• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Commonwealth of Marathon

Started by thundercrack83, November 05, 2008, 02:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan_vzla

Hey my firned, sorry for missing the last update... but we went on a trip and there was no Internet... those forests look good!

Anyway... to give a final shot at this wonderful game of yours i'll say for $5000: What are Sarajevo and Oslo?

Hoping to see more of this very fine MD...

Merry Christmas
Alan

thundercrack83

Joan (Jmouse): Hi, Joan! Let's see if you're correct!

projectadam: Hello, my friend! Happy Holidays! There's another national capital that hosted, but the official word will tell us what it is!And thanks for you great comments on the pictures, too!

Pat: Merry Christmas to you, too, my friend! We've missed you around here! But that's OK, this time of year is always really hectic! Take care!

bat: Hmmmm...We'll see...

bluesinjid: Thank you, my friend! And a Merry Christmas to you, too!

alan_vzla: Hello! Don't worry about missing things, my friend—I hope you enjoyed your trip! And Merry Christmas to you, as well!

Our Christmas Eve picture!

DECEMBER 24

It's a mosaïc!

Playing around with trying to make some cookie-cutter, low-income neighborhoods, juxtaposed with a more urban, low-income setting using the fantastic NYC Housing Projects by marcszar. Things are a bit repetitive, but that was part of what I was going for. The neighborhood was loosely inspired by Levittown, New York, which was built as a planned community after World War II.

Official results for December 23...

$1000: Zack (woodb3kmaster), What is Cyprus?
$2500: Zack (woodb3kmaster), What is Saudi Arabia?
$5000: bat, What are Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Oslo, Norway?

The word "current" was crucial for the clue. As bat pointed out, Sarajevo was not a national capital when it hosted the Winter Olympics in 1984, but is now a current one. This question seemed to give some fits! First, Robin and Zack missed "Winter" in the clue and named Summer Olympics host cities, and then the Sarajevo confusion! Speaking of Summer Olympic host cities that are national capitals, there's been a bunch: Athens (1896, 2004), Paris (1900, 1924), London (1908, 1049, 2012), Stockholm (1912), Amsterdam (1928), Berlin (1936), Helsinki (1952), Rome (1960), Tokyo (1964), Mexico City (1968), Moscow (1980), Seoul (1988), and Beijing (2008). What can I say? I like the Olympics!

But anyway...Our final standings—

[tabular type=5]
[row]
[head]
CONTESTANT[/head]
[head]
WINNINGS[/head]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Zack (woodb3kmaster)[/data]
[data]
$14100[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]alan_vzla[/data]
[data]
$7800[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Arthur (art128)[/data]
[data]
$7500[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]bat[/data]
[data]
$5000[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Dan (dsrwhat316)[/data]
[data]
$4800[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Robin (rooker1)[/data]
[data]
$4800[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Paul (paroch)[/data]
[data]
$3400[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]deathtopumpkins[/data]
[data]
$2800[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]projectadam[/data]
[data]
$2600[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Carmine (CarmineHilton)[/data]
[data]
$1600[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]homefryes[/data]
[data]
$1400[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Derry (TheTeaCat)[/data]
[data]
$1200[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Jon (JBSimio)[/data]
[data]
$1200[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Matt (threestooges)[/data]
[data]
$1000[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Joan (Jmouse)[/data]
[data]
$400[/data]
[/row]
[/tabular]

And our official winner is...

Zack (woodb3kmaster)!
$14100

Congratulations, Zack! You were right on top of things from the beginning and it paid off! So, as promised, I will be donating the amount sufficient to get a BSC LEX DVD and it will be sent to you, my friend! You earned it!

I'd also like to thank everyone for sticking around for three whole weeks and playing Jeopardy! here. Because of you, we were able to have a lot of fun and have a successful game! Thank you all so very much!

And lastly, I wish all of you, my very good friends, a wonderful and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

We'll see you tomorrow for our Christmas Day picture!

Oh, and just one last thing...

http://www.youtube.com/v/yErhglOXIxM&hl=en&fs=1
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
"Santa Claus is Coming to Town"
Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey, September 20, 1978

Bruce and the Band in 1978, at their finest! My favorite part of Christmas and my earliest memory of Bruce Springsteen. I remember back as a four- and five-year-old, in the Born in the U.S.A. madness of 1984-85, hearing this on the radio going to get the Christmas tree with my dad. Still gets me every time, and I got to see him play it in Pittsburgh back in December 2002.
Happy holidays everyone!

woodb3kmaster

Wow, what a great birthday present - I had forgotten what was at stake in this game! Thanks so much, Dustin!

