• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Eden: The New Frontier

Started by Terring7, December 13, 2010, 11:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomas Neto

Impressive the development of your martian city!!!  Is better and better, my friend!!!   :thumbsup:

kodlovag

Very unique MD. I like it.  :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, welcome to Archipelago

danielcote

Great job! I like this so far.  &apls

Terring7

Tomas Neto, kodlovag and danielcote: Thank you for your comments my friends :) . Please stay tuned, more interesting surprises are coming soon :)

Back to Eden
Update 13: Second Teaser

"An empty canvas is a living wonder... far lovelier than certain pictures"
Wassily Kandinsky

While this is true, an empty space is a little boring place to live. So I'm working in a little project.

This picture was taken by Mars Pathfinder. Here we can see plenty of rocks, stones, boulders and dust.

In SimMars Beta 3 however we can see dust, dust, dust and more dust. Oh yeah... and dust!

No stones, no boulders, no rocks, not even a tree in a small dome. Very empty, isn't? So now I'm working those days in a small addon that makes the Martian terrain more realistic. More pictures are coming soon :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Dantes

Hello, your future on Mars is really great and I look at my already longer.  :) Simmars your project very much and I believe it's missing is the Mars Rover. 

Terring7

Dantes: Hello there and thank you for your comment :) . There is an addon with a rover exploring Mars, but the file is corrupted and downloading is not recommend &mmm

Back to Eden
Update 14: A Planet Called "SimMars"

"O God! I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams"
William Shakespeare

My most favorite games ever are Simcity and Spore (both by Will Wright and Maxis :thumbsup: ). In those games you can create your own universe in a nutshell, full of imagination and as complex as you decide.

(Both the above pictures shows mine creations, an ecological city in Simcity 3000 World Edition and my alter-ego civilization in Spore)

Simcity 4 is no exception, especially with all those cool custom stuff that allows you to build anything you want. From mountain rural towns to extra large metropolises. From medieval to the future, from Europe to planet Mars. This topic is mostly a showcase of some of my creations for SimMars Beta 3, as well as some interesting pictures from my colonies. Hope that you like them :)

The Martian surface in SimMars is barren. No stones, no rocks, no boulders. Also you can't "plant" rocks like the trees on Simcity. A bit boring, isn't?

So i made a collection of lots that covers the barren Martian surface. Now it's possible to add stones, rocks and other items to make the Martian surface more interesting.

So many rocks. Perfect place for the native animals to build their nests, especially the Martian bears

Those lots can also be very useful as fillers and for the creation of Martian parks.

No more empty industrial zones. Now it's possible to fill them, making the industrial places even more nice.

So don't surprise if you see skyscrapers next to factories ;D

Those lots can also be useful to create visual expansions for the airspaceports runways. The airspaceports on Mars doesn't need miles of runways, but some extra expansion is still welcomed.

And to make the Martian surface a bit more interesting, how about trees in mini domes? ;D

O.K., before keep going, please read this. Mars reject the Monetary System and established the Resource-Based Economy, where all goods and services are available without the use of money, credits, barter or any other system of debt or servitude. All resources become the common heritage of all of the inhabitants, not just a select few. Because of this, there are no rich and poor Sims. However Simcity 4 use the Monetary System, so you need rich and poor Sims. This is unacceptable. So i decide to replace the economical classes with technological classes.

$$$ Sims replaced by Cybs, SimMartian with robotics prosthetics.
$$ Sims replaced by Bals, a hybrid between Cybs and Gens with both cybernetic and genetic prosthetics.
$ Sims replaced by Gens, SimMartians with genetic prosthetics.

O.K., back to the update.

An another modification in SimMars is the addition of some extra vehicles. SimMars Beta 3 has already a small collection of medium wealth Bal cars, while more vehicles are now under creation.

However those medium wealth Bal cars are the only automata on SimMars. So i add some Terran vehicles that fits on Mars as much as possible. The Kewet Buddy fits very nicely on Mars, as the cars of low wealth Gen SimMartians.

On the other hand, Koenigsegg CCXR is a great choice for the high wealth Cyb SimMartians.

Vandy freight trucks doesn't fit perfectly on Mars, but they are the only trucks that i can use. Finally the roads of the industries are not empty anymore.

Need a bus? This double decker bus made by Oppie fits nicely.

And what about trains? There are no trains yet for SimMars, so i need some Terran trains for my railroads. This is a German freight train made by Oppie.

BR 143 is the only passenger train than can be used on SimMars. Thanks to those train, my primary railroads are not empty anymore.

Back to my loting creations. This is a small airspaceport, very useful for small remote colonies. It's not functional, but I'll try to make it.

