• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Commonwealth of Eleutherian States (Updated 11/23)

Started by M4346, July 27, 2008, 11:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blade2k5

Well now.  That didn't take long :D  It is so nice to see a map I've worked on being used in this manner and I'm sure papab2000 will be beside himself with excitement :D.  I always like to see how others would envision and develop the maps I work on.  You now have my undivided attention as I get a front row seat and watch what you do :thumbsup:  

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

Simpson

Wow  :o fantastic updates here, the region is superb.
The update 10 is incredible and also so réalistic as well my friend. I'm looking forward to the next update ;)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

M4346

Quote from: Yoman on November 19, 2008, 11:10:00 AMLooks like a lovely place for a summer vacation, probably would be cheaper than all the hot spots as well :thumbsup: It will be interesting to see where you put the airport, doesn't look like theres a spot of flat land large enough (if my scale is correct, which probably isn't), Ocean runway anyone?

Thanks very much Owen! Both for your comment, and your query! :P You will have an opportunity to answer your own question yourself further down.  ;D

Quote from: Pat on November 19, 2008, 10:59:20 PMMarius nice update here and I like that map you have choosen to work on!!!

Thanks Pat! It's good to see you around these parts! And map? Pat, my friend, I have about 7 maps I am constantly working on!  :-[ I'm just very selective in what I show. :P But, and I am proud to say this, they are all high quality NHP maps by Travis, Troy and Rich!  ;D

Quote from: blade2k5 on November 20, 2008, 12:06:27 AMWell now.  That didn't take long :D  It is so nice to see a map I've worked on being used in this manner and I'm sure papab2000 will be beside himself with excitement :D.  I always like to see how others would envision and develop the maps I work on.  You now have my undivided attention as I get a front row seat and watch what you do :thumbsup:

Thanks for stopping by Troy, as usual, and thanks for your inspiring comments! I'm glad that I could be of service, by means of this update, today!  ;D

Quote from: Simpson on November 22, 2008, 03:36:49 AMWow  :o fantastic updates here, the region is superb.
The update 10 is incredible and also so réalistic as well my friend. I'm looking forward to the next update ;)

Kind words, and thank you very much for them! As I've said elsewhere, it's really a huge compliment and very inspiring to hear that it is realistic, as that is the benchmark that I try to achieve throughout! Thanks for stopping by and please do so more often!  ()stsfd()

11.1. A Zulu on my Stoep!

Today's update, if you can call it that, takes us back to ukuKhululeka Island, or Freedom Island, and if you remember correctly you'd know that the future of this Island was being discussed previously. But I do believe that the future is nothing if it is not informed by the events of the past, and so today we'll revisit the rather brief history of ukuKhululeka, and specifically why it has a Zulu name, thousands of kilometers from the traditional homelands of the Zulu people in southern Africa.

A (Very) Brief History of Khululeks

Khululeks (coo-loo-lecks), as it is affectionately known, did not always bear this name, which is in a tongue foreign to most native West Africans.  It so happened that, at the height of the Atlantic Slave Trade, a ship full of Zulu captives (men, women and children captured during an Anglo-Zulu war in Southern Africa) mutinied hours after their ship left the Portuguese port at Principe. While the Zulus are cunning warriors and known for their aggressive battles, they are not very well known for their navigation abilities or sailing, for that matter, and the vessel that they now controlled soon smashed into pieces on the cliffs at the southern end of the island.

Much to their relief - and despite a few casualties as Zulus are not well known for their swimming abilities either - they tasted freedom again, and the paramount chief at the time proclaimed: "siyakhulula!" which translates into the English language as "we are free!" The name stuck and the island became known as ukuKhululeka, the Island of Freedom.

A Zulu on my Stoep!

With Nigeria being a British possession at the time, the Zulu people on ukuKhululeka soon found at that they were not as free as they had once thought, and to ensure that they were not shipped off again they were forced to marry the local inhabitants of the island (West Africans by origin) and thus an interesting new dialect and way of life developed as languages, traditions and cultures merged and mixed.

But, sociolinguistics and anthropology is not our key concern here... what we are interested in is what now about the future of the island?! ()what()

The Dominion of ukuKhululeka

It so happens that the Congress of the Commonwealth passed legislation earlier this week which proclaimed Khululeks an autonomous region within the Commonwealth. This effectively means that the island and its people will govern themselves - appoint their own head of government and not answer to the President of the Commonwealth - but the Commonwealth reserves the right to make foreign policy, handle matters of national defense and military affairs exclusively.

Under the current arrangements the paramount chief of ukuKhululeka is the Head of State of the Island, and elections will soon be held to determine the Governor (the Head of Government).

What the Future Holds

Not wasting any further time, the interim government of the island has embarked on major development across the island with intensive financial backing from foreign investors with the aim of transforming Khululeks into the premier vacation destination in the region.

Apart from the infrastructural development - which includes the development of major highways and other transportation networks - the development of Cedar Shores Golf Estate enjoyed considerable attention.

The Gold Estate will include a number of upmarket residential developments and features a modern club house which also houses the estate management and administrative offices.

This is where things stand at the moment:

Click for large image!

The location of Cedar Shores Golf Estate:

Finally, because of the rapid development planned for Khululeks, the interim government decided that it would be prudent to consider the construction of an international airport on the island to deal with the future expected influx of tourists and businesspeople. The planning committee, however, is at a gridlock and this is where you come in!  ;D

They Committee has identified two possible areas to construct the ocean runway, but they cannot decide on which one of the two:

So, which location would you choose?  ;D

Thanks again for stopping by everyone! Looking forward to your input!

M

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

CarmineHilton

Fabulous island, good to that development has started!
And uhm... I'd go with location n°2 :)

Pat

Marius chalk up another vote to number 2 as well!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Simpson

Wow, the city is looking really good
I'd go with location 2  :)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas