• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Costa del Tuskalusa-from Territory to Statehood

Started by BigSlark, September 15, 2008, 07:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSlark

Welcome to Costa del Tuskalusa!
from Republic to Territory to U.S. Statehood

Welcome to Costa del Tuskalusa! This is the story of a small republic in the northwestern of corner of North America as it transitions from being an independent republic to a United States Territory to a member of the United States of America. While its a physically small territory, CdT features a diverse economy and is a cultural melting pot due to no trade tariffs and an open immigration policy. A neutral nation, the government strives to spend its revenues on education, health care, and public infrastructure; despite these efforts much still needs to be done in order to raise EQ levels and average life expectancy.

University of Tuskalusa, built 1862, has not seen any major upgrades since the installation of electricity in 1911 and parking lot construction in 1955. The institution can only accept 25% of applicants due to the lack of space for classes.

Originally a Spanish Colony, Costa del Tuskalusa broke away from the Spanish Empire in 1745 when the Russian Empire attempted to claim the land as their own the Spanish Crown did not defend the colony, despite this they managed to fight off the Russians, and as most of the inhabitants were French at the time, they joined French Louisiana. The territory was ceded to the British Empire as a result of the French-Indian War that occurred thousands of miles away on the other side of the continent. During the 1760's and 1770's over 20,000 British settlers arrived in Cicudad Tuskalusa (today known simply as Tuskalusa) and English became the de facto language of the region, with roughly 10,000 French and Spanish speaking residents becoming the minority. At the outset of the American Revolution, the residents of Costa del Tuskalusa came to the conclusion that they too could form their own Republic. They virtually copied the American Declaration of Independence and later United States of America's Articles of Confederation word for word, except that there was a central government and local parish councils, the region was not large enough for true states.

Old Spanish Fort at the original colonial community of Santa Marta. The stone streets are from the 1750's and some Colonial Spanish buildings still stand.

Just visible is the Old Courthouse in Tuskalusa (City) which was the location of the signing of both the Declaration of Independance in 1778 and Articles of Confederation in 1783. It was built by the French in 1757, since then, Tuskalusa has been the administrative capital of the nation.

At the beginning of the 21st century, the economy was becoming unsustainable and the NAFTA was eating into profits from being a transshipment point between North America and Asia, and joining the United States of America became the only way to ensure the continued prosperity and well-being of the small Republic.

Small, unprofitable farms in Aberdeen, which is located on the Back Bay of Tuskalusa

These manufacturing plants in Lawrence are unable to compete with their overseas competitors and have reduced their output, laying off hundreds of local citizens and causing a serious recession in the town.

The mining that occurs in Costa del Tuskalusa is one of the few growing sectors of the industrial economy. This is Port Arthur on the Port Arthur Mineral Railway, the coal shipped from here comes from the Cold Valley Mining District across the Sierra de la Costa Norte.

Come and join me as we watch this odd little country undergo the biggest transformation of its history-from a small republic to a booming member of the United States of America and global economic powerhouse!

rooker1

Hey Kevin,
It's great to see you back and doing a MD.
I love the map, love the story and my favourite picture is the one with the bridge.  It won't take long for this fine MD to take off.
&apls
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

mbsimcity

Great map!  I can't wait to see what you have in store for us.

SC4 - Large Airport Builder project

Sciurus

Good. It's a nice city but a bit too squarred... ;)
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

art128

very nice start here on your MD  &apls all your picture are very good  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Simpson

Hi  ;)
Great start on your MD here ;) your city is looking very and I love your fields  &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Tarkus

Hey Kevin--great to see in the MDing realm here.  First off, your region looks fantastic. (NHP Kettlewood?)  The university and the surrounding is very realistic, and I enjoyed the backstory, too.  I can't wait to see where you go with it, and I'll definitely be coming back for more!

-Alex (Tarkus)

BigSlark

Costa del Tuskalusa
Replies

Robin (rooker1): Thank you posting the first comment, its great to be back in the community and I'm sure that MD'ing will be a pleasant experience. I really like that photo myself, I accidentally rezoned that area for high density commercial and I didn't think it had any charm left...who knew?

mbsimcity: Thanks! The map is all NHP's work, the name of it is Kettlewood. I've really enjoyed building on it and tweaking it here and there. Please come and comment again!

sciurus54: I'm an American, things are sort of square here, especially when it comes to cities and towns established during the 19th century (1800's). I attempted to replicate the long, narrow lots found in the former French colony of Louisiana along some of the bays and their backwaters, those will be featured in a later update.

art182: I'm appreciate you stopping by, Art!

Simpson: The fields in the valleys are really some of my favorite areas. Watch for a feature on the farming communities of CdT in the near future, Simpson.

Alex (Tarkus): Thank you for the warm welcome to MDing, you are on the money for the map. The university area just kind of happened to be honest, it got wedged between a bay and a working class residential area. The "new campus" and its mass transit options will be featured in the future, so keep your eyes pealed.

I've had a long day at work, so no update tonight, but tomorrow...

Since I like input and want to give the readers what they want, would you all see a closer look at the A2(M) Highway: Pacific Ocean to British Columbia or a detailed look at the three oldest communities in Costa del Tuskalusa?

Cheers,
Kevin

rooker1

Either one of those updates will be fine with me just as long as we eventually get them both.  ;)

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Pat

Kevin great start here in MD'ing!!! I love the history that you done here for CdT, also if you dont mind me saying that SMP made a wonderful mod here [linkie] that I think you might find usefull...  Cant wait to see what update you run with...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

BigSlark

Costa del Tuskalusa
The A2(M) Highway: Pacific Beach to British Columbia
The Teaser!

1-1

San Pedro is the a small industrial city at the mouth of the San Juan River on eastern Tuskalusa Bay. The city is the junction of the A2, M2, A8, and A5  highways as well as the junction of the Tuskalusa Terminal Railway, the Burlington Northern Santa Fe to Spokane, Washington, BC Rail to Prince George, British Columbia, and the state-owned, Kansas City Southern-operated Vancouver, Tuskalusa, & Whitehorse Railway. From here, the M2 and the Terminal Railway cross the San Juan River, skirt the cliffs of Mount Tuskalusa, and then cross Mahamanto Bay to enter the City itself. As you have probably gathered the town is an important transportation hub.

This photo shows the east side of town, the north-south graded right-of-way is for the A2 Bypass Road that connects to Cinco Rios and the east-west right of way is the real M2, at this point the bridge over Bayou Laforche hasn't even been graded for yet, and the final design for the high bridge over the river is still an engineer's dream.

You're probably asking why is there the A2, the M2, and the A2(M) highways? And why do they all seem to be in the same space? Stay tuned for the full update, when the wackiness of the Costa del Tuskalusa Department of Transportation Development and Operation comes to light...

Cheers,
Kevin

Simpson

Hi ;)
Very fine pic and city here  :thumbsup: this géneral pic is looking very réalistic   :thumbsup:
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

art128

your city is just superb my friend , very great work  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

amapper

That is a great map and choice of terrain. I like how your region is developing and it's diversity.  &apls

DFire870

Wow, what a great start to an MD! The region view looks fantastic with all of the development, and I love the farms (I see many of those types of rectangular farms here in Texas). Can't wait to see what's next!

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Pat

Kevin loved the teaser pic here and I am wondering what that wacky DOT is up to lol....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Schulmanator

A very interesting start. I look forward to seeing more of this area as you continue to grow it.  :satisfied:
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0