• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

And here is another project that will completely change how we play the game!

Great work here, but then again, I don't think I have to tell you that! I'll be waiting in eager anticipation to see how this comes along.

jplumbley

Ive worked a bit more today.  School has started up again so I will have less time to work on this, but progress will be made.  I have been working on the Cobblestone textures for Andreas.  I still have the Road T and + intersections but here is a couple pics of what I have.

I have also started work on a puzzle piece template for myself and learn how to do it.  But I came up short so I still have not gotten to the point where both of the texture sets can be seen together.... Yet!  Almost though.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

BigSlark

This is an amazing project-the lack of textures have always bothered me.

I have a question, though, are there any diagonal pieces?

Cheers,
Kevin

jplumbley

@Bigslark.. I have already stated that at the time being I will not be doing diagonal pieces.  The number of RULs it took me to get this far is going to be in the range of about 200 to 250.  Double that and you will get Diagonal pieces.  Again, most of these sets never had diagonals in the first place and I am working with exsiting textures and trying my best with my limited texturing skills to fill in the gaps.

If someone wants to take on the challenge after I have the base mod created, Im game.  But there are other project I want to work on afterwards.  I dont expect this mod to be finished for about 3 months maybe longer.  I might when I have the first couple puzzle pieces created and working release a beta that has some of the new texture sets, but thats all.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

sebes

What a wonderful projects.... We can now actually build 'old' city centers! Cool... You're great  &apls
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Gaston

Absolutely in-freaking-credible!       I love this.    I have always wanted to have something like this available.    It is amazing.      ;D

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

jplumbley

Well a few more textures finished.  I have all the road T and + intersections and the straight to Road and 90 turn to Road textures done!  Here is another pic.  Last one for the day.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Skyfire

@ jplumbley: I asked josefmayor for the textures a few weeks ago via a PM on Simtropolis. He just e-mailed them to me when I asked about them. I have them, so I could send them to you, but somehow I think it would be better to get them from him. ;)

And these textures have diagonals, roundabouts, no trucks, and that weird street round about that come with the game. It may have a few other pieces too. It seems to be quite complete.
-Skyfire

JosefBrisko135

Hey guys just to let you know I'm josefmayor! I got his PM and I responded approving and I will send him my set, for the American set it does need some texture improvement but that shouldn't be so hard to do, it's only on the intersections where there are brick pedestrian crossings.
I am also considering redoing the texture to th brick on brick intersection, the one that my partner had done is cool for the Euro but I've seen the same one we have in Tampa in other cities so I'll work on trying to do that and send it in, but I will post in here of all things I add to it to assist in creating this gigantic mod.
Your signature was TOO BIG and TOO BULKY ... System ADMIN

jplumbley

Here's an update on how things are going.

Well, thank you Josef for poking your head in here.  Your textures are greatly appreciated.  I will do my best to help them live upto the standards you and Scruffy were working on.  Thank you.

Now, I have completed to the alpha standards of this mod 3 sets of textures now.

Herringbone Brick Streets

NAM Cobblestone Streets

PEGs Gravel Roads

The goal for this week will be to bug Tarkus when his RLS is finished and bug and bug him until he helps me with the Puzzle Piece starters.  I have tried all week to get it to work but I am missing something and cant figure it out.  I have gotten the piece in the Rotation Ring, but my preview isnt showing.  It gives me a query saying "Unsuitable area to build network", with no preview of the piece.  So, I am assuming this a problem with the puzzle piece itself and not necessarily the RUL 0x10000000.  Once I get the puzzle piece issue figured out I will work on the copying the SC4Path files from the vanilla textures so that they are actually pathed and ready for an alpha test.

I hope this explains a little where I am at.

Thank you everyone for the support.  I will not let you down!  ::)

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Diggis

If you are looking for testers I'll volunteer.  This looks great.

Tarkus

Well, it appears your goal shall be met. :D  I'll probably work on the starter pieces some tomorrow.  RL should be more or less calm now.  I'm going to go on a massive starter-piece-making rampage.  This plus various new RHW things. ;)

It sounds like the issue you ran into is one related to the "false intersection" that's initiating the override.  Namely, the type of "false intersection" you used.

-Alex

Travis

This is looking awesome JP, always needed a good variety of street textures, just adds another bit of realism to the game.
Indeed, if you need testers, I'd be very happy to help out. Looking forward to more!  :thumbsup:

PS: Isn't there an asphalt street mod around somewhere? Would love to see that included.

Edit: Thanks Jan.

Shiftred

Of all the things I have ever wanted for SC4 was the ability to control street textures to this degree.  I can die peacefully now ;D  Thanks for starting and working on this project.

Swamper77

Quote from: Travis on July 10, 2007, 04:01:32 PM
PS: Isn't there an asphalt street mod around somewhere? Would love to see that included.

Not yet. The person working on it never finished their mod.

-Swamper77 (Jan)
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Pat

Jp awsome progress here and now with Alex around hopefully you 2 can nail something further down

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

EDGE4194

Quote from: Shiftred on July 10, 2007, 04:03:06 PM
Of all the things I have ever wanted for SC4 was the ability to control street textures to this degree.  I can die peacefully now ;D  Thanks for starting and working on this project.
- i totally agree and want to add my thanks as well.

Glenni

Hey, just wondering, do you need any custom street light props for the additional street textures? If so, then i can do some for you, but, swamper might need to light them properly though. :thumbsup:

jplumbley

@glenni  Any props that you make for this I can look into adding to the pieces.  I will be learning how to do T21s later and do my best to make these pieces look better.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Glenni

I was thinking of old style signs, like for example the street signs you see at every street crossing in game, where they show streetnames, old style ones of them maybe, smaller light posts for the cobblestone streets, but as for the dirt i'm not too sure. maybe nothing at all oh btw, is there any way you could make the dirt texture transition to whatever street texture, more subtle and such? :)