• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bipin's BAT Boutique

Started by Bipin, November 20, 2011, 01:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bipin

Quote from: matias93 on January 04, 2016, 05:47:49 PM
Consider also that rightmost lanes usually have more tire marks due to exits and cars stopping to the shoulders. It would be great (and most surely really difficult) to have random diagonal tire marks caused by emergency braking.

Unfortunately that can't be done without some sort of overhanging lot plopped next to the highway. Samerton tells me that each texture is repeated, one after another, and there is no way to make it procedural.

mgb204

It would be possible to create an overlay texture and apply it to an S3D prop. Using transparency, it would only need contain the additional markings. You could then T21 this onto the network with properties to make it appear random. One problem with this approach is that props will not adapt to any slope on the road. Thus if one appeared on a slope, it might look quite bad. There is a possible solution to this though... If you set the T21 to appear only for one wealth type, you could ensure they never appeared on slopes by ensuring that wealth wasn't in use in such situations. That said, still very clunky and probably not something users would utilise much, just saying it could be done.

Bipin

Yeah, I was considering T21s, and while I like this idea, I feel like it has some weird restrictions (slopes and wealth as you mentioned) that would cause some frustration amongst people. I think it would be easiest to have overhanging lots where "if you want this skid mark/pothole in this road here, plop this lot here" seems straightforward.

David H

Quote from: Bipin on January 03, 2016, 06:46:58 PM
Quote from: mgb204 on January 03, 2016, 03:03:55 PM
Quote from: kei00051 on January 03, 2016, 02:26:57 PM
Looks brilliant! &apls &apls
Sorry if I'm talking like an idiot but can we possibly make "starter pieces" for those concrete highways?

If by that you mean making them an optional override so multiple styles can exist, such as the SAM networks, then no.

Unfortunately, that is beyond our control. Now now, I know what you're going to say... Despite what you may think though, Samerton and I are not modding gods, we're geniuses at best.  ::) :D

This, however, is completely under my control:

So let me know what you think!

Looks like a nice new home, should go nice on a 2x2 lot with zero yard on it. ;) (Very common in the US for new houses to have no yard)

mattb325

The new R$$$ houses are looking lovely!  &apls

Shark7

Quote from: David H on January 05, 2016, 06:55:25 AM
Quote from: Bipin on January 03, 2016, 06:46:58 PM
Quote from: mgb204 on January 03, 2016, 03:03:55 PM
Quote from: kei00051 on January 03, 2016, 02:26:57 PM
Looks brilliant! &apls &apls
Sorry if I'm talking like an idiot but can we possibly make "starter pieces" for those concrete highways?

If by that you mean making them an optional override so multiple styles can exist, such as the SAM networks, then no.

Unfortunately, that is beyond our control. Now now, I know what you're going to say... Despite what you may think though, Samerton and I are not modding gods, we're geniuses at best.  ::) :D

This, however, is completely under my control:

So let me know what you think!

Looks like a nice new home, should go nice on a 2x2 lot with zero yard on it. ;) (Very common in the US for new houses to have no yard)

It depends on where in the US.  Big cities with limited room, very common.  In smaller towns (like where I live) having a yard is a crucial selling point.  Personally I'd love little to no yard since I hate mowing the grass.  &mmm

Nice houses though, would look really nice as part of a gated community.  :thumbsup:

dyoungyn

I think the houses look GREAT.  Even better with a yard at which a swimming pool an other luxury landscaping can fit in a gated community in the suburbs.

c.p.

These are looking good so far. :thumbsup:  If you like lotting, you could make bigger and smaller lots (some with good-size yards and some without) for different growth stages.

Bipin

Thanks for the replies and kind words everyone, here's a quick update:

Since I want to keep with using driveways, something I did with my previous houses, I think I'll keep these ones on tiny 1x1 lots.That way, the yards can be whatever size you want, and you can plop the correct driveway on an addition overhanging lot (for diagonal, curved or ortho road) depending on the situation. This will prevent you from growing the wrong lots, and waiting until you get the right one out of many ortho/diag variations.

mgb204

A texture says 1,000 words :)

Great stuff, it's been a while since you made the Dispira and contemporary condominiums. The quality of your houses especially stood out for me, so it's nice to see some new ones.

reddonquixote

These are great, I loved the Dispira residence, nice to see something new.  :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

mattb325

I love these! They sure look like family-homes with those dinged & dented garage doors....I wonder if it was from kids playing basketball or learning to put the car in gear  :D

romualdillo

I'm just going to say that they look exactly the same way as seen on Canadian TV programs.  :D Great work!!  :thumbsup:

JP Schriefer

Bipin

Thank you for the replies everyone, I'm glad to hear you're all on board with this project! I'll have pictures of an updated version tomorrow. By the way, the garage doors aren't actually done; that's just a random, white texture I had placed on them.  ;) These will be complimentary to the Diaspra in that they'll be of higher wealth ($$ and $$$). Thus, they'll have larger lots. This means they'll work especially well for areas with curves, diagonal roads, etc. Of course, I want to keep using driveways. To do this, the best solution I've come up with (and one I've described before) is to have these driveways manually plopped for each house. I'll have prop families or diagonal, FAR, ortho and curve driveways, and you get to chose the one that best suits a given situation. To keep things simple, my houses will be on 1x1 overhanging lots, and the driveways will be too. Thoughts on this system?  :-\

compdude787

Having the houses be on overhanging lots seems problematic to me. Sure, if you plan to develop an area that has these houses in them, you can do your zones in such a way that the buildings won't overlap each other. But keep in mind that SC4 periodically redevelops RCI zones. So, you'll have a 1x1 zone that is surrounded by other houses on adjacent grid cells, and then one of your houses develops on that zone and completely covers up the surrounding houses. That would be annoying! And, trying to demolish them while your city is growing seems like playing whack-a-mole.

But I really like how these look! Typical McMansions of modern-day suburbia. :P
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Bipin

Quote from: compdude787 on January 21, 2016, 06:25:28 PM
Having the houses be on overhanging lots seems problematic to me. Sure, if you plan to develop an area that has these houses in them, you can do your zones in such a way that the buildings won't overlap each other. But keep in mind that SC4 periodically redevelops RCI zones. So, you'll have a 1x1 zone that is surrounded by other houses on adjacent grid cells, and then one of your houses develops on that zone and completely covers up the surrounding houses. That would be annoying! And, trying to demolish them while your city is growing seems like playing whack-a-mole.

But I really like how these look! Typical McMansions of modern-day suburbia. :P

Ah, I see what you're getting at, and that is indeed a problem. What about a compromise? The house is on an overhanging lot, but only by a half or third of a tile. The part which the house overhangs would be where you plop the driveway lot. I want to minimize the space required for this since it would look kind of funny having a whole tile between houses, but I think a half to two thirds of a tile between houses would be appropriate.

Bipin

Here's a quick update!

A little grungy, perhaps, but that can be toned down.  :thumbsup: Speaking of grunge, I plan to release my decrepit, derelict strip mall soon!

Girafe

Good job  :thumbsup:

There are so huge, I am really wondering how they will look like IG  &Thk/(

I would suggest to have little dirtiness on the roof or some small elements to break the monotony of the tiles
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

mattb325

These look really nice! I don't mind the grunge at all, it's very subtle. One thing I really, really like is the broken hip roofing, so few batters use that  :)