• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BSC Texture Index

Started by geoffhaw, August 20, 2007, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: godfreygodfrey on November 29, 2021, 01:11:32 PM
Is it still possible to get a texture range? Would be much appreciated... Thanks.

F9300000-F933FFFF is officially yours.  :thumbsup:

-Alex

thepabray75

Hello @Tarkus / SC4D moderators,

Could I please request a texture range?

Many thanks!
thepabray75

Tarkus

Quote from: thepabray75 on April 11, 2022, 12:40:22 AMHello @Tarkus / SC4D moderators,

Many thanks!
thepabray75
Welcome to SC4D, and yes, most certainly. :)  Your range will be 0xF9340000-0xF937FFFF.

-Alex

thepabray75

Quote from: Tarkus on April 11, 2022, 07:15:09 AM
Quote from: thepabray75 on April 11, 2022, 12:40:22 AMHello @Tarkus / SC4D moderators,

Many thanks!
thepabray75
Welcome to SC4D, and yes, most certainly. :)  Your range will be 0xF9340000-0xF937FFFF.

-Alex

Thank you very much!

koumus corporation

I have thought about automata replacement since i started to play the game and recently made attempts at grasping that operation, even if there seem to be no tutorials anywhere on what i want to do.
I have a couple models already that seem to work fine when replacing them in mikeseith's replacemnt mod in reader, but i have yet to figure out how to make them replace specific maxis cars like i want.

I want to make these public eventually and dont want to realise at that point that i did things ass backward and have to redo a hundred files, so i am here making humble request for texture ID range for koumus.

Tarkus

Quote from: koumus corporation on May 24, 2022, 02:13:16 AMI have thought about automata replacement since i started to play the game and recently made attempts at grasping that operation, even if there seem to be no tutorials anywhere on what i want to do.
I have a couple models already that seem to work fine when replacing them in mikeseith's replacemnt mod in reader, but i have yet to figure out how to make them replace specific maxis cars like i want.

I want to make these public eventually and dont want to realise at that point that i did things ass backward and have to redo a hundred files, so i am here making humble request for texture ID range for koumus.
If you're planning on making automata, then you would not need a range from the BSC Texture Index. 

The BSC Texture Index is intended for Lot textures (Group ID 0x0986135E), whereas automata generally use the same Group ID (0x1ABE787D) as transit network items.  As long as you're not using Instance IDs in the 0x50000000-0x5FFFFFFF range (which the NAM makes use of with Group ID 0x1ABE787D--we have that same range reserved in GID 0x0986135E within the BSC Texture Index, too, for the purposes of creating Lot textures for NAM items), you should generally be safe. 

There's no real index or control over the IID space for GID 0x1ABE787D outside of that.  I've not done any automata modding personally, but your best bet is to use a randomized IID--unless you're directly replacing Maxis models/textures, in which case using those IIDs would be necessary to override the originals.

vester is probably the most experienced automata modder around, and he has a couple of threads here that might help you--his tutorial thread on automata modding is here, and he started a help/questions thread for automata modding here.  He still lurks around on occasion, and there are likely some others with automata experience who might be able to help you over there, too.

-Alex

koumus corporation

Quote from: Tarkus on May 24, 2022, 05:44:58 PM
Quote from: koumus corporation on May 24, 2022, 02:13:16 AMI have thought about automata replacement since i started to play the game and recently made attempts at grasping that operation, even if there seem to be no tutorials anywhere on what i want to do.

If you're planning on making automata, then you would not need a range from the BSC Texture Index. 

The BSC Texture Index is intended for Lot textures (Group ID 0x0986135E), whereas automata generally use the same Group ID (0x1ABE787D) as transit network items.  As long as you're not using Instance IDs in the 0x50000000-0x5FFFFFFF range (which the NAM makes use of with Group ID 0x1ABE787D--we have that same range reserved in GID 0x0986135E within the BSC Texture Index, too, for the purposes of creating Lot textures for NAM items), you should generally be safe. 

There's no real index or control over the IID space for GID 0x1ABE787D outside of that.  I've not done any automata modding personally, but your best bet is to use a randomized IID--unless you're directly replacing Maxis models/textures, in which case using those IIDs would be necessary to override the originals.

vester is probably the most experienced automata modder around, and he has a couple of threads here that might help you--his tutorial thread on automata modding is here, and he started a help/questions thread for automata modding here.  He still lurks around on occasion, and there are likely some others with automata experience who might be able to help you over there, too.

-Alex

I will make note to stay clear of the 5-5F range. Another project i have in mind where i still might need a range is a SAM variation of streets with parking on both sides and hopefully the same with road ( maybe replacing one of the NWM options? ), i have now already accurate scale pavement textures that i wanted to implement along with my Sergels Torg and Kulturhuset releases but found learning about modding too much bother then.

bladeberkman

Hi! Never done this before, but I'd like to try and create some personal textures and ensure that they don't conflict with any existing textures. May I request a range? Also, what is a range?  :D If you have x as the start of the range and y as the end of the range, what is in between? Maybe there is an explanation somewhere of what numbers falls between the two values.

