• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bipin's BAT Boutique

Started by Bipin, November 20, 2011, 01:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankU

Gugu3

Excellent stuff as always

noahclem

Very cool work you're continuing on here Bipin  :thumbsup:   You're getting some funky shadows on that loop model you might want to touch up a bit.

Bipin

Thanks for the kind words you three. Unfortunately, due to the way some of the pieces are LODed and how Matte/Shadow/Reflection materials are used, they will inherently create weird shadows. I can't really find a workaround for it, so I think I'll just get rid of all shadows. Not perfect, but I agree the shadows are undesirable in the current state and this could help fix that.

Bipin

It's been a little while, but here's an update:

I've noticed a lack of gas station BATs in recent years, which is something I hope to rectify.

Hopefully, these BAT will fill the need for those gas stations, especially for the North American folks out there!

These two structures will be among several that make up the complete pack. I've designed them to be within the realm of a typical roadside gas bar; minimal and utilitarian, albeit quite tepid.

In addition, I will add a variety of pumps and garages to what is seen above. I will also make a far more modern and cleaner version to counteract these BATs. Enjoy!

Girafe

Looks good, the work with the textures is amazing  :thumbsup:

a full TE lot with the gas station would be awesome   ::)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

deora

Oh Grand Master Bipin strikes back.
Now that you mention it, you're right, we need more and better looking gas stations.I only have two in my Plugins, the Corner Gas Station from the elevated Highway Deco Set and a growing ARALVwich grows like weeds on 3x4 Lots and it looks too new.
Your newest creation is indeed awesome.That rusty texrure of the steelroof is just superb.Can't wait to see more of your work.

noahclem

Beautiful looking gas station model &apls

romualdillo

The building looks great!!! The textures are excellent, specially the metallic roof!!   &apls

Bipin

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm glad each and every one of you likes the tepid cesspool of rusty, molding and otherwise deteriorating textures! I feel as though grunge is my specialty, so I'm glad my hard work is paying off.  :D Here's more of that tactile goodness:

[/img]

The rusty, deteriorating textures are so grotesque, they've almost gone full circle and become beautiful again. :P

rathefalcon

One of the awesome things about grunge is the amount of detail that can be put into it thanks to the imperfections of weathering and aging. And I must say that you have captured all aspects of grunge with mastery in these gas station signs. :thumbsup:

On a side note, I was looking back a few pages on this topic and spotted those RHW guardrails. It seems the download link has died... is there anywhere else I can get my hands on those?

Bipin

Quote from: rathefalcon on August 16, 2014, 12:27:40 PM
One of the awesome things about grunge is the amount of detail that can be put into it thanks to the imperfections of weathering and aging. And I must say that you have captured all aspects of grunge with mastery in these gas station signs. :thumbsup:

On a side note, I was looking back a few pages on this topic and spotted those RHW guardrails. It seems the download link has died... is there anywhere else I can get my hands on those?

Thanks for the kind words! As for the RHW guardrails, I believe I have what you're looking for: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B18TZfo7TG3QYkMwYXd1SVZ1NVU/edit?usp=sharing

noahclem

Great work on those signs for the gas station, including lighting  :thumbsup:

Bipin

Quote from: noahclem on August 21, 2014, 04:37:11 AM
Great work on those signs for the gas station, including lighting  :thumbsup:

Thanks! I tried some new lighting techniques. I'm glad they've paid off.  ;D

Bipin

Here's a quick update; one of those tacky variable message signs:

What good are variable message signs if you have nothing to advertise? Perhaps we need some gas pumps:

Those, along with some more gas station canopies:

I also plan on doing MaxisNite renders. Next up, you can expect to see lots. If you have any suggestions for props or buildings suitable for gas stations, let me hear about them. Enjoy!  :grin:

Girafe

The props are really cool :)

I had many ideas but the fact is that this gas station is more from old US style than recent european one  ::)

Anyway keep the good job  :thumbsup:
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Bipin

Thanks for the kind words Girafe. I wanted to do something based more upon my own surroundings, as opposed to the less geographically specific work like retaining walls and whatnot that I often do. My next project after this one is released will most likely be finishing up those retaining walls, or a modern modern gas station with heavy European influence, akin to this: http://thisispaper.com/Atelier-SAD-GAS-Station Now, onto the current body of work...

Sorry for the double post, but I just had to share these pictures. This gas station stuff (the DarkNite version) is almost ready for release.  :grin:

Don't forget to click to view full size. Enjoy!

APSMS

Quote from: Bipin on August 30, 2014, 03:07:27 PM
Thanks for the kind words Girafe. I wanted to do something based more upon my own surroundings, as opposed to the less geologically specific work like retaining walls and whatnot that I often do.
You mean geographically? ;D

Very nice work on the gas stations. I wonder if it would be possible to do some 76 or Texaco or Gulf (or Conoco, though I'm not sure if any of those were in Canada) stations as well? I don't mean to make requests, of course, but it can't hurt to ask.

I especially like the grittiness, though the inclusion of handicap spots obviously marks it as a current gas station. Those spots are often missing even from new stations (in the US at least).

Also, is the Shell sign missing a shadow parameter? It seems to be lacking one.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

seraf

Very nice work :) It looks very realistic, in the this-station-saw-better-days way :)

Bipin

Quote from: APSMS on August 30, 2014, 03:54:15 PM

You mean geographically? ;D

Very nice work on the gas stations. I wonder if it would be possible to do some 76 or Texaco or Gulf (or Conoco, though I'm not sure if any of those were in Canada) stations as well? I don't mean to make requests, of course, but it can't hurt to ask.

I especially like the grittiness, though the inclusion of handicap spots obviously marks it as a current gas station. Those spots are often missing even from new stations (in the US at least).

Also, is the Shell sign missing a shadow parameter? It seems to be lacking one.

Hah, yes, I did mean geographically. I had just got back from watching a very strange film (experimental action comedy, perhaps) with a couple of friends late at night and was not thinking clearly.  :D

In regards to those handicap spots, I'm surprised to hear you say that. We always have a wealth of handicap parking spots at businesses young and old here in Canada and, as far as I can remember, in the US. I took design cues from three gas stations which we typically find ourselves at when crossing the US/Can. border. Usually, as in the case with this work, my goal is to create structures that hearken to their past glory days, but fall into disrepair and neglect in the face of the current postmodern era. Relics of the past that survive into the present day, often supported by just a little rusty steel and duct tape.  :thumbsup: I think the cars are covering it in a couple of my in-game pictures, but you'll see that some of my gas stations simply don't have handicapped spots. Perhaps this was just me forgetting to add them, or maybe I sensed that someone, somewhere would be dissatisfied with my stringent albeit unrealistic adherence to the Americans with Disabilities Act. Thus, I got lazy in lot editor to make things more life-like, I have omitted these necessary parking lot retrofits.

As for 76 and Texaco stations, I used 76 as a reference for my colour scheme. Naturally, I plan on doing 76 and Chevron as I already have a lot of work done. Besides, when it comes to my gas station lots, Shell needs more competition besides that no-name "GAS" brand with their big, hulking, rusty white sign. If I don't make new awnings, I'll at least make more than these two signs, to suggest different brands. Speaking of signs, that Shell sign never seems to create a shadow, no matter how I render or position it in lot editor. There is a bit of a shadow, it appears only on the rotation seen in the first picture though.

Quote from: seraf on August 31, 2014, 03:31:13 AM

Very nice work :) It looks very realistic, in the this-station-saw-better-days way :)

Thank you! That's the look I aim for, so I'm quite happy to hear someone else sees it that way too.