As to today's picture, I'm really impressed at your skill in making various neighborhoods, especially this low-income area. I'm curious - did you plop all those lots right where you wanted them, or did you have to wait for all the right ones to grow there?

Looking forward to more, as always!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Jmouse

Oh well, no luck with Jeopardy &mmm, but that's a fine mosaic you've posted for our Christmas Eve pleasure! We don't see many tenements around these parts, at least not in the smaller cities I prefer, but they're a way of life in many areas. Still, that's a fantastic montage you've created with a wide veriety of elements at work. The transport exchange with highway, avenue, road, rail and even a pedestrian crossing is especially well done - love the underpass!

Once again, the best of holiday wishes to one and all...
Joan

threestooges

Splendid selection for today Dustin. I agree with Joan about the transport aspect of the pic. All those parts fit together so well it's like they were all built for that spot. Good work to the creators, as well as the one who did all the dirty work of putting them together. The projects look really neat too, but I don't see as much congestion/people as I would expect for such a dense area, ah well, they're probably all on the trains down there. Lastly, congratulations woodb3kmaster on the Jeopardy win, and the CD that is to come. Thank you too Dustin for contributing such a fine prize. Merry Christmas Dustin, and I'll be curious to see what you have for the rest of the month.
-Matt

JBSimio

Quite a mosaic you've presented as well, Dustin!  ;)   &apls  &apls

Oddly enough, you've picked one of my least favorite houses as the basis for your neighborhood.  Standing alone, as you've done... it works very well and it looks good.  I've always avoided it, not because it's a bad looking house (it's really not at all!), but just because it sticks out so much when surrounded by other houses.  But I digress... The tenaments look great across the freeway there.  I can imagine the whole area as one neighborhood until the highway created a new border.  Urban renewal struck in different ways on either side... or at least that's how my overworked imagination sees it.   ::)

Merry Christmas, my freind!
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

bluesinjid

Wow whata nice mosaic! The ghetto to me actually looks really well made! &apls Never thought repitition would look so good  :thumbsup:

Lilojame

Hi, my friend!
I feel so bad for missing on so much of wonderful updates in this gorgeous MD of yours. I hope, that you can forgive me. Let me just say, that you are doing a superb work in here with everything. Congrats on successful Jeopardy! That was quite an undertaking. I like all the pictures you have posted very much indeed! And that little doggy of yours is so darn cute! We are thinking of getting a dog also, just cant quite decide which one. Tell me please, if this breed is kind to kids?

Anyhow, let me again say, that Commonwealth of Marathon is a wonderful MD!

Merry Christmas, my friend!

Karin

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

thundercrack83

Zack (woodb3kmaster): Well, lots to say...Happy birthday! Merry Christmas! Congratulations! We'll figure out the logistics of getting your prize out to you as soon as the holiday is over. And to answer your question, yes, I did plop everything in the picture. My obsessive-compulsive side tends to fight against growing things, since I can't really control what happens! Thanks for coming by, my friend, and enjoy the holiday!

Joan (Jmouse): Hi, Joan! I'm glad you enjoyed the mosaïc! As for the tenements, there's not too many of them around where I live either, but I've seen similar set-ups that served as inspiration in my frequent trips to the Philadelphia area. Hope you're having a Merry Christmas, my friend!

Matt (threestooges): Merry Christmas, Matt! Thanks so much for your great comments, my friend! You're right about the congestion, too. I would have liked to get more in there, but trying to keep things lined up right for the mosaïc can be a killer! Hope you're having a great holiday!

Jon (JBSimio): Hey, there, Jon! Thank you! I like the Berwick houses, too, though you are right, they can be hard to plop in with other houses. I like your imaginings for the area, too! It makes perfect sense to me! Enjoy your holiday, my friend!

bluesinjid: Thank you so very much! And yes, I was worried about the repetition, too, but I think it turned out OK! Take care!

Karin (Lilojame): Merry Christmas, Karin! I'm so glad you've enjoyed everything so far! As for little Figaro, he is a papillon, and from our experience thus far, he is very friendly with children, and everyone, for that matter. I hope that you and your family are having a wonderful holiday!

It's rather early here—just about 4:00 AM—but, since it's going to be a pretty long day, I thought I'd take care of today's picture now!

DECEMBER 25

Something special for all of you, my friends, for the holiday season! You can view the plain version here.

And one more video surprise for Christmas Day...

http://www.youtube.com/v/YVIiLrpVWl0&hl=en&fs=1
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
"Merry Christmas Baby"
Late Night with Conan O'Brien, December 2002.

