• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSlark

David,

Hope everything is okay in Tejas and glad to hear Heather is doing better.

What's it like to be out of the icebox? Also, if you're in the right part of Texas (that is, somewhere between San Antonio and Texarkana) be sure to eat some barbecue. And if you're in Houston or somewhere east of Dallas (Dallas isn't really Texas according to the REAL Texan I live with), try the sweet tea.

I understand that familial issues usually aren't that much fun, but try to enjoy yourself while in the South!

Cheers,
Kevin

PS: I didn't even realized I was #900 until David's post!

Shadow Assassin

Lots of pics over the last couple of days, David. Hope Heather's getting better quickly, too.

Anyways, I notice Shadow Canyon's not on your map - is it a ghost town? :P

If it is, it'd be... strangely appropriate. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

bat

great plan for an airport, david! :thumbsup:

(my 39th post in this md!)

dedgren

Just thought you all might as well get some benefit from my jet-lag insomnia.

A new township map noted with Lat and Lon.

All Lats, of course, are N, all Lons are W.  Here's a full-size version [linkie], which will open in a new window.

We'll celebrate 900 comments in the next post and talk some about airports.

'Night.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

M4346

Looking good! Although I'm not used to the word Township referring to 'normal' towns. In South Africa it has a negative connotation...

Anyway, I don't want to delve into that now, and I think it's inappropriate anyway. It's not really a negative connotation, but the reference isn't ideal either. *confused* lol

Looking forward to what you have in store for us!

-M-
New Horizons Productions

Heinz

well, the last few hundred posts have been flooding in like your RL matters, huh, david? i cant imagine how you give us so much great stuff to ponder on with all that's trying to keep you from sc4. you spilled the beans, too! that's good. real good!!! hospitalized? how come? i hope he gets better soon, my man. i really do. continued prayers for you and your family! congrats on 900! :)

Shadow Assassin

Fishwheel Township? Isn't that where Pineshore is? :P

*is slightly confused* The name is ah, unusual. What's the history behind it?
New Horizons Productions

M4346

It turns out that the use of the word Township is quite diverse, but as I said in South Africa it carries a stigma:

QuoteIn South Africa, the term township usually refers to the (often underdeveloped) urban residential areas that, under Apartheid, were reserved for non-whites (principally black Africans and Coloureds, who were put into separate townships or locations) who lived near or worked in areas that were designated "white-only". Soweto (actually a group of townships) and Alexandra are two of the most well-known of these.

During the Apartheid Era Non-whites were usually evicted from properties that were in areas designated as "white only" and forced to move into townships. Legislation that enabled the Apartheid government to do this included the Group Areas Act.

More uses: Township

Just random trivia...

CSX Housing Mamelodi is named after the township of Mamelodi to the North East of Pretoria in the Tshwane Metropolitan Area. More information about Mamelodi -> Click!
New Horizons Productions

chocolatemax

&apls Hey mate! 

I thought I should finally come out of hiding and make my first Simcity4Devotion CJ, sorry MD comment!  :P  And what better place the great Three Rivers Region!  Looking great by the way!

I was looking back at the last few pages, and you really love doing your own individual thing don't you!  Hehe, just about everything in your journal is creative and like nothing I've seen before!  You know, the history is great (I love the train photos by the way, always had a thing for wooden viaducts! Its unfortunate we don't get many in Melbourne!) and very compelling, not to mention realistic.  In fact, I am almost entirely convinced that TRR is real and you've just taken the real life history!   :thumbsup:

Nice Quads by the way!  I can't believe how quickly this journal, and indeed this site has grown.  Very impressive!  I'll keep admiring your work mate.  My best wishes are with your wife also.

Cheers, choco.
Holy Inferiority Complex Batman!

dedgren

QuoteFishwheel... The name is ah, unusual. What's the history behind it?

Here's a modern-day fish wheel [linkie] in Alaska.

Back later with some history specific to 3RR.

David

All image rights reserved in the original copyright holder.  Images are used in 3RR on this non-profit website under the Fair Use Doctrine.  The names have been changed to protect the innocent.
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

threestooges

Well isn't that interesting... I've never heard of a fishwheel until now (which is a part of what keeps me coming back... all of the good information). Speaking of good, I'm glad that you "spilled the beans" and I also hope that your son's hospitalization is nothing too serious and that he recovers quickly from whatever he has. You are a lesson in good time management and cura personalis ("care of the whole person" if I recall correctly... it is the name of one of the awards conferred by our school and within the economics department). Hope everything improves in Texas and continues to imporve in Alaska.

thundercrack83

So that's a fishweel. Makes sense, now. I like the new township map with the longitude and latitude lines on it, too. It looks great! I do have a question, though: What are the squares of higher elevations in places like the bottom-left quadrants of Broad and Leaf townships?

meldolion

Hi David,
hope Heather is recovering well, wish your texan son all (mmm I don't know how to express in english... in Italian would be "Ti auguro il meglio per tuo figlio" but translated word by word in english hasn't the same meaning...)

