• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Commonwealth of Marathon

Started by thundercrack83, November 05, 2008, 02:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooker1

Hey Dustin,
I'm still very sick.  Can't beleive this cold is stronger than I.  Well at least I have some drugs now, after the second trip to the doctor.
Anyways....I like what I see and as long as everyone is making suggestions for this avenue area, I do have one more.
In the picture below I have circled the area in question.

What do you think if you were to make a bidge over that section of the avenue?  You know what Dustin.....I always try to be as honest as possible to everyone when I give my opinion.....and well....some of the roads in this area seem a little redundant.  It would be different if there were some biuldings to travel to, but it is just on big park.  On the next ring, will there be some shops or buildings?  If so...maybe I should just sit back and relax.  ;)
I'll look for you later, it looks like you are havinf just as good of a time creating this area as we are watching you.
Keep it up my friend,
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

carkid1998

Looking good!!

I keep forgetting to post(I lurk! :P)

I do agree with rooker1 though! maybe some houses or shops? After all, there needs to be sims to enjoy your suberb lots!
Sendona... Coming soon!

nrmn67

I am reading your MD from the beginning and like it a lot. A lot of effort goes into your lotting.

I like the new place. I hope you will also place some diagonal buildings, maybe in Paris style?

Ah, and one of your diagonal lots on the right side of the dome is rotated wrong.

Looking forward to the next update!

homefryes

Hey, Dustin ... Looks like your offline furniture moving has carried over to online lot-and-circle moving! I like the new placement for the round-about and monument; I was afraid that so close to the cathedral the monument would detract. Your new placement is a great choice. I also like the "reflecting pond" or canal idea. That would be a really nice touch.

Meanwhile, I look forward to what's next for the diagonals!

-- Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

Nexis4Jersey

wow this starting to take shape , slowly but steady , coming together as a nice area  :P

Battlecat

It's coming together beautifully.  I think the new location for the roundabout fits the area quite nicely! 

Jmouse

Thanks, Dustin - that's some valuable information about plopping seasonal trees. Symmetry and balance in game is a frequent subject of conversation, and I like the way you're dealing with it here. You still have a few challenges ahead of you, and I know this isn't as easy as you make it look.

I do like the new location of the roundabout, and look forward to seeing how the next series of fill-ins turns out.

Later...
Joan

dedgren

Robin (rooker1) has a good idea- perhaps one of those FLUP things to take the ring avenue under the twin roads- then you have a straight shot view from the front steps to the obelisk (and vice-versa).  I look at this and keep thinking of Pierre L'Enfant and his plan for Washington, D.C. [linkie].

Can't wait to see where this heads.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

KoV Liberty

Actually I do like the roundabout where it is because it will not block the church anymore fom view and more people will now see the statue when they drive by which is a big plus. And most statue like that are not right in front of the building either. Also have you taken a look at Pegasus' Ave. Medians? They replace the old ones and look more modern than the Maxis ones. You can get them at Simpeg.com. All you have to do is redraw the Avenues. Anyways I love the new area!  :thumbsup:

Alex

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

thundercrack83

Pat: Thanks so much!

Arthur (art128): Thank you, Arthur! Actually, you've brought up a good question! We'll have to look into that! Take care!

deathtopumpkins: Thanks, my friend! I'm not sure what will happen if the sidewalks change to concrete...I never thought of that! We'll just have to see what happens, eh? Thanks for stopping by!

metarvo: Thank you!

mightygoose: Thanks so much! And, yes, you're correct—3RR's definitely the first, I misspoke! Sorry about that, my friend!

bat: Thanks, bat!

Robin (rooker1): Hi, Robin! I'm so sorry to hear that you're still not feeling well, my friend. I do hope that the doctors can get your straightened out soon, as behind under the weather is never fun for any length of time. As for your suggestion? Hmmm...

carkid1998: Ha! Thank you so much! And don't worry about forgetting to post, you can catch up any time, my friend!

nrmn67: Welcome to Marathon! I'm glad that you're enjoying things, and thank you so much for catching my mis-rotated piece! Hope to see you again soon!

Don (homefryes): Hi, Don! Moving furniture, even when done flawlessly, is never a very good time, and it almost never goes flawlessly. This project wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, though, probably because I didn't have much time to think about it beforehand! I agree with you about the monument, too—it would have detracted from the cathedral, now that you mention it. Hope all is well with you, my friend!

Corey (Nexis4Jersey): Thanks, Corey!

Battlecat: Thanks so much! I'm glad you like it, my friend!

Joan (Jmouse): Hello, Joan! I'm glad that I could be of service to you, my friend. I learned that lesson the hard way. I posted one season, only to go into the game and see them disappear the other three seasons! Thank you, as always, for your support, my friend!