Need a rescue team? Something goes really bad in the colony? The military and rescue base is always ready for action.

Something else that SimMars Beta 3 really needs is a set of trail paths. Paths are very common on Earth, so why not on Mars? I also made some extra Martian plazas, to bring some extra variation in the recreation facilities.

Those paths can be also very useful to built mini roads.

Evillions8 suggest me to check the B.S.C. path textures. As you can see, the result is great!

And something interesting. How about plopable buildings, that can be placed anywhere you want?

I also played with grownable buildings. Those white homes are for high wealth Cybs SimMartians. Making their lots a bit smaller, those houses can construct everywhere.

A 6x6 grownable "village" of medium wealth Bals SimMartians.

This is a low wealth Gen apartment building, the tallest building in SimMars! By making it's lot smaller, i can have this giant much more often, saving me from serious crises.

In December i released a mod that relots the Martian buildings, making them available for Earth. Martian buildings on Earth. Time for the opposite, Terran buildings on Mars. This is a low wealth Gen apartment building, originally made for SimMars.

This is a high tech factory that makes robots. The pyramidal shape is cool, but it's cyan windows are out of place. I guess we can imagine that the cyan color is by the windows themselves and not by the reflexion of the Terran atmosphere.

Same with this high wealth Cyb apartment building. We can imagine that the windows has the cyan color to symbolize Earth, the origin of SimMartian.

Notice those 2 black, arcology-like buildings? Those are high wealth Cyb apartment buildings too.

And a mini teaser, a new colony for the next update. It will takes me some extra time, but this colony will be very interesting. Please stay tuned :)

The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

noahclem

Wow you've been busy! I've never been a Sim Mars guy but this is impressive. Good luck with the colony and look out for Martian bears ;)

PS, beautiful SC3k screen shot!

Dantes

That's incredible. Especially the second last picture I really like as a fan of Babylon 5 and is reminiscent of the futuristic Mars.

bat

Nice work there with SimMars! It is looking really beautiful. :thumbsup:

Bill_Chen

It's getting bigger now. MARS is a very unique type of game play. I hope you can keep the good work there. :thumbsup:

My first MD here : The Urban construction diar

Framly

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

Tomas Neto

Wow..., amazing update!!! Your martian city is fantastic!!!   &apls

Reikhardt

The second from last shot is fantastic  &apls Reminds me of a really classic 1950's /60's vision of the future!

Terring7

A virus stroked my computer. I saved my colonies, but there is a possibility to lose those colonies because of the virus.

Eden will be back!
The Choice is Ours
---

Reikhardt

Best of luck fixing your computer! Sorry to hear the bad news.

Shark7

Quote from: Terring7 on April 14, 2011, 11:21:18 AM
A virus stroked my computer. I saved my colonies, but there is a possibility to lose those colonies because of the virus.

Eden will be back!

Ouch, sorry to hear that.  I lost my SC4 stuff back in Dec '09 due to a HD malfunction.  It took me over a year to get things working right again (ended up having to get a new computer).

Terring7

noahclem: Glad to see that you like it :) . No reason to worry about the Martian bears, they are herbivore and totally friendly ;D

Dantes: Thank you for the comment :) . Babylon 5, plenty of memories :thumbsup:

bat: Glad to see that you like it :)

Bill_Chen: Thank you for your comment :) . The Martian playstyle is not the most impressive or the most realistic, but sure the most unique. The SimMars team made a great effort for this mod and I'm very happy for that. And no need to hope, cause Eden will always messing around here ;D

Framly: Glad to see that you like it :)

Tomas Neto: Thank you very much :)

Reikhardt: Thank you very much :) . Because I'm a collector of futuristic visions, especially the older one who was more optimistic, can you remember the vision itself? As about the virus, I forced to made a great rebooting. It's sucks because I need to reinstall SimCity again >:(

Shark7: It's truly painful, but always remember that cities can rebuild and programmes can restored. No reason to cry for something that can be fixed :)

Update 15: The Show Must Go On!

"My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairy tales of yesterday, will grow but never die,
I can fly, my friends!"
Queen

Some days ago, a virus stroke my computer. It forced me to reboot my computer, so I'm reinstalling Simcity. However my colonies and custom lots are safe and unaffected, so Eden will keep strong. By the way, I have a nice collection of pictures from all my colonies, taken just before that virus attack. Hope that you like them :)

Hope-1

Logic-2

Faith-3

Love-4

Fun-5

Life-6

(Under construction)
The Choice is Ours
---

Tomas Neto

Good news see your return!!! Awesome update again!!!

Risu

netmod

Whoah  :)

How do you get those buildings plopped without crashing  ;D
mooooooooooooooooo...