Me too never heard of a fish wheel, but is very similar similar to our italian "Trabocco" LINK which is used  for sea fishing...

threestooges

Quote from: meldolion on March 31, 2007, 04:47:04 PM
(mmm I don't know how to express in english... in Italian would be "Ti auguro il meglio per tuo figlio" but translated word by word in english hasn't the same meaning...)

If I understand my italian classes well enough, I believe it directly translates to (more or less) "I wish the best for your son" or "Best wishes/get well soon." Even if that's not the exact meaning, I still agree with the sentiments (both in english and italian).

Shadow Assassin

Heh, so a fish wheel's square, and is basically like a hamster wheel? :P
New Horizons Productions

Gaston

David,
     Hope your son in Texas is doing better.     Glad to hear that Heather is a bit better.    Hope you are having a safe and uneventful trip to the Repuplic of Texas[ Linkie ].    You know if you ever have a reason to be in Dubuque, you are more than welcome here in Mi Casa, amigo.    :)     
     Okay one question.   Where is the catch basin (tank) on that Alaskan fish-wheel?    ( I'm thinking it is under the boards. )   
     One other question...
           What township is Mount Gaston in?     For some reason I seem to think it was in Grass or Holly but I can't remember.
      Okay and one final question...(maybe)
          Are you still planning on finishing up the tutorial on seasonal lots.   The "using I-reader" section.  You really don't need to worry about it.   But if you aren't then you have to send me a copy of your seasonal lots.    ;D
        Have a safe journey, my friend.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Fred_Ginger

Ditto what they said, I hope Tristen (really like that name) is doing well, and am glad to hear that Heather is on the mend! :thumbsup:
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

BigSlark

David,

I had thought 3RR disappeared during the MD category shakeup yesterday, only to realize it has its own child board now. I feel rather dumb, to be honest.

I hope all is well with your son and wife, I've been keeping them in my prayers.

When you're ready to get back to Collaboration I'll be here, waiting patiently, while eying my giant, unruly beast of a plugin folder.

dedgren

Well, we're back after a bit of a break.  Wasn't really expecting to wake up yesterday and completely redo the Mayors' Diaries forums section before sundown, but there's never a dull moment here at SC4D.

Let me post sort of a housekeeping aside before we move on.  It's been going through my head for some time now that 3RR had moved on from being a simple Mayor's Diary into becoming... well, frankly, I don't know what it's become.  We get about three page views an hour here, 24-7.  We continue to average more than eight comments a day.  Collaboration and the buildup to its start seems to have caught folks' attention in a way I never imagined.  Think of what the growth of 3RR will be like when there's the equivalent of 15 or so mini-journals underway here.  Vizzini had a word for it: "Inconceivable!" [linkie].

As you have likely noticed, 3RR didn't make the move with the rest of the MDs.  I'm conferring with my colleagues as this is written about where on SC4D it would best belong.  Right now it's in a temporary home under the former Mayors' Diaries topic.  Don't worry, when we move to our new permanent home on the website we'll make sure we point everyone in that direction.

So, we've just passed 900 comments and our friend Kevin (BigSlark) was the 3RR Regular* who took us over the line.  Looking back, everyone knows what that means...

Kevin, welcome to Big Slark Lake.

Over toward the eastern boundary of the region southeast of the Wyler Mountains the Des Plaines River widens into a small but pretty lake.

Here's a bigger version of that map [linkie], which will open in a new window.  Here's another location map.

Here's a pic from along the south shore of the lake.

The town of Rushford, not visible in the picture, is immediately around the point to the left.  Big Slark Lake Regional Park is a small day-use park at the western end of the lake.

Here's the Gazetteer entry.

• Big Slark Lake (Lake - SE Quad Loon Twp - lat. 48° 36' 58" N / lon. 94° 43' 01" W (center) - elev. 860 ft/262 m amsl.)  Big Slark Lake (fmr. Loon Lake) is an 82 acre/33 hectare natural lake on the Des Plaines River about seven miles/11 km north-northeast of the river's mouth at the Hotham Inlet.  The name "Big Slark" is taken from a fabled giant six foot/1.9 meter Northern Pike (Esox lucius) reputed to live in the lake and feed on the occasional angler when the moon is full.  The town of Rushford (pop. 1009 (2000)) is located on the south shore of the lake.

So, Kevin, there you go.  You are now a true part of 3RR.  Collaboration's just ahead!

David

*  A 3RR Regular is, as we have repeatedly noted, anyone who has ever commented on 3RR or at 3RR-ST at least once.

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Shadow Assassin

Is the Head Park Ranger of Big Slark Lake named Kevin, by any chance? :P
New Horizons Productions