David (dedgren): Hi, David! Robin's suggestion? FLUPs? I like where this is going! Now that you mention Pierre L'Enfant, it's pretty obvious that he's been subconsciously guided my work with this, I think. I've always found Washington, D.C. fascinating, especially since it was planned from the beginning. I guess L'Enfant was the Will Wright of his day. Thanks so much for suggestions, David! Hope to see you again here soon, my friend!

Alex (Driftmaster07): Thanks, Alex! I agree with you on the placement of the roundabout, too. And thanks for the idea for the medians, too! I'll definitely be looking into those, my friend. Take care!

It's great enough when our friend David (dedgren) offers his advice on a situation here in Marathon. But when not just David, but also Robin (rooker1) weigh in? Well, Marathon could not ask for more!

Here's a quick recap...

Robin and David's suggestions?

Outstanding! That strip of avenue is gone, replaced with FLUPs!

And to add...

a massive 2x24 lot, which is still under construction, but I was too excited to wait!

Here's a close-up of my favorite part—

Stairs leading to a subway station, as well as a bus stop. Unfortunately, as I suspected though, the idea that Jon (JBSimio) had earlier, seconded by Don (homefryes), about a reflecting pool didn't quite work out they way a wanted it to, since the areas is only two tiles wide. No worries, though—I've got another place for that in mind!

Finally...

...another milestone on the horizon! Thank you so much, friends!

Oh, and I'd also like to wish our great friend Dan (dsrwhat316) a Happy 22nd Birthday! Enjoy your day, Dan!

In a bit!

JoeST

Tis looking superb, as always :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

deathtopumpkins

Hmmm... Wouldn't the stairs to the subway station run into the tunnel below? :P they do look pretty nice there though.
As for the tunnul itself, any thoughts about separating one of Marrast's avenue underpasses instead? That should be a functional solution that, IMHO would look better than the FLUPs (no road texture ;) )
But these are just suggetions.   It would still look very impressive without taking them.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

rooker1

Dustin,
Ever felt so sick that when you start to feel just a little better you feel like a million bucks?  Today's start is pretty good for me, I'm feeling much better today.

The interactiveness of this MD is definately the draw.  I love how you take everyone's suggestions and put them to great use.  As for the area...well it looks great too.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Simpson

Hi Dustin  :)

Those pictures are looking really nice, but I would like to suggest something to you (like I'm not really god in english I made a picture)

Black: that's maybe the roads you can remove.
Blue: those crossroads are not looking really nice in my eyes.
Green: you can maybe continue the large avenue here
Also, you can use more often nam curves, this will be more realistic  :thumbsup:

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say  :) This area will be certainly something incredible, as well, at the end  &apls

I'm looking forward to the next update  :)
Take care, my friend

David

EDIT: Also congratulation for more than 1400 replies here   &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

mightygoose

i was unaware that so much of this developement was going to be plaza, and so far i am inclined to agree with simpson, anything more than the 8 large avenues radiating from the centre square seems to be excessive, and i would also agree with extending the main boulevard out the other side of said square.

having criticised there, i would like to say that the boulevard centre lot is magnificent.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

JoeST

Maybe you should turn some of the roads into SAM streets...?

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Sciurus

Hi Dustin!

Oh, I didn't come there for about 3 days! :D Too long. I missed 2 updates, also too much! ;D So, to I put right. Those 2 upadtes I've missed are beautiful, it's so wonderful in automn &apls I love. I agree with David for some roads. But I also propse you to grow BATs next to the cathedral. It's too empty. Bessides, there's noone on the streets. But I thnik that there will be someone one day, I hope so! ;D You know, in Europe, Cathedrals waere and are always in the middle of cities, and there's a lot of old BATs. :thumbsup:

Your french friend, Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

art128

Hello Dustin,
Your LOTting job always amaze me my friend ! - I like the idea to add sunken stair to the subway, great touch of realism. Also, the big green rectangle (don't know how it's called...) along the avenue is excellent. Also, the place you prefer is also my favorite in the strip..
One thing, Did you plan to make all this big hexagon just with plazas ? Because I think too much that didn't looks great..  ;)
Looking forward to more. and.....         excelente trabalho sobre este lote amigo! (Excellent work on this lot my friend ! )

Take care,
-Arthur.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Dark_Jedi06

While the layout is not wholly realistic, I certainly think it makes a wonderful piece of art and something incredibly gorgeous to look out. ;D

Sometimes that's more important than realism. :) I'm very much enjoying Marathon, as always, I like the way you show things step by step...I'd be abhorred if I showed anything but the finished product. ::)
...this space to be filled soon...

Luke09

Hey Dustin great pics  $%Grinno$% ,i liked the avenue divider that u maked,its beauty,and that is a mix of bus and subway station? ()what()
Keep it up
Tu és
Time de tradição,raça,amor e paixão,
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo