• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Robin tries to BAT.....

Started by rooker1, August 27, 2009, 12:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbi

If a sim is 3m high, the height of a floor will be 4 or 5m. ;D

2010.8.4 - I get on SC4D with PSP. So cool.:D
2010.8.14 - I can get on the Internet at home.:)

rooker1

So I dedcided to continue on just so I could get something to put in game for the first time and see how everything looks.

Nothing spectacular, but I think it's complete enough to try to get it in game.
What do you all think?

Robin :)
Call me Robin, please.

scottott999

Add a little Yellow & black Hetrz logo on the building and sign out front and it looks like a rent a car dealership by my house

TheTeaCat

Looks great mate.
How about a little bit of roof junk?
Maybe darken the roof texture a bit. And a drainpipe for water runoff
other than that it looks great :thumbsup:
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

tag_one

Nice model Robin! Like TTC said it could use some dirt on the roof  ;)

callagrafx

Quote from: tag_one on August 28, 2009, 09:27:43 AM
They are somewhere between the 3 and 4 meters tall. Hard to tell. I normally use 4.5x2 meters for a door. With a height of 4 meters I still got the idea my poor sim will have a headache from time to time  :D

I used to (when I still had time to BAT) draft export then place a Maxis Sim on the LOT, to ensure correct scale with the in-game people...they generally came out around 3m or so.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

threestooges

Looks pretty good there Robin. just two things I would suggest: first being that you should add some roof junk (vent pipes, AC units, ducting, etc) take a look at comparable buildings on Google Maps or somethings for good comparisons. Also, and this is something that will develop over time, your textures look good, but very clean. That's fine for a new building, but dust, grime, and all will begin to have an effect on all buildings (more toward the ground that the top) so perhaps adding a color gradient (lighter at the top, darker at the bottom) would improve the walls. Good details on the front entrance, and I like the lip you added to the roof. Very nicely done. One last thing, and this varies from BATter to BATter, is you may want to vertically stretch everythin by 20% or so before export. The game seems to like to compress a bit due to the angle. Looking forward to more.
-Matt

dragonshardz

jmyers2043

Actually Tag_One gives good advice. I would generally make an emergency exit at the rear of a warehouse 4.5 meters and the front entrance door of a commercial building 5 meters.

Regarding proper height of a Sim. I downloaded the JBM Sim Ruler a couple years back. It is basically a 4X1X1 box with a very small sphere above. I am not that much of a trusting soul. So I set out to verify whether it represented the height of an in game Sim. I made a 4X1X1 box, made it into a prop, and lotted it with a bunch of other "real" Sims. What I saw was the very tip top of Sim's heads peaking ever so slightly above my 4 meter box as I moved the box around in the LE. Since the subject has come up, I checked earlier this evening using the XTool. Finding that most Sim People Props are 4 meters high. I'm happy to use 4 meters as my rule for the time being.

QuoteIf a sim is 3m high, the height of a floor will be 4 or 5m.

The height of some buildings are...

Bob's grease pit is 9 meters high
And the other Bob's Grease Pit is 10
Honest Carries Used cars is 8
Gustav's Knickknacks' is 7 (this one looks a bit squashed to me in game)
The Taco stand is 6 (though I can believe that one would/should be short)
Generally speaking Maxis buidings that are otherwise known as 'small shops' are 11 meters + or - a meter.

Obviously all buildings are not of uniform height in real life nor are they exactly the same in Sim City. There is a range that should be strived for.

QuoteNothing spectacular, but I think it's complete enough to try to get it in game. What do you all think?

Probably is - if nothing more than to check scale. Make it into a prop. Put it on a bare bones park lot and plop it near similar Maxis, SimGoober, Deadwoods, or JBSimio, etc buildings. Plop it near other Burger joints if its a burger place. Plop it near other gas stations if its a gas staion. Scale it up or down if necessary. Work on textures and other details next.

@ Robin - what paint program do you have and how receptive are you to texture comments?

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

art128

That little warehouse looks great Robin, I like the textures used !  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Leodido

nice small building, the textures works really great together.

Omnia, my first MD. Check it out!

Nexis4Jersey

rooker1

Here's something I was fooling around with at lunch yesterday and today.

What do you think?

BTW....I'm working on the roof junk to the other model.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

art128

What is it ? Looks like a wall of Prison..  :P
Anyway, great work Robin, the textures are really great and it's nice to see that there no repetition on the bricks, by that I mean the "switch" of the withe bricks and the brown one.
Good work. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Badsim

Quote from: rooker1 on September 01, 2009, 12:17:17 PM

What do you think?

First thing ? Like Arthur ;Jails . Like we have still so much in France .... and we have a very bad and justified reputation  for them - Amnesty International - ... ::)

Second thing ... Good BATers are generally - to be moderate - bad LotEditors ... and vice-versa ! Are you going to breake the rule like a very few others ?

Well , this thread was a great surprise ... Robin .  :)
I've heard from great BATers that the most important is the choice of textures .... both the model so far and the textures look excellent to me - looking not immediately repetitive  . :thumbsup:

I'll follow this thread and your progresses with a lot of interest . ;)

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

TheTeaCat

Nice one Robin  &apls &apls

those textures look so much better than the red brick ones you showed me earlier. :thumbsup:
Looking forward to where you take this ;)

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

rooker1

Just a quick update as to where I am right now....

There is actually alot more, I just needt bring it altogether.  But it's more night to watch the kids, no more time tonight. 
Watch out tomorrow though....
Robin  ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

threestooges

Good to hear you went with the important stuff and spent some time with your kids. Looks like you're making some progress though. Did the merge work for you like it should?
-Matt

rooker1

Hello all,
Thanks for stopping in and giving your opinions and help.

When learning something new for the first time, one finds out many things.  I thought I was prepared enough and I did follow most of the suggestions in the tutorials that I was reading, but I somehow still got a little lost.  So I started the Prison all over again.  Yesterday I spent the entire morning doing what I wasn't suppose to be doing at work, working on a sort of blue print for the Prison.  I have it entirely finished I believe with measurements and everything.  In the afternoon I restarted the prison in BAT and this is how far I got as of now.

This was rendered in draft mode.

As you can see I have decied to go about a few things in a different manner.  Each floor is separate...I thought this would be a good idea for two reasons.  1.  A different first floor texture, which I think adds some character to the overall look.  2. So it would appear to have more variations in the texture look of the walls.
Now with a definate plan things are going much faster. 

So what do all think now?  Better or worse?  Alot more details to go.....

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

_maciex_

Yay  :) First realistic prison for SC. Cant wait for upload  :thumbsup: