• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BSC Texture Index

Started by geoffhaw, August 20, 2007, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonshardz

hey, new (ish) guy here and i would like a texture range please!

geoffhaw

dragonshardz, your range is F3680000 to F36FFFFF

dragonshardz

XiahouDun

I'm in need of an IID range please. I have 62 textures to add to the game (and possibly 10 more within the next few days). Thank you.
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

Khiyana

Can I have a texture ID, please?  &kiss
I want to make some custom textures.....thanks in advance!

geoffhaw

XiahouDun, your range is 0xF3700000 to 0xF377FFFF   

Khiyana, your range is 0xF3780000 to 0xF37FFFFF   

Khiyana

dragonshardz

hey geoffhaw, you keep a list of this right?

So exactly how long is said list?

completely OT, bite me if you've got a problem.

XiahouDun

Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

geoffhaw

Quote from: dragonshardz on October 03, 2007, 03:46:09 PM
hey geoffhaw, you keep a list of this right?

So exactly how long is said list?

completely OT, bite me if you've got a problem.

Ummm, I'm not sure I understand the question...
But if it helps, we've allocated 121 different people ranges so far.   ;D

dragonshardz

i was asking how long your list of ranges is.

Xiziz

In hopes of getting a range sooner, im asking here too(i sent a PM over at ST yesterday i think(or the day before that)), and im iching to get my textures into the game now :P

Also i thought it might not hurt to request publicly eh :) Il need for atleast 10 textures, mightaswell take some extras just in case.

Thanks

Serkanner

Quote from: dragonshardz on October 04, 2007, 04:16:29 PM
i was asking how long your list of ranges is.

No, you didn't. Try phrasing your questions more clear the next time.

geoffhaw

First of all...

Xiziz, your range is F3800000 to F387FFFF   

With regard to how long the list of ranges is, that's a tricky one.

In theory, the total number of IIDs available is from 0x00000000 to 0xFFFFFFFF.  (That's 4,294,967,295 in decimal.  Quite a lot, I think you'll agree.)  However, a huge number of these are not available for various reasons.  We avoid allocating IIDs starting with a 2, for example, because these tend to be the IIDs used by Maxis.  We also avoid those starting with a 4, because that's the range that the FSHman program automatically defaults to, and 5 because of a request some time ago to avoid potential clashes with transport textures.

That still leaves a lot left.  In the early days, the ranges allocated were quite large - way too large in fact.  I now allocate ranges that have 524,287 IIDs in them, which should be more than enough for the average user. 

Should we ever get to the stage where we seem to be running out of IIDs to allocate, we can always go back to some of the huge ranges that were allocated in the early days.  Lookng through the list, some of these users have not been heard of in years, so there would be little danger of IID conflicts if these IIDs were reallocated.

JoeST

Is it possible for someone to create a list of the users with ranges? this would be useful when people are missing textures (like  me lol)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

geoffhaw

I used to publish the Index at Simtropolis, but I made the decision to stop doing this for a variety of reasons.

The main reasons were that the index is in fact a quite complicated spreadsheet, and transforming it into something that is simple to read is a real pain.  Also, a couple of times people just looked at the index, and started using IIDs from apparent gaps in the ranges, which caused one or two problems.

The simplist way that I can help is if you are looking for a texture and you have the IID, just put a post in this thread and I'll try to identify it for you (or anybody else).

JoeST

well who made texture 0x00000000.... lol it says I'm missing that   ()what()
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

geoffhaw

Quote from: star.torturer on October 07, 2007, 10:37:58 AM
well who made texture 0x00000000.... lol it says I'm missing that   ()what()

I have absolutely no idea.  Needless to say, we haven't allocated any ranges starting at 0x00000000.  What Lot is it used on?  If you can let me know I'll have a look, but with such a 'daft' IID, no promises!

Andreas

It might be possible that someone used this as a trick to point the game to an invalid texture in order to achieve a transparent base texture. Of course, there are better methods than that, such as deleting the LotConfig property lines alltogether, followed by a ReIndex of the LotConfig.
Andreas