Thanks!

-Blade

BartonThinks

Quote from: bladeberkman on June 25, 2022, 02:23:22 PMHi! Never done this before, but I'd like to try and create some personal textures and ensure that they don't conflict with any existing textures. May I request a range? Also, what is a range?  :D If you have x as the start of the range and y as the end of the range, what is in between? Maybe there is an explanation somewhere of what numbers falls between the two values.

Thanks!

-Blade

Each texture needs a unique ID number, so your range covers a complete range of unique texture IDs available for your use. Basically, any number between x and y will not conflict with an existing texture.

The one thing to bear in mind with textures is that certain digits have specific functions. The final digit indicates the zoom level of the texture, for example, so each texture will actually take up 5 different ID numbers, rather than just 1 ID.

Also, one of the digits (I forget which one -- it's been a while since I made textures) is used for making wealth-dependent textures. If you use certain numbers for that digit, the textures will act funny, so you'll need to avoid those numbers for that digit.

The best how-to resource for creating textures (IMO) is the GoFSH manual. Which is convenient, because GoFSH is also the best tool available for turning image files into FSH textures (again, IMO). Here's a link to the download page on ST.

Tarkus

Quote from: bladeberkman on June 25, 2022, 02:23:22 PMHi! Never done this before, but I'd like to try and create some personal textures and ensure that they don't conflict with any existing textures. May I request a range? Also, what is a range?  :D If you have x as the start of the range and y as the end of the range, what is in between? Maybe there is an explanation somewhere of what numbers falls between the two values.

Thanks!

-Blade
I've just allotted F9380000 through F93BFFFF to you.  Being that these are hexadecimal numbers, each digit will go from 0-9, plus A (10), B (11), C (12), D (13), E (14), and F (15), so when you get up to, say, 0xF938009#, you have another six digits you can use for the seventh digit, and can then keep going up to 0xF93800F#, instead of having to immediately go up to 0xF938010#.  In theory, you have 262,144 IIDs available within your range, though as BartonThinks has described with the zooms and wealths, you're looking at spots for fewer textures than that, but still, space for tens of thousands of textures.

-Alex

bladeberkman

Thanks for the explanation BartonThinks and Tarkus! I will check out the GoFSH manual and see if I can figure it out. -Blade

Gilles Therron

Hi guys, I recently got back to SC4. Now I just want to make some things better for myself and maybe the community. I'd like a range for the textures. Thank you in advance.

Grtz,
Gilles

Tarkus

Quote from: Gilles Therron on August 24, 2022, 04:18:48 AMHi guys, I recently got back to SC4. Now I just want to make some things better for myself and maybe the community. I'd like a range for the textures. Thank you in advance.

Grtz,
Gilles
I've just allotted F93C0000 through F93FFFFF to you.

-Alex

Gilles Therron

Quote from: Tarkus on August 24, 2022, 11:25:56 PMI've just allotted F93C0000 through F93FFFFF to you.

-Alex

Thank you, Alex.  Another question, maybe you can help me. I try to run SC4BatInstaller.exe, but it keeps telling me that SimCity 4 Deluxe isn't installed. I installed the game on D:\Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition. Even tried to make a soft link to C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 (and Deluxe, and Deluxe Edition), but it won't find it.

Hmmm, I was going through the "How to create and Mod Textures" tutorial on Simtropolis, but I'm already stuck. The FSH files created by iLive Reader can't be read by FiSHMan or GoFiSH, both say the files are corrupt. So before I even started.... *sigh*

Tarkus

Quote from: Gilles Therron on August 25, 2022, 02:51:07 AM
Quote from: Tarkus on August 24, 2022, 11:25:56 PMI've just allotted F93C0000 through F93FFFFF to you.

-Alex

Thank you, Alex.  Another question, maybe you can help me. I try to run SC4BatInstaller.exe, but it keeps telling me that SimCity 4 Deluxe isn't installed. I installed the game on D:\Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition. Even tried to make a soft link to C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 (and Deluxe, and Deluxe Edition), but it won't find it.

Hmmm, I was going through the "How to create and Mod Textures" tutorial on Simtropolis, but I'm already stuck. The FSH files created by iLive Reader can't be read by FiSHMan or GoFiSH, both say the files are corrupt. So before I even started.... *sigh*
Particularly for smaller/initial batches, null45's PngToFshBatch is a really useful utility.  I tend to use GoFSH for larger, more complicated projects, and PngToFshBatch for the quick-and-dirty stuff.

As far as your BAT installation issue goes, I suspect the BAT is reading the Windows Registry to look for the installation.  If you by chance had your SC4 installation somewhere else and later moved it (or switched installs--i.e. you had a disc copy and then went to a digital copy), it's possible the Registry is still referring to the old location.  regedit.exe will show you--the registry key usually used for SC4 on 64-bit Windows is Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Maxis\SimCity 4, and the InstallDir key is where the Registry has the installation directory installed.

-Alex

koumus corporation