand what's going on when I watch it.

I like the communications system on the hill.

I also see the separatist wanted to you build a tram system. What is it with these trams? My 1st separatist hinted at a tram in my future while the 2nd separatist actually ordered me to build one. After fiddling with them? I conclude they are nicely done although fussy things to work with.

Cheers - will be fun to grade your entry.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

BarbyW

Errm, Fred, why are your images all labelled Tile F when you were ordered to develop tile H? $%Grinno$%
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

mrbisonm

Quote from: jmyers2043 on June 01, 2009, 10:59:04 AM
I'll not argue about that. I've not played the game since posting my challenge. Opened up gmax and continued on a building I am working on but closed the computer down after 15 minutes. Took a break Sunday. Watched some sports on Sunday. Good hocky game (Detroit vs Pittsburgh) . . . I grew up in Michigan. And as a kid I did some ice skating on the creek behind the house. Didn't play hockey - but I know enough to understand what's going on when I watch it.

I like the communications system on the hill.

I also see the separatist wanted to you build a tram system. What is it with these trams? My 1st separatist hinted at a tram in my future while the 2nd separatist actually ordered me to build one. After fiddling with them? I conclude they are nicely done although fussy things to work with.

Cheers - will be fun to grade your entry.

I was glad when threestooges agreed to my offer NOT to build any tram, geeeez, i ve tried it once and freaked out with it to a point that I no longer wanted to play SC4. So I am glad now.  But you have done a great job with it. Really!  :thumbsup:

(Detroit vs Pittsburgh) ....hm....didn't I see that last year?....lol...history repeats itself.

Quote from: BarbyW on June 01, 2009, 11:13:40 AM
Errm, Fred, why are your images all labelled Tile F when you were ordered to develop tile H? $%Grinno$%

Hey Barby....lol....things like this happen when I am tired. Sorry about that, but actually all has been built in tile H as you can see on the regionpicture. ;)

Fred

threestooges

For reconnection, though it is simple, the extra touch with the police car bumps it up to a 3 for me.
Orders given to your adversary were clear. Detailed, but doable. 4
Making sense of the orders that knucklehead gave you: a full 4
Intimidation: While it's really odd to see fighter jets and heavy aircraft using a dirt runway, things seem to be in proportion to what's needed in the situation. The battleship was a nice touch, being built from what seemed to be a couple different sets. 3 (close to a 4 though)
The scenic train image was a tricky one for you. While it's not exactly scenic in the traditional sense, it seems you did the best with what you had available. That'll get it a solid 3 from me.
Total: 17 points.

soulchaser

Hey Fred, it's judgement time  :P

1. Checkpoints: The overall logical look is worth 3 Points. You didn't reach the 4th one, because it seems to be a bit fragile.

2. Made Orders: Detailed and thought through, with an extra spleen ;). Great 4 points.

3. Received Orders: You did a great job fulfilling the orders. Also 4 Points.

4. Military: Sorry, Fred, just 2 Points. I like the temporary, dusty look, but the battleship, the AWACS-Airplane and the number of tanks seem a bit too much. As well as I don't understand the colorfull jets.

5. Scenic Rail: I've expected something completely else from you, thinking of other pics I've seen from you. But it's nevertheless 3 Points.

As I don't remember if you've been in time, give yourself a bonuspoint.....or not. :D

This adds up to 16(+1?) Points.

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

BarbyW

My comments and points (by the way it is good to see things moving again :thumbsup:)
1. Checkpoint reconnection and security - I echo soulchaser's comment. A bit too simple and no additional security in the area. - 2 points
2. Orders given - excellent demands and made clearly 4 points
3. Orders fulfilled Carried out well although you ducked out of using GLR ;D 4 points
4. Military facilities Like Souchaser I found these a bit basic for the ground facilities but the warship and planes also jarred as being too much for the other facilities. There was too many planes for the dusty airstrip too. 2 points (I am looking at 2 as being acceptable not good)
5. Scenic Rail I think you strugled like me to find something scenic. A disappointing image from you as your landscape is generally much more scenic. 3 points

Total points from me 15 ( or 16 if you give yourself a bonus point)
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

jmyers2043

QuotePictures of all your checkpoints that have been re-connected and now are under control from both sides.

1. The check point looks good. I like the road cones down the middle of the street. Control does not necessarily mean ulta secure. And I think this GRV check point simply intends to manage the flow of people - like checking passports between countries. I did notice all the little blotches on the ground simulating where there was once a larger force present. I thought that was a good idea. – 4 

2. Excellent orders – 4

3. I think that you fulfilled the rebel orders good enough. In fact you were able to negotiate and got the rebel leader to change his order for a tram system to let you use a monorail instead. Both those rebel orders are totally illogical in my opinion based overall rural look of the city but you nevertheless fulfilled the demands. Excellent selection of a bat to use for the communications system on that hill  – 4

QuoteThe better the military bases are situated, the better the points.

4. I disagree with those who are judging military bases harshly. Many folk made very large military installations. I think that is contrary to the scope of what is supposed to be an 'overnight' rebellion and a hastily organized response. BUT - Military is difficult given that many GRV contestants don't bat and some had not even used the LE prior to the competition. There is also not a lot to choose from as those who have created Sim military props, lots, and buildings have usually done so in a big way. Making a quicly built military base difficult to achieve or simulate. The main thing for me is that the Governor stated that the better the location the better the points. I find that the location of Fred's military bases fit the need as they are located next to the river and easily seen by the rebels. – 3

5. I went through all the challenges yesterday evening as I had not looked at the pictures for some time. I think that your rail picture ranks up along with the top two or three. You even have a couple of my bats in that shot! Way to go Fred!  - 4

6. Point for being on time – 1

Total = 20

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

metarvo

Here are my scores, Fred.

Checkpoint - 3

Simple, but effective.  You get a score of 3.

Orders to Splime - 4

The orders were clear and reasonable.  The detailed maps make it clear where you want the development to take place.  You get a score of 4.

Response to Orders from threestooges - 4

Your successful fulfillment of the orders is good.  However, your successful negotiations really make you stand out in the crowd.  So, I've decided that the only score that applies here is 4.

Military - 3

It looks like the base lacks security measures such as fences and checkpoints, making it seem like it would be easy for someone to get in unauthorized.  However, I recognize that it is a new base, after all, and it certainly does have a good number of troops.  So, I'm going to give you a 3.

Scenic Rails - 4

Not only have you shown the rails as required, but you have managed to capture the Main St. look that I'm used to seeing.  So, this gets a 4.

Bonus for being on time - 1

You respected the deadline, so you get 1 bonus point.

Total - 19

Not bad, Fred!  This was a hard challenge, so I congratulate you for your efforts.  ;)

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

mrbisonm

Thanks for voting folks, appreciated.
So, here are the final points of mine, needed them to finish the pointsheet.
5 judgements equaling a total of 89 pts, including the 1 bonus point for having uploaded on time. 89 divided by 5 = 17.8. In other words, rounded up... =18 points  added to my total.

Thanks you all. ;)

Fred