• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Alex' Belgian BAT Thread

Started by alex_bervoets, May 16, 2011, 10:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supremec

I love your town hall Alex  :thumbsup: and with a beautifull lot  &apls

And I love the castle you're making, it's a good start! :)
Click on the banner to see my BATs

alex_bervoets

Done some work on the North-side... had some troubles with the roof at the both ends, but it seems OK now:

Still to do: 4 large round towers, inside and lights

Orange_o_

You do really good work.

If I had one criticism it would be the color of the walls that I find too orange compared to the actual building. Can you try to get this?

Yours

Mine

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

DerChrischi

peter007

Oh yes it sure looks fine.
However I think the front needs a red and a orange texture.

Girafe

it looks correct, keep going on this way  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

alex_bervoets

Quote from: Orange_o_ on October 28, 2011, 07:49:08 AM
You do really good work.

If I had one criticism it would be the color of the walls that I find too orange compared to the actual building. Can you try to get this?

Yours

Mine

Here's a close pic from the entrance building... it has the same bricks as the castle:

So it seems you're about right... my colors are too orange. I'll adjust the textures!

mattb325

This model is lovely! &apls

I can see that you have used the mirror function in GMAX.

This function has a bug and I would recommend avoiding it: the tell tale give away is the texture on the left-most small tower has become distorted. I would just clone the roof from the right-hand tower and rotate it 90 degrees to overcome that issue.  :thumbsup:

alex_bervoets

Well... actually, I didn't use mirror. I've had some problems with it when I was building the Belfry of Ghent so I stopped using mirror...

That roof is a rotation of the other... but I had to use "edit mesh" to make ik fit with the other roof. I guess that caused the distorted texture... I'll see if I can fix it

alex_bervoets

New texture:

north side (back):

too red?

And I've added the shapes of the large round towers to have a complete idea of how it's gonna look:
South side (front):

FrankU

Ahhhh! The color is much better now.
Otherwise the model is becoming very convincing. It's improving!  &apls

kelis

It is a stunning job ! The New texture looks so good and very realistic, I can't wait to use it !

&apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Orange_o_

Ah! Here are some nice textures. Go on, that's fine.  &apls

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

nbvc

Looks great. &apls Maybe a bit older wood for the drawbridge in front?

alex_bervoets

Here is the new update:

towers are finished
roof is fixed
Drawbridge has new texture
concrete base added
(water is just for showing how it would look, will be removed in export)

mave94

I like the concrete base texture. The roof looks much better now. Is it possible you forgot the middle tower?
In the two main towers there is a 'line' going thru the windows.
Besides that, it's a great building :thumbsup:

alex_bervoets

Quote from: MrMAvE94 on October 31, 2011, 09:58:44 AM
Is it possible you forgot the middle tower?
Ah yes... and the two smaller ones beside it too...

Quote from: MrMAvE94 on October 31, 2011, 09:58:44 AM
In the two main towers there is a 'line' going thru the windows.
The line has to be there, it's the same line as in the main building, I have to make it less "eyecathing"

Thanks for the comments!

supremec

That is beautifull!!  &apls  &apls I will use it!
Click on the banner to see my BATs

FrankU

Ahem... cough cough.... Concrete base?
It could be the result of a bad restoration, or the whole complex is younger than I thought, but usually these kind of castles is older than the use of concrete.
Although the Romans used a kind of concrete for their constructions, in Northern Europe the real use of concrete begun in the 19th century. I guessed that the castle was older.

But it looks real good! And maybe I shluldn't be so picky?

alex_bervoets

Quote from: FrankU on November 01, 2011, 04:44:41 AM
Ahem... cough cough.... Concrete base?
It could be the result of a bad restoration, or the whole complex is younger than I thought, but usually these kind of castles is older than the use of concrete.

It's not really concrete, it's actually large gray stones (see pic below)

But those small lines won't be visible in the game so I used a concrete texture because of the look (with the algae...). I do think they added a small layer of concrete on top of those stones at some places when they restored the castle some 10 years ago...

So to sum it up: from an aerial view, the base looks like concrete ;)

But I'll try to use photoshop to merge a texture with rocks and algae. And see how that will look...