• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM2DAMN needs your help!

Started by daeley, January 18, 2009, 01:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daeley

With some minor modifications, it is now possible to use the DAMN for network items (the last version will soon be updated) but there quite a lot of items to go through, plus they need to be categorised. For the puzzle pieces to be usefull for the DAMN I would need them to be categorized in categories of 6-7 items (this is the maximum number before scrolling is needed). 8-10 is acceptable, but should only be an exception. There can be any number of subcategories, so something like:

o Network Addon Mod
> RHW
   o RHW-2
   o RHW-4
   o RHW-6
> Road
   o Road overpasses
   o Elevated Road puzzle pieces
     - Elevated Road
     - Road over Road and Street
     - Road over Avenue
     - Road over Rail
> Rail
   o Rail Overpasses
   o Elevated Rail Puzzle pieces
> Elevated Rail

is perfectly possible as long as each menu has no more than 7 submenus.

First, we will need a good catalogue of items. This should look like a bit the code above, entirely filled in for all puzzle pieces (you can find a list of all puzzle pieces on top of RUL 10000000). Puzzle pieces can still be cycled with HOME/TAB even if they are selected with the DAMN, so not everything needs to be in this list. Then, when we have this catalogue, I will need 44x44 icons for as many puzzle pieces in the list as possible. With these, I can then make the required scripts for the NAM2DAMN.

So if you are a NAM user, and you are bugged by the huge number of puzzle pieces, please help out a bit. Many people will be grateful :)
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Meastro444

Another Idea would be adding the normal draggable networks and stations (if possible) that way we never have to look into those menu's no more.
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

daeley

Quote from: Meastro444 on January 18, 2009, 01:46:36 PM
Another Idea would be adding the normal draggable networks and stations (if possible) that way we never have to look into those menu's no more.

that's possible yes :)
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

A200

Sorry if I am ignorant, but what is NAM2DAMN??

daeley

The DAMN (thread: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2917.0; download: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1775) is an extension of the news system that works like an additional menu system. With the NAM the amount of puzzle pieces has become so large it would be nice to put all these in the DAMN as well for easier browsing.

1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Jonathan

Would it be possible to have a link to the maxis network's menu, at the top of each NAM2DAMN menu, and when you scroll the link stays at the top (so 'outside' the scrolling section)?

Jonathan

JoeST

Well, I was going to post before, but the site stopped working and I had a lecture. But anyway, I just wrote (copied) out the list of all puzzle pieces in the NAM here (originally in the NAM Manual) and will be making a DAMN list soon, maybe.

Oh and Jon's idea is awesome, I was also thinking what about "The Rest" of the maxis stuff... but thats a tad HUGE :D

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

daeley

great stuff Joe! I'd give you some karma if I could :)

Just one remark: when you compile a list for the DAMN, could you include the 4-digit hex ID of each puzzle piece as it is defined in RUL 0x10000000 (e.g Pedmall centre pole 0x6000, cobblestone 0x6080, pavement 0x6090 etc) as I need those to link the DAMN buttons to the puzzle piece.
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

JoeST

I will try... if I ever get round to it :)

And Jonathan helped with that list too ;)

Joe

daeley

I see some of the numbers have been filled in already! Excellent work!  &apls You're Aweseome  :thumbsup:

I will try to pitch a few myself If I find the time.
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

JoeST

most of the numbers have been added by Jon, I havent the foggiest what they are for really :D

Joe

daeley

quite simple really, I need those ID's for the DAMN. add 6A47 in front and they become button ID's

for example, if A500 is a network piece, calling the function game.tool_plop_network(hex2dec("0x6A47A500")) will open up the tool for that piece.
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Stefan79

The button ID's are not ever 6a47xxxx. The RHW draggable piece and the original SimCity pieces have different numbers not beginning with 6a47.

I have extracted the RUL and icons from NAM, and the buttonID's and icons from SimCity_1.dat and build a Test-Menu for DAMN with the next version of SSPTool+DAMNPlugin. It will be out next week, so be patient.
SSP = Stefan's Self-made Productions

Jonathan

Button ID is a property inside the exemplar, it is not the icon or exemplar's IID.
And Unfortunately it can only start with 6A47.

Jonathan

callagrafx

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Stefan79

Quote from: Warrior on February 21, 2009, 05:25:13 AM
Button ID is a property inside the exemplar, it is not the icon or exemplar's IID.
And Unfortunately it can only start with 6A47.

Jonathan

You are right, the button id is a property inside the exemplar. And for nearly all NAM pieces they start with 6a47.
But the RHW draggable piece and the network pieces of original SimCity have different one. Open the SimCity_1.dat with iLive Reader and filter only the exemplars. Now sort the Group instance and search for the plopable pieces. The first IID is 00000001 (Zoning) and with 00000020 the network pieces begin. Inside the exemplars is the property Item Button ID with not starting 6a47.
In the DAMN internal LUA script you use the game.plop_network_tool(hex2dec("buttonID")) to set the network piece. This goes well for all NAM pieces but for the RHW draggable and for SC4 network pieces you set the different not starting with 6a47. And you can believe, it works. I test it and can choose the network piece from DAMN and drag the SC4 railway, road or street for example.

Stefan
SSP = Stefan's Self-made Productions

Jonathan

The exemplar at IID 00000001 is zoning, and at 00000020 it is the draggable road network, so they wont use 6A47.

6A47 is for all items in the RUL File 10000000, which are only puzzle pieces, and as zones and draggable networks aren't puzzle pieces or in the RUL File 10000000 they wont use 6A47.

In the RHW file, there is the exemplar for the RHW-2 (The draggable one) and it is a network left over from Maxis, so it as well wont use 6A47.

Jonathan

daeley

I think the NAM2DAMN doesn't need to include draggable networks, as there's only a few of them. All RHW's for example can be dragged with the same RHW draggable, they just require different starter pieces. I think for now it's enough if the NAM2DAMN includes only puzzle pieces, and all of those have an ID starting with 6A47.

Thank you for your work on this so far stefan  :thumbsup:
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!