• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tecnical support needed: game crashes and "self-turning"

Started by 0rion79, October 27, 2008, 10:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0rion79

Hi all, it was a while that I was in need to make this question.

It is a while that I'm forced to save very often when playing with SC4, because I'm affected by several unexpected quit-to-desktop crashes. Very often it happens when I use ped miles from NAM, the textures from SAM or when I use the zoom to change visual, but I can't say the frequency and sometimes it just happens.

Now, I have seen that I have almost a 2 GB plugin folder and I was thinking about using Dat packer (or watever), since I have heared that too many single files scattered into many subfolders will eventually slow down the game a lot... but I want to edit some more proprieties first. Anyway, do you think that this can be the cause?

Also, after downloading additional textures and plug-ins for CAM, I have seen that the game now is automatically turning every plopable building toward the adjacent street. EG: if I want to plop a mayor statue, even if I press Home or End to turn it in the direction that I want, the game will turn it to the original position. So, I have to demolish streets to plop buildings in the direction that I want. I'm almost sure that the game was NOT doing this before. How can I fix it?

Thank you!

RippleJet

Quote from: 0rion79 on October 27, 2008, 10:16:51 PM
It is a while that I'm forced to save very often when playing with SC4, because I'm affected by several unexpected quit-to-desktop crashes. Very often it happens when I use ped miles from NAM, the textures from SAM or when I use the zoom to change visual

This is the single most well known reason for CTD in the game.
It has been known since the first version of NAM and there is no solution to it, other than being careful when placing puzzle pieces near transit enabled lots.

Below is a quote from the NAM readme, that I suppose you've thoroughly read: ::)

Quote from: NAM Readme, Technical Notes
1.4.2 Placement & Transit Enabled Lots

An issue with the game which may cause the game to crash has been identified. At this time the exact precise cause of the issue is yet to be determined. The following outlines the general-case scenario in which the issue may cause the game to crash:

Items related to known issue:

• Transit Enabled Lot(s) (TEL); this can include both Maxis originals & any custom made TEL.
  • Interchange Related Item(s) (IRI); this can include both Maxis originals & any custom made items that are interchange-base related, such as; Highway Overpasses; Ramps; Cloverleafs; PuzzlePieces; & other similar item(s).
  • Cursor of Interchange-base Related Item(s).

Point of Crashing:

If the Cursor contains an IRI on it & then this Cursor is hovered over &/or clicked on (&/or repeated) a TEL, it can in some circumstantial cases cause the game to instantly crash to the desktop. Currently this is only known to occur if the IRIs' network on the Cursor is the same network with which the TEL is compatible with.

Solution:

Currently at this time, a full-proof work-around to the issue is not yet known. It is simply advised that users avoid moving the Cursor over a TEL if the Cursor has an IRI on it to minimize the chances of the game crashing. It is also advised that any TEL that exists in a city has its compatible network drawn right into/through the Lot, as this will also minimize the chances of the game crashing.

For more information on the above issue, see the following thread: Cursor + Transit Enabled Lot = Crashing.

The issue described above has been looked into, & currently at this time evidence seems to point to the problem existing within the games' executable itself, therefore there is nothing that can (currently) be done about this to completely & properly rid of the bug (unless Maxis decides to address the issue). The reason the issue has been mentioned here is because it has a probable significant impact on the use of this mod & those that use it.

wouanagaine

Now, I have seen that I have almost a 2 GB plugin folder and I was thinking about using Dat packer (or watever), since I have heared that too many single files scattered into many subfolders will eventually slow down the game a lot...
Yes lot of files will leads to crash especially if you zoom in/zoom out fast
If you want to use datpacker, just edit your properties in the original file, then run datpacker.
If you want to reedit properties after that, just move your original file back, edit, and rerun datpacker

Also, after downloading additional textures and plug-ins for CAM, I have seen that the game now is automatically turning every plopable building toward the adjacent street. EG: if I want to plop a mayor statue, even if I press Home or End to turn it in the direction that I want, the game will turn it to the original position. So, I have to demolish streets to plop buildings in the direction that I want. I'm almost sure that the game was NOT doing this before. How can I fix it?
Make sure you do not move the mouse while clicking to plop the lot, if the mouse move ( and with an optical mouse it can move alone ) then the orientation is reseted

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

0rion79

@wouanagaine, no way.
Even if I don't touch my mouse, that is optycal, the game forces every plopable object to turn and be oriented toward streets/roads. You know, when you plop any object, there is an "arrow" that shows the building "main" side, and then that side looks actracted toward the street as iron from a magnet.
I think that I should make more tests because I'm almost sure that some new plug-in is messing up the game.

CasperVg

You can change the plopable arrow direction with the Home-End (or was it PageUp-PageDown?) arrows. Indeed, sometimes the arrow can be really stringent in the direction of the arrow, but, like wounagaine noticed, even the slighted touch can cause it to go back to it's original position.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

0rion79

I already do as you suggest: I use Home and End keyboard buttons to change the buildings directions, but they will turn automatically even if I'm not even holding the mouse in my hand. There is a sort of "auto reset" option.

bob56

the same thing happens to me wit the GLR: If i place some track, then place a station, it crashes. So i place track, wiat a while, place other buildings, then place stations. Then it doesn't crash

Ive never used the ped mall tiles, so i dont know what happens
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19