Happy Holidays, everyone. You're the greatest friends anyone could have!

warconstruct

Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

paroch

Hi Dustin- Happy Christmas my friend.

Great game of Jeopardy - Congrats to Zack on his victory.

Awesome Mosaic there - I like those R$ houses and don't recall seeing them before, a nice neighbourhood you've created.  And the traffic "Corridor" really is well done.  And as others have said, the transition into the tenements is really great.

And a very nice snowy festive pic to wish us all Happy Christmas - very nicely done there.

Any you still have a week of OSITM to go!!

All the best

Paul

bat

That's a great panorama picture there! And Merry Christmas to you, too!
Fantastic new work on that newest update... :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

warconstruct: Thank you so much!

Paul (paroch): Merry Christmas to you, to my good friend! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day pictures, my friend! I hope you had a wonderful holiday!

bat: Thank you very much, my friend! I hope your Christmas was great!

DECEMBER 26

Here's our Boxing Day picture! I'm still in love with these seasonal trees, especially the autumn ones!

I hope everyone had a much more "merry" Christmas than I had, as I spent the first half of the day not feeling so well, then the rest of the afternoon and into the evening at emergency for a stomach infection. Not the best way to spend the holiday, I must say! I'm still a bit weak and achy, but I think I'm on the other side of it.

bat

Great picture of the seasonal trees there! It is looking beautiful!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jmouse

Hey Dustin, hope you're on the mend and feeling much better! That's a really nice day-after-Christmas pic - I'm a sucker for seasonal trees, too. In fact, it gives me an idea I may want to consult the transit gurus about later on.

Guess it's time now
to wish everyone a Happy New Year. Doesn't seem like nearly a decade has passed since we all sat around and wondered if our grandpas were going to be drafted when Y2K hit! Remember that? ::)

Later...

Joan

Badsim

Quote from: thundercrack83 on November 06, 2008, 12:08:14 PM

A word of caution. In response to so many wonderful comments you've all made here thus far, I feel the need to say this up-front in the hopes of quelling any grandiose expectations--my playing skills are mediocre at best, laughable at worst! I will apologize now (first of many, I'm sure) for any lackluster, pedestrian, or otherwise subpar work, and I hope that all of you who have inspired me so much will help push me on the right track! Proceed at your own risk!

Tssss Tsssss , Dustin , what a skilled way to present this MD as a rookie one !  $%Grinno$%

Each and all pictures shown here since , are showing a particularly high mastering . :thumbsup:

&apls &apls &apls

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

thundercrack83

bat: Thank you so much, my friend!

Joan (Jmouse): Hi, Joan! I feeling better now, though not quite up to 100% yet. I'm glad you enjoyed yesterday's picture, too! I probably could have done each of the 31 pictures for the month with seasonal trees and not even batted an eyelash! They add such a dimension of detail to things that I just can't get enough of! And an early Happy New Year to you, too! I do remember all the Y2K hubbub—I was a senior in high school when the big switch was made and everyone was hoping that the school was shut down because of it. Alas, nothing happened at all! Hope all is well, Joan!

Cédric (Badsim): Hello, my friend! It's so great to see you hear in Marathon on again! I hope you had a wonderful holiday, and your very kind comments are much appreciated! With unbelievably incredible work done by you and many others here, I still have to stand by my initial statement yet, though I think I'm on the right track! Take care!

DECEMBER 27

We're slowly winding things down here on December...another industrial shot, just because I absolutely adore any and all factories (or anything, for that matter!) done by Jess (jestarr)!

I've got another update on the block that I need a bit more time to set-up now...Being under the weather really put a damper on things here in Marathon. That's also providing that I can pull myself away from the Wii Fit that I got for Christmas and have finally been able to play around with!

Stay tuned, friends!

JBSimio

Hi Dustin,

Just here to catch up on the "dailies" again.  It goes without saying that they all look good as usual.  I couldn't agree more about the Jestarr line of factories and industrials.  I shudder to think where we would all be without them!  I'm sorry to hear that your holiday week got off to a bumpy start... I hope you're feeling better!

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

paroch

Nice pics there Dustin for the last two days - yes, those seasonal trees really are something - funnily enough I tend not to use them much myself despite really liking them!  And that distribution centre looks very nice there.

Great pics - and hope you're firing on all cylinders agains soon.

Paul

bat

Welcome to page 25! ;)

That's a great new picture there! Wonderful work on that area! It's a nice industrial image! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to the last 4 pictures in this month, in the last 4 days of the year and in your first OSITM-time!!! ;)